Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep looking and reading about the Mosins. There seems to be quite a following and a lot of people having a lot of fun with this rifle and I am tempted to join the Mosin club. What I would like to know is what is it that you all like about this rifle? I see it as a low priced rifle with MOP accuracy. Also, from what I have heard they kick like the devil and have an impossible safety.

But what is it that you all like about this rifle?:feedback:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I collect them. Ever since I saw "Enemy at the gates". I have a '91 from 1914 through the model 44. I wish mine could talk. Recoil tolerance is an individual thing. To me they kick about like any 30'06 bolt action rifle. I use a slip on recoil pad from Wally world. It's comfortable to me. I free float the barrel and fit the stock better if I get any POI changes due to the barrel heating up. But I sometimes don't have to do anything. Mine can almost shoot MOA. I use czech surplus ammo. I think it is the history of these rifles that apeal to me the most. I prefer the 91/30 model myself. They sholder well and shot real well to.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I guess the only real answer to that question is to get one and take it out of the box and caress it , then clean it , then shoot it and you will have your answer!!Along with a bad case of Mosinitis !:)

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,223 Posts
Is built like tank and strong like bull! :D

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
and so inexpensive it's almost disposable.
(i am never gonna get rid of my 3!)

·
Registered
53 Posts
The price was what drew me in at first. But then it settled in that I owned a piece of history, all the way from ww2. Mosins are an inexpensive way to spend time at the range with a lot more kick and fun than a .22. There are several different variations from all over europe/asia and a true blast reading and researching all your marks to see where yours came from. A mosin is a piece of history you can hold in your hands...and fire full metal jacketed rounds!!!

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,223 Posts
I just pulled my 4 out of the closet and hugged them...:D

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, so when hunting with them do you use the safety or do you just leave the bolt partially open?

·
Premium Member
18,914 Posts
I like 'em! I have a Finnish version built by Sako that is a real fun gun. I also picked up a 91-30 with a big ol' pigsticker that just looks great on the wall, not to mention it shoots pretty damn good. The Romanian carbine does kick like a mule, but is also pretty accurate. And they don't cost much to shoot. But you have to remember to clean 'em afterwards, as the surplus ammo is godawful corrosive. You just got to try 'em yourself!:)Scotty

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
SDorton said it all for me! Not just great shooters, but when U R out of ammo(which I usually am) you can break out the magnifying glass and step back in time! I currently have 5, and Ive got less into them than a run of the mill Remington(minus the Sniper)! If that ain't reason enough, consider you will eventually own 5 rifles that shoot the same ammo! Add to that, the pleasure of getting Russian cosmoline into your bloodstream, and....... WHERE are my babies!!!

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I like proving that I can outshoot a lot of the range snobs with a crudely-built, mass-produced piece of pig-iron that cost less than most of their gun cases.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
That's TOO funny Captain Toolman, I usually have one end of the range to myself after I fire my M44 once. Lots of standers-by though!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hard to add to this outstanding list of reasons for liking (loving) a Mosin...
They're rough, tough, dependable, ugly, mean, manly, and just downright splendid. Gotta have 'em.

Wait just a second while I run to the other end of the house and give a few of mine the NRAJOE treatment...............O.K., I'm back. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Close the bolt and engage the safety. The safety isn't too bad once you get used to it. The only time it becomes a real problem is if you mount a scope in the contemporary spot.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK Guys, I think I am sold. Just a couple more questions.

Does the safety get easier to work once a few rounds are thrown through the chamber?

For a first Mosin which model would you all recommend? Most accurate? Best built?

What should I look for in buying a Mosin and what should I stay away from?

·
Registered
167 Posts
There is just something wrong with anyone who has trouble working that safety! It's a piece of cake. Pull the knob back and turn it 45° counterclockwise, it's safe. Pull it back and turn it 45° clockwise, and it's off. Nothing to it. Simple and effective. It's only got a 19 pound spring on it, surely nobody here's so weenified that they can't pull it back.

These are great rifles!

·
Registered
630 Posts
texnmidwest,
The tension on the safety will remain the same. As mentioned, you're pulling the striker spring when you engage/disengage the safety. Try grasping the forearm with your left hand and place the buttplate against your right arm just above your elbow with your forearm along the buttstock. Maintaining this position, pull back on the striker with your right hand (between the thumb and trigger finger, supported by the rest of the fist) and rotate it conterclockwise. Then rest the striker in the safe position (about 40 degrees or so of rotation). It seems awkward at first, particularly when being careful to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, but it becomes more natural with practice. An advantage to the Mosin is that the safety can be operated silently.

There's no "bad" type or model or manufacturer of Mosins. Just decide which model you prefer (which you prefer first, cause there WILL be more:burnout:). The Rifles manufactured in the Tula plant are normally the best for machining, fit, finish (one's with the big star on the barrel), but that's not a major factor. Look for the same things you would in any used rifle: bore, throat, function, finish, etc. If I could only have one...it would likely be a 91/30.

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
91/30 is my favorite one also.

·
Registered
53 Posts
91/30 is my mosin of choice! But of course I plan on owning an m44 and every other one eventually (funding permitting). Whatever you pick you'll have fun!

1 - 20 of 166 Posts