·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else on here besides me loves FAL/L1A1 rifles?:assult:

·
Registered
79 Posts
British Army used to use them untill they were replaced by the L85 (SA80). They made the 7.62x51 round they fired very effective.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've got the FAL bug! Will be ordering an STG58A carbine within the week. I've already got an early Century L1A1 & luckily haven't had any problems with it, but going to upgrade it with ironwood stocks & a re-park when I find someone with the wood furniture.

·
PUKHA DAWG
3,799 Posts
The Fal is an excellent rifle, it's n my rather long list of wanted rifles.

·
Registered
302 Posts
South Africa made them under license from FN, we called it the R1 (Pronaunced "err een") My uncles and dad who severd back then still refer to them affectionately as the old "errie". The 7.62 cartrige was to heavy for the bush war and the R1 too expencive so they changed to the R4 and R5 (Galill)
Once fired one and it looked to be a decent rifle.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I was one of the first intakes of the South-African Defence Force to be issued with the R4. It just about broke my heart to exchange the R1 for a weapon that I considered to be "superior" only in that it was considerably lighter (good for carrying - not so good for hitting a man about the head and shoulders with) and that it had a bolt-cutter on the bipod. The bolt-cutter came in very handily for cutting chains to steal laundry.

The FAL (7.62 X 51) cartridge I personally preferred for bush warfare because of the heavier bullet being less likely to be pushed astray by light brush. It is (IMHO) more stable than the 5.56mm at long range and it packed considerably more punch (We perforated figure 11 targets at 600 meters and more practicing supressive fire during "fire-and-movement" excercises. We used also the Bren as a light machinegun, and the FAL mags were identical, so in my mind a few less logistical hang-ups in the field.

If it ever came to a choice over the two combat rifles that I'm intimately familiar with I would choose the R1 (FAL) over the R4 (Galil) in a heartbeat.

I recently fired one belonging to a friend, and I swear to all that's holy that my mind said "OK, give the man back his rifle", but my hands said "HOLD ON!"

·
Registered
440 Posts
Maybe some of the Western provinces could secede and join Idaho and Montana. We would welcome some more shooters. Heilung

·
Registered
217 Posts
hounddawg said:
I was one of the first intakes of the South-African Defence Force to be issued with the R4. It just about broke my heart to exchange the R1 for a weapon that I considered to be "superior" only in that it was considerably lighter (good for carrying - not so good for hitting a man about the head and shoulders with) and that it had a bolt-cutter on the bipod. The bolt-cutter came in very handily for cutting chains to steal laundry.
The FAL (7.62 X 51) cartridge I personally preferred for bush warfare because of the heavier bullet being less likely to be pushed astray by light brush. It is (IMHO) more stable than the 5.56mm at long range and it packed considerably more punch (We perforated figure 11 targets at 600 meters and more practicing supressive fire during "fire-and-movement" excercises. We used also the Bren as a light machinegun, and the FAL mags were identical, so in my mind a few less logistical hang-ups in the field.
If it ever came to a choice over the two combat rifles that I'm intimately familiar with I would choose the R1 (FAL) over the R4 (Galil) in a heartbeat.
I recently fired one belonging to a friend, and I swear to all that's holy that my mind said "OK, give the man back his rifle", but my hands said "HOLD ON!"
Hounddawg,
I know the feeling. I grew up on a farm and got to shoot my dad and uncle's Ri'1 (Issued by the local kommandoe) quite a bit. I actually saw my cousin take leopard and kudu with it once. What a great rifle. Good balance, great accuracy!
If I could build a genuine R1 now and hand it to my dad, he would burst out in tears! In bush war, especially with a lot of veld like in Suid Wes, you needed something with a bit longer reach. The R1 was perfect for that. The R4's and R5's are great rifles, but for open plains like in most of SA, the R1 will always rule!

·
Registered
934 Posts
The only thing I have more of than 1911's in my vault is FAL's! Yes, it's an addiction, NO I'm not seeking help!

My favorite version overall is the L1A1 but they're all basically the same!

FYI - if you have an inch pattern rifle and can't find wood stocks(plenty out there for metric pattern rifles it seems) Matt at Ironwood Designs has the best looking lumber available! Ironwood is about the only place I've seen with high quality new wood for inch pattern lowers (butt stock).

·
Registered
23 Posts
L1A1 : I DO, and used one for 14 years in the line of duty, I will be more than happy to stand behind one any day.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've only got one and most likely will never have another, to many other rifles I need in the collection. I got it in a collection of 5 FAs I bought and decided I should keep it after shooting it a couple of times.
Mine is an Isreali contrakt FN FAL select fire, appearently one of the 3000 they bought for evaluation in the early 60s. How it got to the US in near unfired condition I'll never figure out.
I love to shoot it on full auto, incredably accurate 3-5 rd bursts.
Sarge

·
Registered
2 Posts
13 lb., scope and 20 rd. mag. I could carry it forever.....It makes me rigid just to think about. I love to carry this weapon. L1A1, wood furniture, shoots like the glory of God.

I'm going back to Afghanistan 6/15. Will be back in November, anyone desires to sell one, I'd love to have another. Or a collared pet, bifemale for my wife.

·
Registered
766 Posts
13 lb., scope and 20 rd. mag. I could carry it forever.....It makes me rigid just to think about. I love to carry this weapon. L1A1, wood furniture, shoots like the glory of God.

I'm going back to Afghanistan 6/15. Will be back in November, anyone desires to sell one, I'd love to have another. Or a collared pet, bifemale for my wife.
HUH

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I do! I love my DSA STG58.
The buddy that I ordered mine with has "Have you hugged your FAL today?" printed across the back of his truck.

So, Have you hugged your FAL today?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I tried to trade my wife for a collared, pet bi-female. I couldn't find anyone willing to do that deal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Baie Suid Afrikaners op hierdie forum...

I carried the R1 from 1975-1978, and actually intensely disliked it, as it was more an instrument of torture, than something to have fun with! Discovered it again in 1995 when the first Century thumbhole L1A1's appeared on the scene, and today I have a bunch of them, more than I need, but not as many as I want!

We shoot regular FAL competitions down here in the deep South, one at Riverbend GA every year, and another military rifle match at the Charlotte rifle club every 3 months, and the FALS rule. Moses from the Falfiles is the one to beat, and he shoots an STG off a bipod.
This is a photo of one I had custom build for me at Azex Arms in AZ. I won the target shooting event at Riverbend this year, and came 5th in the tactical one with HAGAR0001.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts