Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to show a couple pics of a cool find, dug this up out of field with cultivator in a place that has been farmed since before the 50's. must have been in the ground for close to 100 years or so. Manufactured around 1882-1886 in Whitneyville Armory in CT. This was found in central Alberta.

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,121 Posts
You don't see those every day. You planning to attach a forearm and a buttstock so it can be displayed?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,864 Posts
"Forgotten Weapons" on Youtube has an episode on this rifle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't see those every day. You planning to attach a forearm and a buttstock so it can be displayed?
Yes i would like to get a fore and butt stock for it...any idea someone who reproduces them? I also need to straighten the barrel, was bent by the cultivator when it was hooked.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,121 Posts
A good blacksmith can probably straighten out the barrel, or maybe a frame repair guy at a body shop. If you have pictures of an intact rifle, a good woodworker should be able to make up the wooden bits you need.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,864 Posts
Google Images has a lot of good pics of this rifle. Good guide for a woodworked to work from.

52609a4x1.jpg
52609a4x1.jpg
4fa9324586708f41c847c13e2e8e9b3a.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,109 Posts
Nice find. That barrel may need to be heated to bend it back . Also less chances of it cracking in half. Ii am thinking that you may find an old wood stock set for the older lever action rifles and rework the ends to fit into receiver. Front piece also as long as it is long enough. Maybe IMA or GunParts Corp.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,121 Posts
You might try checking with Sarco, Inc. They have all sorts of stocks and forearms in the warehouse, and not all of them, especially the ones of which they only have a few each, make it into their weekly ad in Firearms News. Give them a call and see if they have any parts that might help you bring your find back.

Reactions: C2C7Alberta

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I contacted a fellow from the Whitneyville Armory Museum. The gun was manufactured in march 1883, and was special ordered with a double set trigger - pretty rare. The one trigger is missing. im taking my metal detector out to where we found it this spring and hope to find some more pieces....

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Reactions: C2C7Alberta

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Here's a Whitney Kennedy with double triggers and the "S" lever. Probably what your would have looked like originally. (click image to enlarge)
upload_2020-2-25_14-26-33.jpeg

·
Banned
744 Posts
Wonder what kind of story is related to this fragment. Is it worth a search for other related artifacts? Can't stand a mystery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wonder what kind of story is related to this fragment. Is it worth a search for other related artifacts? Can't stand a mystery.
Once the ground thaws, Im going out with my metal detector to search for more. I took a quick scan of the general area late in the fall and got about 10 hits on the metal detector in about 3 minutes. the area we found this, is the original homestead cabin location on the quarter section. should be a few more good finds waiting in that ground....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts