close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Which Rifle from CMP

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by beaurt, Apr 6, 2002.

1. beaurt

beaurt G&G Newbie

Gents,
    I have been saving up my cashola for about three years now. Just sold my CAI (hope I don't get a flame war started:fuss: ) and got my paperwork in order for the CMP . Now for the hard part, I have to make a selection. I got my education on the M1 strictly from this forum when it had the old format. I know just enough now (I think:rolleyes: ) that I want a pure USGI Garand. What do you guys think about the Danish Garands? I'm leaning torward one of those with the VAR barrel. I don't want rack grade either. If I go for a non Danish, then I have to scrape together a little more money. I'm looking first and foremost for accuracy and then historical correctness. I will utilize this weapon as a shooter, then a target rifle for highpower competition, and finaly to admire as a historical piece. This criteria leads me to the Danish VAR. Do these guns have any type of import makings other than the barrel? Do they look just like the ones that Joe carried in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam? If not, then I will go for a non Danish. Thanks for any replies, opinions, and facts. I can't wait to get that paperwork in the mail.

2. Go for the Springfield VAR

I would go for the Springfield VAR barreled M1.

3. Dvmmatt

Dvmmatt G&G Newbie

I have two Danish M1's. One is SA with a VAR barrel. It has a Danish Walnut stock that has a distinct look that is different than the US riffles. I also have Winchester Dane. It looks like the US riffles. The only other mark is the serial number stamped on the bottom side of the stock just behind the trigger.
    If I was just going for a shooter, I would get a dane.

4. I' ve recieved my Danish Springfield in Feburary. Its all SA. Throat erosion @ 2 1/2. Shot a 420 out of 500 on a JOHN C. GARAND Match. The rifle can shoot better than me, we have to get on equal terms. I cleaned her metal and stock, ironed out minor dings and a light sanding. Finnished her off with appropriate Danish Oil. Looks great! Still has charactor.:nod::D :nod:

5. My Danish has all US parts. The only way to tell it from any other GI Garand is the serial number stamped on the bottom of the buttstock and the circular cut out on the bottom of the pistol grip which I assume held a rack number button.

I am very happy with my Danish and would not hesitate to order another one.

6. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

My Danish is all SA ( that I can tell ) , except the Danish stock ( different wood ) .

No import mark on the barrel or receiver .

The VAR barrels are suspose to be very accirate .

Wyr
    God Bless

7. beaurt

beaurt G&G Newbie

Thanks all who answered. Looks like the Danish wins. Probably will be a Springfield. Is there anything better about the Winchester? Is it really worth a few extra bucks? I doubt it, but I'm interested in hearing everyones' opinions!

8. I've been told its more of a collectors item. Less of them were made. I understand the lure of a Winchester I'm thinking of getting an off-the-rack M-1 in winchester and rebarrel it to 308. Lots of 308 surplus out there.

9. I wasn't alive then but...

I wasn't alive then but on a discussion board it was pointed out Winchester had problems with thier receivers and Springfield helped them out.

So to answer your question, I would stick with Springfield on the M1 Garand.

Another interesting point is when the contract was over Winchester (under direction of Department of Defence) sent the machines over to Italy so they can make the M1's for sale while Uncle Sam was still giving them away.....

10. I wasn't alive then but...

I wasn't alive then but on a discussion board it was pointed out Winchester had problems with thier receivers and Springfield helped them out.

So to answer your question, I would stick with Springfield on the M1 Garand.

Another interesting point is when the contract was over Winchester (under direction of Department of Defence) sent the machines over to Italy so they can make the M1's for sale while Uncle Sam was still giving them away.....

11. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

A lot of people consider the Winchester more collectable , but of lesser quality , than Springfield .

If you put the 7.62 NATO barrel on it , keep the origional barrel , as the collectors value of the re-barreled rifle is much diminished .

You are correct , the 7.62 NATO ammo is much cheaper . I have a Garand that has a commercial 7.62 NATO barrel .

By the way , no military weapons are chambered for .308 Win , except , possably some sniper rifles , most probably bolt guns .

Wyr
    God Bless

12. WryTrister, I've searching for the nato barrel for the Garand. No luck yet. Do you or anybody else know where to order them from?

13. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

MidwayUsa.com , Brownells.com ; but these are short chambered . This is not bad , they can be headspaced to YOUR bolt , but you end up spending extra $$$ for the finish reamer setup .

Also check Fulton Armory and Orion 7 , they can do the job turn key , for you , maybe Dean's Gun Restoration .

If you are interested , I am chatting with a person that has a commercial barrel in 7.62 NATO , that is looking for a SA .30-06 barrel .

WyrTwister@hotmail.com

Wyr
    God Bless

14. Douglas Barrels has the barrel. Thanks

15. Beaurt:
    The Dane with a VAR barrel @ $425. is also my choice, but there is another option that would fill both of your needs quite well:
    Buy the Springfield, not Dane, "rack grade" for $400. and a Springfield "target grade" barrel @ $100. ($500. total).
    You will have an all USGI gun and a "new" target barrel.
    Also you could get lucky...(1) the original rack grade barrel may shoot great. (2) The rack grade barrel could be "correct" (3) The wood should certainly be better than the Dane Beech/Birch (4) Possible slight chance that the target grade barrel would match the receiver.
    I am getting ready to place my CMP order. I will order an S.A. Dane w/VAR and an HRA target grade barrel to go on my nice HRA import with a bad muzzle that shoots all over the place.
    Decisions are fun :confused:
    Gary