Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Whitetail hunting with blackpowder revolver

Discussion in 'Muzzle Loading' started by rando, Aug 11, 2012.

1. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Mar 27, 2010
    Anyone ever hunt whitetail deer or similar sized game with a blackpowder pistol? What caliber and pistol did you use and also amount of powder and bullet size. I go blackpowder hunting for deer every year with one of my 45 or 50 caliber rifles. Im looking for more of a challenge this year and thinking of using my 44 cal. Pietta. Its an 1851 Navy model. They are legal to use where I hunt but must be over 40 cal. and use 40 grains or more of blackpowder. I usually use treestands close to the ground and woods not too thick around me. What are you guys thoughts on this.

2. chesterwin

chesterwin Moderator Staff Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Last time I checked it wasn't legal in NC but that was a while back. If you keep your shot to a minimal distance, it should drop a deer with no problem. Many a man has been dropped with them in years gone by. I'd use a soft lead bullet instead of ball though.
  3. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

Sep 12, 2008
    In MD I use a pietta 1858 Remington 44 cal with a 12" bbl 40 gr of BP a fiber wad and a round ball. Last one I shot was an easy 50 yards and she had no problem falling to a well placed ball.
Draft saved Draft deleted