Which rings for new XL7

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by bobvonb, Sep 7, 2010.

1. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Evangelist

my son picked up his XL7 30-06 this evening and is all excited. I have a Burris 3x9 50mm objective scope to loan him. What rings are appropriate for this? Thanks

2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I don't think 50mm would be my choice for deer hunting but it will work,probably with high ringsI have no experience with the rifle mentioned but commonly a 50mm lens means a high mount ring set to clear the bell with the barrel.Two ways to go,use the 800# and talk to midway,natchezss or others or go in the local gun shop with the rifle and get the right rings.Also,sometimes the adjustment knob/bell is a problem with the bolt and sometimes you need the rings that move the scope forward/back about 1" to get proper eye relief.I prefer dovetail to Weaver bases not that there is anything wrong with Weaver,just that dovetail seems more perminent and if you remove the scope it goes back to the same place more precise to me.If you use weaver type be sure the notch is for a round bolt or square one.Some bsaes have square notches and round ones and rings have corresponding bolts.I guess either would work as I have innerchanged them but sometimes had trouble with them.A little play is a lot in a scope mount.And recoil will find anything that is loose,even with a .22lr,say nothing to an ,06.(square pegs just don't fit round holes right) Maybe someone on here can advise.I like to mount as low as possible to prevent canting the rifle if possible.Tell your son "HI". ,,,sam.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010

3. I've gotta 44mm objective scope on my XL7. I bought the Leupold Rifleman medium height rings. For a 50mm I'd go for the high rings seeing as my 44mm objective has 1/4 inch or less clearance with the mediums.

4. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Evangelist

hmmm. Sam has me thinking. the 50mm is lying around and is available for use until he scrapes together the funds to get the one he wants. Maybe I'd be better off getting him a $80 scope from Wally World to tide him over.

5. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

An after thought on mounts.I just never think aluminum because I don't use them.I guess they're ok but steel seems more perminant.Whichever you use,be sure to get any wire edges off before attaching.I usually just gently stone the edges or take a knife and gently scrape them.Be sure to use degreaser and clean the tap holes in the rifle and then I run each screw in to make sure it screws in easily and deeper than it will go when you put it through the base.I try each screw and lay it back so I can put it in the hole I tried it in.With dovetail you need a metal bar or something to get the rings straight.Weaver type should be honed out.I hone dovetail just enough to get any wire edge.It really helps hold if you use specified inch pounds. Locktite is an option but be sure you don't get it in a hole tat stops below the screw.Take your time. ,,,sam.

6. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Evangelist

now that is some solid advice. I wouldn't have thought to clean up the rings and bases, but it sure makes sense. My son is a mechanic with a bazillion tools, including in-lb torque tools so we'll definately do that too. The XL7 comes with base attached so that isn't an issue. Thank you, Sam.

Oh, yeah, I bought a classic Weaver KV 3-5 scope last year, just because I thought it was neat, and it came with classic steel Weaver mounts. So if they are tall enough, or I pick up a smaller objective scope, maybe we'll use those. I've been holding on to the Weaver to put on one of my older mil conversions but maybe he'll like that, although it seems like you just aren't anybody without a 3x9 these days.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  7. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

To me the reason the 3x9x40mm is so popular with American hunters is it works.It isn't perfect and a lower power would gather more light in failing light situations or a higher power would give more detail at long range.But the 3x will gather sufficient light for most failing light situations as late as you should be shooting and the 9x will give detail out to 300yds which is about as far as most should be trying to make a killing shot.I had a mulie jump up once and he forgot he was a mulie and ran like a whitetail instead of stopping about 100yds or so.At 300yds he stopped on a sidehill and turned sideways.I was using a .257rob and 100gr BTSP,s pushed by enough IMR3031 to get it over 2950fps someplace.Sighted in at 200yds it would be about 7.5" low at 300yds.The Dr. I was hunting with volunteered to be my rest (since his gun wasn't ready and mine was,he used to complain about the simplest things,I said he could hold his fingers in his ears) I zeroed in and the 3x9x40 leupold I was using gave perfect detail so I held about 8" above the point of his shoulder and gently squeezed the trigger.My rest dived to the side so I used my bynocs and that nice 3x was lying right where he had been standing.I probably would have passed on that shot if I hadn't had that little extra power for detail.It was like shooting 100yds with some of the lower power scopes I have used.One time I was after a speed goat and he kept going down over this rolling ridge.I knew he had 16"or so horns as I had seen them when light was good.By the time I got where I could see him it was really low light and he was about 35/45yds.I wanted him.I was using a .308 with 150,s in it but at that range it made little difference.I believe I had a Nikon 3x9x40 that time and had it on low power.I could just faintly make crosshairs out.I centered on his shoulder far enough back to make a little mistake good.He went down right there and never even quivered that I could tell.Both of these shots were on the border line of something I might have passed on except I had good scopes both times. Altho I have used a lot of straight power 2.5x up to 4x and my favorite is still a 2.5x7 for hunting,the 3x9 has served the hunting world wonderfully for years and looks like it will continue to do so.My experience with some of the Chinese scopes they have,they are a little blurry at longer range (150yds and beyond) and in cold weather you might find the gas doesn't keep them clear.Guess I got carried away.Sorry. ,,,sam.

8. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Evangelist

nah. not carried away. great info. I've only ever used a fixed 4X, but can see the logic at both far and near for the 3x9. Still, I'm old school and will ease into the variables with a 2x7 this year on my new 7x57.

9. I like my 5-20 X 44 Nikon that I have mounted on my XL7. Great pipeline gun and I don't have a problem with low light. If I can see it through my bino's to make sure its a legal deer, then I don't need (or want) to see it through my scope :D