Who has the best price on relining a barrel?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by J.A., Mar 21, 2002.

1. J.A.

J.A. G&G Newbie

Got a Bolo that has no rifling left in the barrel. Who,Where does the most cost effective(cheap) barrel lining job?

2. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

I'm just getting into that, having just gotten a C96 myself. Here's what I found:

Redman's Rifling & re-boring
    189 Nichols, Omak, WA 98841 509-826-5512
    Quote: $100

The Gun Rack
    12461 Adams,
    Brooksville, FL 34613 352-597-3794
    Quote: $80

Now, what I've heard is that both places are very good. What I found was the guy at Redman's wanted to spend some time on the phone and discuss my options, and to ask why I wanted 9mm instead of .30 Mauser. We talked for about 20 minutes, and what I found out was that the shorter 9mm round can "stovepipe" (get jammed pointing straight up) between the barrel and the bolt. And yes, this CAN explode.

In addition to the relining, please consider changing all the springs and ESPECIALLY the bolt stop!!!!! MUCH better to do that than to wind up with a faceful of bolt!

Hope this helped. Be sure to check out http://www.northwest-denture.com/mauser1896/
    This is an EXCELLENT site.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2002

3. Tony @ WCG

Tony @ WCG G&G Newbie

Ohio
    Who ever you go with, make sure they know what they are doing and have a good reputation. Redmen is well know and they do quality work. Always install replacement bolt stops and new springs. Sometimes the 9mm can mess up but I find that rarely and most feed fine. I still recommend the 30 Mauser, it is a nostalgic and neat cartridge. Ammo is easy to find at shows in several European makers including FNM and Fiocci (sp?). Never use 7.62 Tokarev ammo.

4. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

By the way, Old Western Scrounger is making NEW .30 Mauser.

5. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

I have to retract that earlier post, with apologies. Gun rack quoted me a lower price, two week turnaround, and they are a "full service" shop. I'm getting the gun refinished and they'll replace all the springs and selected parts, will check headspace, and repair as necessary for a total of $160.

Redman's quoted me $100, they only do reboring/relining.... and their turnaround is 4-8 weeks.

Bottom line: $60 more gets me the whole deal in 1/2 to 1/4 the time. Sending my gun out this week, will let you know how things develop. I'll post before & after pix, too.

6. J.A.

J.A. G&G Newbie

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting my pistol relined to 7.62x25mm as I have a CZ-52 and a Nagant revolver cylinder bored out to 7.62x25mm.
    I shoot mostly Fiocchi and my reloads. I have no desire to shoot any of the hot Czech ammo or other surplus ammo so I figured that getting my pistol lined for 7.62x25mm would be safe???
    Mico,
    Can you send me some before pics?
    jfreeman246@comcast.net

7. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

Hi, JA.

I'm planning on taking some pix this weekend. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT shoot Czech ammo through the Broomhandle. I have a CZ52 semiauto which uses that ammo, and it's some of the most powerful ammo I've ever used in a handgun. I sure as hell wouldn't run it thru my Nagant, either. I find .32ACP is all I'm willing to use on that one.

These are old guns, and it's just not worth losing body parts over. Your best safety margin lies in having the C96 professionally redone, and then using .30 Mauser with it. Like I posted above, Old Western Scrounger sells NEW ammo for the Broom, and Starline makes new brass.

I'll post the pix as soon as I get them done.