• Maverick 88 with Moss 500 Rifled barrel and Sabot Slugs

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Schmidt Rubin

• Rem 710 in 300 Win Mag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SMLE Enfield

• You're such a gun nut, you forgot one you already have, and I remember it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of those options are really a good idea, but here's an affordable and good one that is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For legal deer hunting in this state, I have a 91/30 Mosin, a Czech M98/22 Mauser, a Savage 111G in 300 RUM, and a Mossberg 590. On my want list are a SMLE (preferably in 308), Maverick 88 (Mossberg 500 barrel interchangeable), Remington 710 in 300 Win Mag, and a Schmidt Rubin. Other bolt guns are far enough down on my want list behind semis and pistols that I'm not listing them for consideration yet.

When I finally get off my arse and get safety certified and find the time to go hunting, I'm wondering which I should take.

The Savage is longest range and flattest trajectory. Mauser is tough as nails and dirty enough already that I don't mind giving it the beating it can take. Mosin probably has the best range of affordable hunting ammo for a milsurp rifle. It is also the lightest rifle of the bunch, at least among what I have. Mossberg 590 is smoothbore only, so I'd have to use Brenneke Rifled slugs, which I have in abundance. In this state, hunting shotgun capacity is 2 in tube, 1 in chamber. Rifles must be manually operated, but capacity is unrestricted as far as I know.

Anyone have any suggestions on what is best for hunting whitetail deer? Guns I already have are preferred.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
my advice would be to try out all your mil-surp rifles with hunting ammo. at hunting distances, then use the most accurate. only hunted Pennsy once, carried a Remington M-78 in .270. all i got was plenty of exercise:(

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
I used my Custom Nagant and the Yugo Mauser this year and retired both on some nice whitetails both were single shot kills -- just remember nothing beats practice and traing and a good round - you also don't need a mag for a whitetail

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Using the Magnum wouldn't be for power, but for range, flat trajectory, and accuracy of the rifle. Recoil doesn't bother me, especially if it's one shot-one kill. Noise might be an issue though. Glad I don't have a brake on that thing.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
BRG you remind me of a guy I know in Oregon -- he always has to have the highest velocity and flatest shooting rounds -- yet my standard rounds always seem to hit just the mark and do half damage to good meat while making a clean kill -- last Long distance shot was 619 yards with my VSSF on a Boar in the Indian Valley reservoir area of PRK. Pig hit behind the ear and dropped in its tracks. Just practice and use an old war horse.

·
Registered
517 Posts
At one time, one of my hobbies was huning whitetail with non-sporterized mil surp rifles (iron sights only). The SMLE was pretty challenging. Load development is difficult, since the action butchers brass, and the .303 British is not a very flat shooter. I would use either the Czech Mauser or a Mosin-Nagant, depending on which one will shoot a better group at 100-200 yards.

Magnums are totally unnecessary for whitetail. A .243 does the job, and shots in excess of 200 yards are extremely rare.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,861 Posts
develop loads and become proficient with all of them, then use a different one evry season.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by FEG
Magnums are totally unnecessary for whitetail. A .243 does the job, and shots in excess of 200 yards are extremely rare.
I know they're more than necessary, but the fact is that I have one and am not afraid of the recoil. If in a different caliber you'd recommend the same rifle (say I had a Savage in 308) I see no reason to exclude this one. But I do think the Mosin is the lightest, fastest handling, and among all the milsurps, has the best hunting ammo selection for the price.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
BR, I'm somewhat confused as to the concern for flat trajectory flights.

I guess what I'm saying is if the gun is sighted in to hit POA at, say 100 yard, who cares if the bullet has a moderate arch versus a lesser or greater arch?

I'm not sure just what kind of terrain you will be shooting in but in the thick wooded areas of NE Pennsylsvania it was unusual to get a shot over 150-200 yards and most people would encourage no shot over 100 yards.

With that, and considering the relatively smaller frame of the white tails, I'd say the MN would do a find job for you as well would the Schmidt Rubin.

I, myself, have taken most of my white tail deer with the good ol' 30.30.

I've not had any experience with the SMLE and I think it and the 300 Mag is a bit much on smaller white tails.

Just my opinion, mind you.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have 308 already and have no desire to get into another standard quality military round. I already have 308, 30-06, 7.62x39mm, 8mm Mauser, 7.62x54mm, and now 5.56 NATO. And that's just military rounds. Only other military rounds I'd buy into would be super-accurate stuff like 6.5 Swede or 7.5mm Swiss.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've sort of been leaning pretty much towards the Mosin or the Savage, depending on what I like better after carrying them around for practice and grouping them with hunting ammo. It's basically flat shooting scoped rifle vs standard power light weight open sited mil-surp. I'm wondering if I should get a synth stock for hunting with the Mosin, since the wood stock is a little delicate (as old as it is), so I could keep the wood stock clean for use and display out of season.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
savages sierra rifle in 308 win. more than enough for PA white tail and light enough to carry up and down them there hills.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The main problem with .303 British is the cases. All of the Enfields except the Pattern 14 have actions that loack at the rear only. This is incredibly hard on the brass, which makes .303 difficult to reload. Since .303 cases are much more expensive than .308 cases on average, this is a bit of a problem. As a group, .308 loaded ammunition is also less expensive than .303.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts