Who's into Auctions?

Discussion in 'Political/Religious Topics' started by chesterwin, Oct 19, 2020.

1. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

Bid-on. Not me.

shanebrews likes this.
  2. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

I like the silent auctions they have to the side of the big auctions. I have picked up some good things just because others didn't know what things were. Most of the time it is bidding on a tray or box of things & you can't go by the names on the box you need to dig through them to tell what's in it.

3. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

home
    We used to go to lots of them, 2-3 a week.
    Not so much the last few years.

4. shanebrews

shanebrews G&G Evangelist

I have found auctions usually fall into 2 categories: a glorified rummage sale or something so specialized I can't afford anything in it. The one exception is the silent auction that is often conducted in conjunction with a banquet. My dad's conservation club had one of these every October. You could bid on the merchandise until it was time to serve the food. Then after everyone had pretty well finished eating they'd check the sheets to see who had won the various lots.

Cyrano likes this.
  5. Bakingsoda

Bakingsoda G&G Regular

Tulsa
    Not since covid-19 started.

Jack Ryan likes this.
  6. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I used to attend three auctions a week. One was in town of Belair about 1/2 hour drive from me. One at the Fairgrounds and other was in Glen Rock PA. I liked the PA one because a mixture of everything and many guns went through there. No back ground check and rifles and shotguns went very low. This is mostly country people and farmers. Lots of antiques. I used to get quite a few military rifles as they did not know what they were. Most didnt bid or would drop out after a few bids. They all had outside auctions on larger stuff and at dark would go inside. Once I spotted a box of stuff I wanted and bid on it. Went to load it into my truck and found out I bought about 10 other boxes with it. Have to listen to details as you may be bidding on one or a lot.

Cyrano likes this.
  7. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

Knew someone that went to auctions of self-storage lockers. When a tenant failed to pay their bill, the owner would put a padlock on it & auction the contents off. I think they would open them so a person could actually see there was something there, but weren't allowed to go thru it. They told me they got some really good deals, but sometimes nothing but junk.