Why Antelope don't Jump Fences

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Rambo, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Rambo

Rambo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Antelope are strange creatures. They will run up to a fence and crawl under it or run around it but rarely, if ever, jump over it. Now we know why. They are clumsy and just can't jump.

Attached Files:

2. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

I thought it was because they were well hung! Just catching your tackle once on a barbed wire fence, would definitely make you think twice about trying it again!

Ooooooh, the thought brings tears to my glass eye!

3. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

They can run as fast as a car, but fences stop them cold. You think they could just leap over them.

4. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

I remember reading somewhere (?) that the legs or hips on a antelope are set up for running, and something in the way they are attached makes it hard for them to jump well. I'm not sure if that's the case...hadn't even thought about that until you asked. They sure are speedy though! LOL Whitetail can clear 8-9 foot fences if they are running...they can walk up next to a bob-wire fence and just hop over with a foot or more to spare.

5. OKIE2

OKIE2 G&G Newbie

They are stupid too while working on a pipe line job december of 2006 in north west colorado a rancher there told me if you see some at a long distance to wave a white shirt in the air and they will come too you.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  6. quietman

quietman G&G Newbie

I've seen an antelope hanging dead from trying to jump a 5 wire sheep fence. Jumping vertically is not a good idea for them.

It's amazing how fast they can scoot under a fence. I swear it looks like they do a belly flop and slide under the fence and pop up on the other side without losing any noticeable speed.

Saw a whole herd of about 15 do that once. Hit the fence in a line and slid under it single file from a dead run. Was an amazing sight to see.
    :eek2:

7. shop tom

shop tom G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

It's funny how whitetail deer can clear a 20ft fence while these things can't.......

Apparently white men AND antelope can't jump.

tom

8. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

We see a few deer hung up in fences like that around here. Of course most of them are either gutshot or have a broken leg from some body trying to shoot 'em on the run or "Hathcock" them from a stupid distance.

9. Lobo0311

Lobo0311 G&G Addict

Can goats jump fences? The reason I ask is that antelopes are closer related to goats ( thus the reason they're called prairie goats) than deer so maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know just a thought.

10. Purdy

Purdy G&G Evangelist

Must be a slow car

Antelope can run fast, that's why they are sometimes called speed goats but they top out around 40mph. I have driven right up behind them when I caught a bunch on a farm road between two fences. Often when they scoot under a barbed wire fence, they will pop the staples out on the nearest fence post.

11. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

Farm goats can be kept in a regular fence...but it needs to be hog-wire with a strand of bob-wire on top. They can climb almost anything, and hop stuff...but I've never seen one jump a fence.

12. DUGABOY1

DUGABOY1 G&G Newbie

Why can't they jump a fence? The same reason the sun comes up in the east, that is just the way it is.

I was hunting south of Casper, Wy in area 72 a few yrs ago, and the game warden there told me the big trophy lopes were few and far between that yr, because they had had a bad winter and a lot of them had gotten piled up in the fence corners in the snow storms and forzen because they were cought in the open, and couldn't get to the draws on the other side of the fence for brush cover from the wind. He was right because the next day we found a pile of bones in a fence corner on top of an open hill. There must have been 40 or 50 antelope's bones there.

They can jump high enough to get over regular sheep fence, they just don't seem to know it. when you see them running fast cross country they are jumping bushes that are as high as the fence. They just don't seem to reccognize the fence till they are too close, and hit it. The Prong horn antelope is one of the oldest ungulate in the world and have always been grass land animals, and just don't seem to have gotten it yet about the fence.

The "FLAGGING of antelope is an old Indian trick to get tme close for a bow and arrow kill. The white flag looks like the rump of another antelope, and they come to it. Flag a whiltetail, and it works the other way round, he's gone!

13. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

They think you are surrendering, ROFL !!

14. Archetype_wyo

Archetype_wyo G&G Enthusiast

My dad only ever shot an antelope once and it was his first year out here hunting (1980 or 1981) and he got a white-tail and an antelope and he thought to himself "why would I ever hunt these smelly things again?" He hasn't ever shot an antelope since then. It was his first and last.

15. Rambo

Rambo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I just cooked up some antelope backstrap last night in some stirfry and it was very good.

16. Archetype_wyo

To each his own, I mean I've eaten very very small amounts of it and didn't care for it. Yeah its really tender but I spose it would go better in a stew or like Ramby said with stirfry. I'll stick to my whitetail and elk though =).

17. Purdy

Purdy G&G Evangelist

The rank old ivory tiped bucks that have just run a mile or two are pretty hard to swallow, heck the dogs won't even eat the gravy.

18. Archetype_wyo

When its real cold outside we usually wait a few days to cut ours up. Let em hang and let the blood and adrenaline and what-not drain out of the meat. Makes for a little bit more tender eatin. When its hot though it can get a little more skunky and gamey tastin and kinda tough. But never had a deer or elk be so tough and gamey that we had to force it down.

19. HEMI

HEMI G&G Newbie

Seen antelope jump fences before but going under is definetly their first choice.
    My mom loves antelope I prefer elk and moose, my wife deer and elk.

20. JESSEDR

JESSEDR G&G Addict

Antelope the other goat meat. HEE HEE.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted