close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

who has aftermarket sks stock?Pics?

Discussion in 'SKS' started by fullMetalJack, May 23, 2014.

1. fullMetalJack

fullMetalJack G&G Addict

hey guys, I was wondering who has some different stocks.im interested in getting one but there is a few to choose from. Timbersmith,tapco,promag , are the ones ive looked at. Whats your opinion on your stock?

2. GSFixit

GSFixit Curmudgeon In Training

PA

3. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I have an older ATI stock. I love everything about it except that I need a socket wrench and extension to take the grip off before I can ever disassemble the rifle.

4. Doug76

Doug76 G&G Regular

My Yugo in the TAPCO stock.

Attached Files:

5. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Evangelist

I like the Archangel one, looks like it's finally available for shipment to the states, it was previously only available in Canada. I have mine in a Tapco T-6 stock with a drill and tap scope mount and handguard that I fabricated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my1871colt45 likes this.
  6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

But I LIKE the original wood.

Oh well, your gun.

TheJoker and SKS NOOB like this.
  7. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

I did what I did to mine to make it lighter so if I had to carry it with other stuff it wouldn't be as much of a burden. Doing this, however, makes the rifle feel front heavy (I have the Yugo 59/66). I am also aware that with the wooden stock I can beat the crap out of my opponent if stabbing them with the bayonet doesn't get em first. Yes, I have actually though of changing it back and still debating on it.

8. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Evangelist

Most of the aftermarket stocks actually make it heavier, I know for sure that the Tapco does.

9. PaleHawkDown

I switched mine because my rifle was unissued. My stock still looks like new and I still get to play around with my rifle.

10. Doug76

Doug76 G&G Regular

I have the Yugo also, and for what I wanted the gun for it made no sense to me to leave all the unnecessary stuff on it, and as was noted, it makes the gun very nose heavy. I bought mine to hunt with, and cared not to keep it original, but to enhance it's use for hunting.
    So off came the bayonet, all parts related to firing grenades, and lastly I cut the barrel down to just in front of the front sight, and then recrowned it.
    The barrel is now exactly 19", and the new crown slightly improved the accuracy, and more to the point it is only slightly nose heavy now.
    I replaced the stock with TAPCO's, and it makes the gun easier to handle, and look cooler, although that isn't important. I went with the OD stock, just to be different, and I'm glad I did. I'm the only one of my shooting buddies that doesn't have an all black SKS as a result.

11. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    The ATI folding stock is not the best. I would stay away from that one.

12. Doug76

Doug76 G&G Regular

Sorry, forgot to add photo to my previous post.
    Older pic, it now has an OD vertical forward grip. Black one given to a friend.
    Yugo SKS 7.62x39s (800x341).jpg

13. warbladejm

warbladejm G&G Newbie

Not really aftermarket... picked up another stock, stripped it, stained it, threw on some accessories

[​IMG]

14. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

The one in the middle is my SKS with a modified Choate ambidextrous stock.

Attached Files:

SKS NOOB likes this.
  15. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

I have an ATI folding stock, a Tapco stock, and an original Chinese stock. The rifle came with the ATI. I changed that to the Tapco and the Tapco is better. Than after a while, I changed that to the original wood stock. The Chinese wood stocks are very light and I think it looks better. It also it stiffer for the times you need to buttstroke something. All the stocks are very close in weight. The ATI Monte Carlo stock is heavier than all of them. My Dad has that one on his SKS.

The Timbersmith would probably be heavier than all the others. No experience with the ATI Archangel or Dragunov stocks. I think the Archangel is too thick at the hinge and the Dragunov is too weak.

16. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Over the summer, I managed to break the original stock on my Yugo M1959/66A1.

Now, I generally don't...gulp...sporterize my MilSurps; but, since I was kind of forced down this path, I am trying to make the best of it.

I bought a Timbersmith replacement. It is a gorgeous brown laminate. With just a cursory fitting, I am really excited. The fit seems perfect. The only problem is that they have not made the cut for the bayonet. I guess most folks remove their bayonet. I think a bayonet might be a handy item in the post-zombie-apocalypse. I'm looking for a wood smith to cut the bayonet groove and the sling mount recess. The stock is far too pretty to let me hack on it. I'll post pictures when I have it all put together.

SKS NOOB likes this.
  17. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

With a solid wood stock, the SKS becomes a short spear with a club on the other end. Tactics, that I know of, they don't teach much in the military now. A lost art I says.

18. PaleHawkDown

I use my bayo as a monopod when I shoot prone. It would take a lot of sharpening for it to be an effective weapon.

19. BigalR

BigalR G&G Newbie

I have the black Timbersmith laminate. Have the same problem with the cut for the bayonet. Thought about using my dremel to make the cut. Let me know how you do it.