Which one for a revolver?

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by 338RUM, Oct 1, 2010.

1. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

OK,

I want to get into handgun hunting but do not have a legal pistol... SO I want to buy a nice heavy duty revolver in either 45 Colt or 44 Mag but do not know which would be better for distances limited to 100 yards and 75 yards being typical. I will be hunting deer possibly a Black Bear or 2 and they both seem about even but I wanted you guys suggestions on the cartridges AND suggestions on what pistol to get it in... To be honest this will be my first major adventure into revolvers and I really don't know much about them.

2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

While I always believed the .44remmag had advantages over the TC/Ruger .45(lc) They are slight and rather a personal opinion,about like the old .45(lc) and the .44-40.(The big advantage to the .44-40 was the Win M73 being chambered for it.) This wasn't the question but I feel obligated to sugest checking out the .454cas or the S&W .460 which are usually a tad heavier for better holding on target and both have extra power if you want but will also handle any .45(lc) load out there from light to heavy. (while there might be a price difference,I really believe if you are serious about handgun hunting,it's well worth the difference)

3. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

I never thought about the 460 S&W... you are on to something here sam!

4. Mmmm.

please consider firing or at least watching someone fire a revolver in the high power range.

While some do master these guns they are not for everyone.

Also, consider gun price and ammo price on calibers such as the four sixty.

I do not say the high power revolver scenario will not work for you. I just recommend some serious study.

5. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I have shot the 454cas and the 460...I can attest they are beasts even in a ported handgun. Is the extra power useful? You bet! BUT, it is useful only if you can HIT something with the thing! I found the 460 to be uncomfortable to shoot with 460 rounds in it. 5 shots was enough for me! In order to be competent with a revolver out to 100 yards it takes practice. Get a handgun/cartridge combo that is comfortable for you to shoot and practice. I might add that the 460 with 45lc rounds was very comfortable. That large heavy handgun made the 45lc seem like a 22lr! A HUGE difference from the 460 rounds!

6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Nate,ol' buddy,as I stated,the .454 cas and S&W .460 are both capable of firing the lowest powered .45(lc) ammo out there including CA ammo.They also recoil less than lighter guns.As to price the cheapest .44mag that would be in hunting class would run about $500.+ with souped up .45(lc) about the same.Taurus has a .454cas with a MSR of $967.The S&W .460 is chambered only by S&W and their MSR is $1485.but the ones I know of were bought for around $1100.This video shows a lot.,,,[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFZCRs6jdmM]YouTube - Christina Firing Smith&Wesson 460 XVR Magnum Revolver[/ame] Never saw targets checked any better.That christina really has class.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  7. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Was there a revolver in that video? All I saw was camo! :09:

8. One advantage of the 44 Magnum over the 45 Colt is the strength of cartridge brass.

Some guys like to overload the 45 Colt somewhat in today's very strong revolvers such as the Vaquero

However, one problem is that the 45 Colt brass has traditionally not had to handle very high pressures. So a lot of 45 Colt brass is not as heavy and robust as the .44 Magnum brass.

The heavier duty brass cases add a safety factor to the .44 Magnum as compared to a 45 Colt loaded stout.

For that reason, I personally would rather have the 44 Magnum.

At the more mild load levels of factory 45 Colt, you are safe, but then you no longer close part of the gap between the two cartridges.

Get a 45 Colt if you enjoy Cowboy shoots, etc. If that's not a consideration, I would go with the 44 Magnum.

9. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The only "danger" I ever noticed was if I wasn't wearing safety glasses and a case split.There is a danger to the chamber but not immediately.Properly annealed .45(lc) cases last a long time,even with TC/Ruger loads.

10. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

well I was leaning to the 45 LC side and Sam made a good point, a X frame S&W does not have to be fed magnum ammo all the time so I could build myself up to the super heavy loads, but all will have to be taken into account but I also am not very keen on a 70 oz pistol either

11. Just go with the 44 mag and forget about the supar powerful smack your face big as a phonebook 5-shot revolvers, OK?

Sheesh. If the 44 Mag isn't enough gun for you, get a rifle.

If you reload, the 45 Colt would be good too.

Hard to beat the beautiful old Smith & Wesson Model 29

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  12. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Quality brass matters. Starline's 45 Colt brass when cross sectioned is as substantially made as their 44 magnum brass. Once fired +p brass from Corbon, Buffalo Bore and Garrett are also good choices.

13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I take it that is a personal annalisis.At 70yrs old I find the .454cas "sweet".I dont own a S&W .460 or .500 but have shot both quite a bit and think them excelent hunting handguns.I do however I agree a man should use what he can handle best.At one time I was excelent with a M686 combat magnum S&W 6"bbl and used it to take deer and a couple antelope under 50yds and never had any complaints.It handled so easy I found it simple.Still would reccomend/use it today.

14. For Deer and small bear only the .44 Magnum will be plenty gun. The .460 Magnum will take down just about any living creature but as pointed out above the ammo is very costly. That is if you can even find it.

15. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

^ Since I reload everything even the .454cas only costs a few cents more than a .45(lc).I don't own a .460S&W but it would be just a little more than that,and always available.

16. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

Well if you don't reload, .44 mag would probably be one the most popular calibers to buy for amongst the others that have been mentioned here. My dad has a S&W 629 and that thing will shoot the balls off a gnat @ 100 yds. It's really a good shooter. You can tailor loads to get maximum accuracy too if you reload. It's got something like a 4 3/4 or 5 inch barrel. It's stainless, a little heavy, but the weight helps to absorb a little more recoil too. With some soft rubber grips on it, it's very comfortable to shoot some hi powered mag loads out of it. Not a big deal to carry it either, you'll want to find a comfortable holster though. Let us know what you decide on.

17. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee

Between the two you listed, I would recommend the .44 Magnum. I own and shoot a several of these critter-getters (three Rugers, three S&W, and two Taurus). They are excellent for handgun hunting.

If you want open sights, either S&W or Ruger are excellent. If you want to scope it, I find the Ruger Super Red Hawk has an excellent scope mount system, and balances better than the S&W with a scope on it.

Also, the Ruger Red Hawk and Super Red Hawk are stouter (heavier, thicker) than the S&W, therefore, the felt recoil is less, and you can shoot hotter loads on a regular basis, with less wear and tear on the gun.:D

18. flyingbrkracing

flyingbrkracing G&G Enthusiast

...and this is why the .44 Super Red Hawk will be my next HG purchase.

19. If you get the Redhawk, you may need to invest in some trigger work.

My son's Redhawk must have about 8 lb. trigger pull -- very hard to use. I've shot it a number of times.

When squeezing off your shot, you have to pull so hard on the trigger your hand develops a tremble. This makes it very hard to hit anything.

So . . . . the Redhawk trigger is what they call a "lawyer's trigger." Trying to head off lawsuits by proving the trigger is "safe." Well, that's fine because lawyers don't care if the shooter can hit anything or not. Apparently Ruger doesn't care either.

If Redhawks are all like my son's, I wouldn't own one.

20. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Personally, I would choose a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag. It is very easy to maintain/clean. I have shot many a deer with one, and have had excellent results. If you're hunting from a stand or a blind, this is the way to go if you have good eyesight. If you have old weary eyes like mine are now, you might opt for a scoped Redhawk. There is no real need for double action while hunting but the Redhawk is so easy to scope as opposed to the Blackhawk. The 45LC will get it done as well, but if there is a chance at taking a bear the 44Mag gets the nod.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010