Who here owns one or more tractors for farm, acreage, ranch or homestead?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by d_p_holland, Sep 9, 2020.

1. A tractor seems the centerpiece for America's landowners to make short work of many tasks.

What make/model/year tractor do you own? What size/HP model do you own as compared with the number of acres you have to maintain?

Which personal tractors are the best for the money: New Holland, John Deere, Kubota, Massey-Ferguson, other?

What are the various implements/attachments for a tractor for various tasks available or that you use and own?

-rollers for lawn care?
    -rollers for compacting gravel roads, driveways or landscapes?
    -can a personal tractor be equipped to be used as a small roller for clay or gravel road/drive/landscaping maintenance?
    -blades and box blades for crowning and grading?
    -do you need a front loader and for what purpose?
    -do you need one or more kinds of mower decks?
    -a finishing mower?
    -a fertilizer spreader?
    -do you need a roto-tiller or disk harrow implement?
    -do need a backhoe for excavation?
    -do you need snow-removal equipment for the tractor?
    -forklift attachment?
    -auger for post holes?
    -firewood log splitter?
    -haying equipment?
    -pesticide equipment?
    -planting/sowing equipment?
    -fencing maintenance?

Personally, I like the name New Holland.

2. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

:D:DI saw a city dude trying to round up cattle on a farm tractor.:rolleyes: cowboys and hound.png

rando, Gun Junkie, Huey Rider and 2 others like this.

3. Having a personal tractor is a sign of being monied or one of the landed gentry. Certainly an apartment dweller, a trailerite or a subdivision homeowner needs no tractor.

My favorite online guns and shooting host is a Kubota tractor man:

4. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

We have a few tractors. I'm in the position of keeping some of the lawn tractors with 16 hp cast iron Kohler (American) engines. I need to find the side sycle bar attachment, the chipper and a few other implements. My brother is ready to scrap em. No Way.

I'm not going to delve into the larger stuff.

TXplt likes this.
  5. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist

Tractors are working machines. If you need to pull, push, plow, dig, mow, drag, twitch, skid, tow, scrape, lift, chop, cut, rake, bale, and cultivate, you use a tractor with some implements (I know that I left a few out).
    Tractors are not used on little 1 acre yards - hardly enough room to get a real tractor turned around. Those little "tractors" that mow the lawn and pull cute little wagons, are not tractors. They are lawn mowers that wannabe tractors.

It is not uncommon to have multiple tractors. Or at least 2. One pulls the wagon while the other loads the feed into the wagon with a bucket.

Jack Ryan, TXplt and rando like this.
  6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper G&G Evangelist

Michigan
    22 no wait a minute that may be 25 or 26 now can't nremember if I counted that one.

1938 Massey Harris 101 show piece tractor.

1951 Massey Harris 44 row crop was my pulling tractor.
    [​IMG]

1965 Ford 5000 gas. all around do about every thing.
    [​IMG]

2017 Kubota L3301 wish I had bought the Allis instead.
    [​IMG]

The one I let get away.
    [​IMG]

1954 Massey Harris Pacer. snow mover and fire wood hauler.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1961 Allis D 17 was given to me but I still love it.
    [​IMG]

1957 Massey Harris 555 diesel.
    [​IMG]

This is a few of them thre 38 is the oldest the Butoa the newest and most hated.

Al

neophyte, Jack Ryan, noelekal and 6 others like this.
  7. mdf9183

mdf9183 G&G Enthusiast

I have a Kioti 45hp w/loader, 30 hp New Holland TC30 w/shredder and a 25 hp Kubota 2050.

8. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Nothing wrong with that. You build your pen with two gates. You put a hay bail on your spike, the whole herd follows you. You go through the pen, through the second gate, someone closes it, and when the last cow wanders in you close the other gate.

Then you drive the tractor to the end of your loading chute or head catcher depending on the task at hand. This causes the cows to WANT to go where you want them to.

neophyte and Ranger4 like this.
  9. PaleHawkDown

I can't remember the model off the top of my head, but we have a Kubota farm tractor, with 4wd.

We have:
    A Bush Hog brand front end loader. We have a shovel, a hay spike, and a sprayer for that.
    A Bush Hog (a mowing deck in case people call it something different elsewhere)
    An auger
    Another spray attachment for the back
    A back hoe

We don't really need bailing equipment, rakes or anything else because it is far cheaper to hire someone for a day than it is to maintain some of the equipment.
    We have done grading, leveling and compaction and quite a few other major construction projects with just that stuff.

neophyte, Junction15 and TXplt like this.
  10. Jim Bridger

Try that on the Open Range. Pushing cattle to a wire corral with a farm tractor would be a circus. :D

Ranger4 and Junction15 like this.
  11. PaleHawkDown

Do cows on open range not follow their meal ticket?

12. Jim Bridger

No we will never trade your for a Farm Tractor.:)
    The grass on Open Range is one Unit cow and calf per 33 acres. There are often more than 100 head grazing. These are not dairy farms.:rolleyes:

Jack Ryan and Junction15 like this.
  13. Jim Bridger

upload_2020-9-9_11-16-47.png

We would never trade a cow pony for a Farmer's tractor.:D

14. PaleHawkDown

I grew up on a beef farm, but we only had 74 acres and anywhere from 64 to 112 head depending on various factors.

All you had to do is look like you might have some sweet feed, or a bale of hay, and you could just about get everyone but the bull to do ballet behind your tractor.

A hickory switch was enough to round up any stragglers milling around the gate, and to get the bull outside of the pen so he didn't make your job more dangerous.

15. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

home
    I'm on my second tractor, I hated that 8N from the first time I sat down on it. Didn't last long.

Now though, I LOVE this tractor.

Road HOG 6.JPG Road HOG 4.JPG
    I've got the "road machine" set up there you can use all at once or one piece at a time. A 6 foot snow blade, 2 bottom plow, a scoop bucket, pallet forks, a boom pole.

I made a Reese hitch attachment for the front bumper and use it for vises, carry all, front end weights, carry around all my chainsaw equipment.

I welded single rings off some old chain there on the back/bottom of the roll bar to put the snap/ring things in while I change out any 3pnt hitch equipment and also to hold extras and bungees or the rope to dump the scoop. I even pulled my lawn mower leaf rake with it last week.

16. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

05E96E89-DE1E-4BFD-B12B-1904BEFC7F7B.jpeg Pshaw!
    I see you and raise the stakes
    With my earth pounding
    Hair raising and panty lowering
    2 1/4 hp Gilson walk behind
    Strong men weep when I start this fire breathing chick magnet!

rando, Huey Rider, Rex in OTZ and 4 others like this.
  17. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Evangelist

You can be all tractor and no field without your pitchfork?

graybeard, Huey Rider and Jack Ryan like this.
  18. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor