close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Who has Weatherbys?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by NRAJOE, Jun 9, 2002.

1. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Who has some of these beautiful rifles and who can suggest a model and scope combo? I've wanted one of these for years. Plus what do you recommend as an all around caliber? I was thinking either .270 or .30-06...

2. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I came close to buying a stainless Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Weatherby Mag. Most comfortable stock I've ever felt, which is why I wanted one. I'm now aiming for a Savage in 300 Ultra because of greater accuracy and lower price.

3. Topstrap

Topstrap G&G Newbie

Yep, I got one but it isn't a pretty one, it'a a Fibermark in 300 Weatherby Mag. It's been awhile since I've had it out and it's hard to remember, I believe it'a a 6.5 X 24 Leupold Vari-X III scope on it and has a Harris bi-pod. It's extremely accurate, I have it sighted in at 625 (yep, I'm not lying, I have access to a really large farm and it's my long range groundhog getter). The day we were sighting it in at an old stripmine using a Lazer rangefinder we kept moving out to further and smaller targets. Finally using a 24 power spotting scope we found a small white rock and it was exactly 625 yards away, kept hitting what appeared to be behind it... thought maybe missing it slightly and making a dark spot so close it appeared to be behind it. When we drove over and found the thing we were shooting at it was a white rag weed flower about 3 inches across and I had shot peices of it off. Not all shots hit it but I believe the flat center area of a paper plate would plenty big enough to hit consistantly. The gun is extremely accurate but does tend to become uncomfortable after an afternoon of shooting it steady. Mine prefers bullet weights in the 180 and up range. I think they are a great gun, but I believe they are overpriced, the reason I got this one is a freind owed me money for a job I did for him and I took it on partial trade. I think a Remington or other respectable brand is just as good but there is something about bringing a Weatherby out of a case and the people tend to gather around..

Topstrap

4. Ramboy

Ramboy G&G Newbie

I have a Weatherby Mark V in .338 Win. Mag that I elk hunt with. I love it. It has a synthetic stock. I put a Burris 4X12 scope on it, and a muzzlebrake (a must!). It is a good "brush beater" gun, and shoots very well.

My baby is my Mark V LazerMark...this is the most beautiful gun I've ever owned...even prettier than my Sako Forester. It is chambered in .340 Wthby Mag. I put a muzzlebrake on this one as well. I also put a Leupold Vari-X III on it. I leave this one in the safe and "show off" to my friends and neighbors!

5. NRAJOE

Thats what Iwant Is a Mark V with the beautiful wood stock! Don't like all that synthetic stuff, I know Its easier to take care of but It don't turn me on like a polished wood stock...oh man now I gotta get off here and kiss on my wife I'm all worked up now...lol

6. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I have a beautiful .460 Weatherby. YOU want to come shoot it? It's great to brag about but it sucks to shoot. I shot it the first time when I was 12 years old. That's where all the scratches on the stock came from. Just couldn't hold it and stand at the same time. Good Shooting!

7. Ramboy

Ramboy G&G Newbie

Muzzlebrake on your 460?

Eric, if you don't have a muzzlebrake on your .460, I would suggest doing so. My .338 and .340 walloped pretty good also until I got a muzzlebrake. It reduced the kick by a solid 50% or more! (no lie). I know that the .460 is a monster bullet, with quite a kick, but it would help you out to do that. It cost me $100 at my local gun shop.

Now, I have to ensure that I wear my electronic ear protectors in the woods due to the loud boom, but it's worth it.

8. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Ramboy,
    Now that sounds like a great idea. I haven't even thought about it. I haven't shot it in years. It's just become a conversation piece. I reckon it's time to break it out again. Good Shooting! Eric

9. 300wbymag

300wbymag G&G Newbie

i have a Mark V in 300 Wby Mag ( go figure) w/Leupold
    2.5-8 Vari-x III. Bought it w/ a Burris 4X but changed the scope.
    It may be available if anyone is interested. I bought it used unshot and have probably gone thru 2 boxes of remington with
    it sighting-in.

10. NRAJOE

PM me on this site and tell me what you want.