Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy my second Mil surp rifle (first is Mosin M44)and I'm hoplessly stuck. I cannot decide between the Swiss K31 and the German K98. Let me know what you guys think of both. I appreciate any information that can help me make up my mind. There are just to many guns I want.
Thanks
matt

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Standard answer is of course..................GET BOTH!:09:

Although I see AIM has an M95 Austro-Hungarian M95 "Stutzen" 8x56R Mannlicher Carbine on sale for 89.95

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate you making my decision even harder gandog. Now I have three rifles to decide between. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Hi Madsmatt. I saw the K31 on sale online for $199. Thats a pretty good price. The K98 would be better purchased in person. They can be in pretty bad condition. I looked around for a few months before buying my K98. A lot of them have shot out bores. So be sure to check that when looking. The K31's I saw seemed to be in very good shape.

On ammo. The K31 7.5 Swiss is not cheep but you can find a lot of it right now. The German K98 8x57 or 8mm Mauser ammo is easy to find and doesnt cost that much relatively speaking. Most will be corrosive though so you do have to use soapy water or windex or whatever you use to clean the corrosive salts out.

So Id buy the K31 and get as much ammo for it now that you can afford.
IMHO. Mil

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Well, you got the right first one, but unfortunately, you'll find that there will be another mosin with it soon, even if you're sure you only bought another k98 or a k31. Mosinitis is a blessing and a curse my friend... be strong.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I put my vote on the K-31. Don't get me wrong, both of the two are fine choices, but seem to enjoy my K-31 more than my Mauser. The Swiss spent some good money for great quality, and that quality still shows in them today. They come with chrome lines bores that are almost always still mirror bright. The Swiss also never put corrosive ammo through them which benifts todays collecters when buying the because you almost can't go wrong with them. They also have a very smooth, strong action. Plus, the ejection of spent rounds is amazing, they really zing outta there! lol They offer great acurracy too. Just all around fun to shoot. The Mauser is a good choice too, but too me it's just a little too plain in operation. The ammo for the K-31 can be salty though, but it is very available currenlty. If I were you, I'd go play with the both of them at any store that had them, then decide. Who knows, I mean everyone's taste is diferent, I just like my Swiss a little more than my Mauser. Good luck, and let us know what you come home with!

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Get the K-31! You won't be sorry! Also, I agree with picking a K98 that you've looked at personally. But then again, there's a Enfield No 1 Mk III in your future as well.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Get the one that they will be out of first, you may not find them again. I have both and like the swiss better but thats just me. Good k98's are getting hard to find and soon the k-31's will be too. get both before they are gone you will not be sorry.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I agree with Steve. Get your K31 then your K98 then look into a nice Enfield. You won't be sorry with anyone of them. Of course then you have to start buying more Mosins.

·
I can justify anything.
4,878 Posts
One more vote for a K-31... Sweet shooting rifle, neat weird factor at the range, too..

Get one and then start figuring out what a rifle like that would cost to make today.. It's a bargain at $200!!

And THEN get the K98...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been looking at the K-31's from classic arms and they've been calling my name. I think I'm going to go that direction. I appreciate the suggestions guys.
matt

·
Registered
499 Posts
Matt, do it. I just recieved my K31 walnut stock from classic arms on monday. The action and blueing were both very shiny, and the bore was in much better shape than I thought. The stock was roughed up, as expected, but I paid the 10.00 to get mine hand picked (it was recommended to me to do that, and I pass along that recommendation to you). I haven't shot it yet, but I've worked out some of the dents and scratches by draping a wet cloth over the stock (I removed all metal first, which was really quite simple) and then ironing it. The steam goes into the wood and raises some, but not all, of the dents. Then I sanded it lightly and started applying a finish, I used tru-oil. The difference is huge. it's a nice shiny dark color now, and still has the rugged "used" historic look that contributes to the K31's appeal. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Standard answer is of course..................GET BOTH!:09:

Although I see AIM has an M95 Austro-Hungarian M95 "Stutzen" 8x56R Mannlicher Carbine on sale for 89.95

yeah i looked at those too. but i think the ammunition must be hard to get. if its just a collector that would be a good buy. but if your'e lookin for a shooter i'd go with the mauser.

·
Registered
216 Posts
when I cant decide I buy the most expensive one first, If i have to save $$$ for a gun rather have to save the cheaper amount lol

·
Registered
495 Posts
twisterx, do you happen to have any before and/or after pics?
i already have a beech k31 that someone did an awesome refinish job on, but i would like to get a brunette (walnut) to go with it. maybe try my hand at making it pretty.

here is the beech. i dont have a name for her yet...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts