• GI

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Mil Spec

Votes: 6 42.9%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Like I want, the 9mm, not hard at all if you have a handgun licence. A .45 is possible, you need a letter from your club saying you`ll use it for silouette, but its not accepted in other competitions, either 9mm or 38 super is the go. Currently I can buy that 9mm for about 960 and change, under 970 anyway with fixed sights. the next step up ( loaded, adjustable sites runs a few hundred more ) FYI the cheapest I can get a 686 is about 949 I think. I was fully committed to a 686 until Randall the uber salesman pointed out the price of the springfield 9mm, I handled it, liked what I felt A LOT ( I am left handed, and it was a dream to rack, lock back etc ) I am going out to the out door range to view a couple different comps, service pistol and practical pistol and then I will make my choice... I can only buy one then I must wait 12 months to buy another, this is just while my licence is fresh, after the 12 months I can buy more. Frankly its all I can afford as I plan to buy new.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Good luck with the mil spec LD, y`know I dont think I`ve seen a Hi power offered for sale here, and Sig Sauer is pretty expensive from memory. Thats what drew me to the Springfield, unquestionable quality and a particularly competitive price. Oh, and the fact it `felt` right from the first milisecond it was in my hand. Mer, I am thinking it will have to be my second handgun purchase, I am at this stage { come back in 10, I`ll have changed my mind :( } thinking that a 686 will be the better first purchase.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Smith & Wesson 586/686 revolver is one of the best .357 magnums on the market. The .357 has long been recognized as one of the best man-stopping handgun cartridges ever produced, and was once widely used by law enforcement agencies. After being released in the early 80's, these revolvers were rapidly adopted by numerous police forces in the US as well as sport shooters and other gun owners due to their power, durability, and accuracy. Built on a durable L-frame, this weapon was designed to endure the constant pounding of magnum loads. Because the .357 magnum is the same diameter as the .38 special, (the name was changed to distinguish the two) these revolvers will also fire .38 caliber ammunition. The 686 is the stainless steel version, while the 586 is blue. Besides the standard 4-inch barrel, the 586 & 686 also come in 6-inch, while the 686 is also available in 2-1/2 and 8-3/8 inch barrels. A 7-round variant, the 686 Plus can also be purchased for a slightly higher price. Most law enforcement agencies have now abandoned their revolvers, but these weapons remain popular and readily available throughout America.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I have been useing a nice 586 for my compulsory competitions to obtain my licence. Lovely thing to shoot, the trigger is unmolested, I asked, but would be best described as well worn in. Common sense tells me a revoler with a 6 inch barrel would be the best all round handgun for me to compete in a number of different disciplines and allow me to obtain good results. I was just, well, tempted by a 1911. Always wanted one since I was a kid watching war flicks on the TV. One must not lose sight of the fact that a handgun for me in my country is for competition purposes. :target:

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
L.D. Just for fun, a P226 Sig Sauer in 9mm is $3200 here, and thats a `special`price. I could get a Springfield 1911 in 9mm and a smiff and western 686 for that and get change. Not knocking Sig, fine guns..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used to have two Sigs..sold one to a cop to raise money for a Colt 1991A1..but then I started looking at what I could save by buying a Springfield Armory instead...I still have my 229 in .40 caliber

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Johnny, unless you just want a 1911, you ought to take a look at the Springfield XD lineup. I really like the trigger on them-light and crisp!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
When I get a semi auto pistol, it will undoubtedly be a 1911... As fine a gun as the XD`s are, the second handgun I buy will be a 1911, and it will probably be a Springfield, taking the price and quality into consideration. However, it will be 12 months minimum ( due to the restrictions placed on me regarding how many guns I can buy in the first 12 months of my handgun licence ) after I purchase my 686 revolver. I paln to actually place a 25% deposit on the revolver soon, pay it off over 8 weeks and then it will collect dust in the gun shops safe till probably next march ( argh!0 before I can legally bring it home. Sucks to be me :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the money for a stainless Colt 1991A1 :...: my dealer's distributor doesn't have a Springfield or a Colt yet :hmmm:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm headed for the foreign made 1911A1 (dark side)

Logansdad said:
my dealer's distributor doesn't have a Springfield yet :hmmm:
they got the Springfield Armory stainless Mil Spec

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mil-Spec 1911-A1

Springfield's Mil-Spec pistol is a faithful recreation of John Browning's classic 1911-A1. If you are looking for traditional features and quality in a no-nonsense package, the parkerized Mil-Spec is for you.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts