close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which Pumpgun

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Jun 2, 2002.

Which Pumpgun ?

1. Remington 870

23 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. Winchester 1300

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. Mossberg 500/590

23 vote(s)
    39.0%
  4. Other

9 vote(s)
    15.3%
  1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Remington 870, Winchester 1300 or Mossberg 500/590 ? Why ? :fuss: :rolleyes:

2. Adirondack Bill

Adirondack Bill G&G Newbie

Mossberg 500 got my vote over the Remington 870 for two reasons. By spending $200 it can be converted to a muzzleloader & replacement barrels are cheaper then Remington. I've owned both of them & never had a problem with either one.

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Mossberg 500a is right next to my bed with 00 buck. For price and reliablity you can't beat a Mossberg!

4. Mossberg 500--16 1/2 barrel with 3 inch 3/4 ounce slugs every other round 00 buck.

5. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper G&G Newbie

IMO, the best shotgun on the market, regardless of action type, is the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag. There are two simple reasons that I feel this way; it performs great, and it does so for less money than its main competitiors.

6. StevieB.

StevieB. G&G Newbie

I like the best one on the market-that being the Winchester Model 1300 Defender.
    It's action is the smoothest.
    It's cheaper in price usually.
    Hold 8 rounds, which isn't bad.
    Has quite a heritage.
    Is robust enough for the job at hand.
    Wins-hands down in the "looks" department.
    It is just hard to find anything bad so say about the Winchester Model 1300 Defender.
    --StevieB.

7. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    started with 870, will finish with a 870
    have a lot of respect for mossy's etc. just personal pref

8. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I agree with StevieB...but there isn't a bad choice in this poll.

9. Winchester Model 12, hands down. It is the absolute fastest pumpgun ever made. All the modern pump guns have sear disconnectors, the 12 doesn't.

10. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

You can't beat Mossberg's price. Also, if you like light weight in a shotgun, it wins in that regard. Action is reliable, takes 3" shells. Most aftermarket accessories (Others are close, but not as many). And the 590 with heat shield and bayonet lug is unbeatable.

I've used a Rem 870 as well, fine gun, just has different tradeoffs. Never used a Winchester. One thing I'd like about them is that the shape of the buttstock connection would give a firmer lock than the flat ones.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2002
  11. I shot a moss 500 with a 16 1/2 barrel, pistol grips on both ends 3 inch mag. behind 3/4 ounce slugs. Man you better have a good grip when you pull the trigger.

12. Armorer

Armorer Guest

I had a bullpup Mossberg 500. It was crap.

Carried an 870 overseas, would not leave home without one.

13. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

I would go with a Winchester 1300 or a Remington 870 in a pump gun,they are the best pump guns the market.And if you need to clean/lube the action the trigger houseings come out in one piece, unlike the Mossbug.

14. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Never liked the Mossberg Bullpup. Horrible balance, felt really clumsy, grips feel awkward.

15. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

:assult: :assult: :assult:
    I'm the proud owner of a Moss 590 marinecote finish.
    I shoot it every week at the range and it is customized to the max.
    I like it's simplicity, it's reliability (have never jammed or anything) and the fact that you can buy an array of accesories wich you may combine in a matter of minutes to go out with the right setup for the ocassion.
    My heart is with the moss
    In my group of friends there are 870's & 1200's but my preference still goes with the 590.
    :assult: :assult: :assult:

16. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I'm an old school guy so I'm going to stick with my 870. I must say that my Mossy was alot cheaper and I've never had a problem with it...I also have an Ithaca model 37, it too has it's advantages. I like the ejection out of the bottom. I'm planning on sending my 870 to Scattergun Technologies to have it 'suped up', but I keep seeing other guns that I need more. Ah, to win the lottery.

17. 870 is all I ever shoot. If your looking for value, the 870 express is as cheap as the best of them and comes in 3.5" mag now.

18. Hangfire

Hangfire G&G Newbie

I like the Mossy. The price and the fact none of the others have caught on to the top tang safety. No looking for a little button stuck in a corner.
    That said, the others aren't bad choices just not my choice.

hf

19. ScottD

ScottD G&G Newbie

Shot them both and worked on them all. I really do like the rotary bolt on the Winchester and had to vote that way.

20. I have a Mossberg 500 for home defense.

I voted for the Winchester, because I think they all are good shotguns, I have always wanted the Winchester 1300 Defender.