why aren't there more posts for sig?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ananab, Jun 6, 2002.

1. ananab

ananab G&G Newbie

sigs are the best guns in the world, yet i haven't seen a new post in this particular forum for quite some time... what gives?? i might ask while i have your atention, what are your opinions on the 226, 228 and the 229 (soon to be discontinued i'm told).

2. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Unlike 1911s, there just aint much to gripe about or improve on the Sigs. I am very happy with my full sized P226 .40.

3. Stewart

Stewart Guest

I agree, I guess there just aren't too many, "My Sig shoots low.. or left, or high" questions to post about. Outside of questions from those who are new to Sig or have questions about new models maybe there's just not a lot left to say. I had not heard about the 226, 228, and 229 being discontinued, that will probably generate some discussion. If that is the case I can only say to those who don't have one, get one. I have no complaints about my P226 in 9mm.

4. Probably because people like me can't afford one.

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I don't agree with best in the world, thats kind of an exaggeration but they are good guns.

6. FEG

FEG Guest

"Sigs are the best guns in the world"

Sig makes an awfully good pistol, but they are not "the best guns in the world." For one thing, there are so many things that they DON'T make. Ever seen a Sig-Sauer semi-auto shotgun?

I wouldn't even have bothered to post if you had said "best pistols" (don't agree, but you could make a pretty strong argument for that). When you say something as broad as "best guns in the world," the only real contenders IMHO are Beretta and CZ, because they make EVERYTHING: from assault rifles to pistol carbines to handguns to sporting long guns and back again. If I see literally any type of firearm with Beretta or CZ emblazoned upon it, I know I am looking at a quality weapon. Interestingly, these are the two biggest firearms manufactuerers in Europe. Once upon a time, all FN/Browning products were in this same league, but those days are gone...

7. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Best guns in the world may be a stretch if you talk about an entire range of firearms, But I would rate them at the top, or at least very close to the top, of all semiatomatic pistols in design and quality. Of course this is a bit subjective and I will not argue if someone prefers a Walther or Glock, for example.

8. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Thank You Alan C! Sigs are good guns, but they are very expensive. In my neck of the woods, you don't see a lot of Sig pistols. Most cops are carrying Glock down here. However, TX highway patrol does carry Sig Sauer.

9. I have shot both Sigs and Glocks--good accuracy out of both, but then again so is my Ruger P 89.:target:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2002
  10. NRAJOE

And my Ruger P95 DC !

11. ananab

ananab G&G Newbie

well, i'm glad there is some discussion going on involving sigs. i have to agree that i love my p220 and could not think of a single thing that could improve it. i will sell my kidney before i ever let that gun out of my possesion. by the way, when i said that i heard they were discontinuing "it" i only meant the 229. i like the narrower frame, but still think i's get a 226 anyway.

12. guffster

guffster Guest

my p220 & 229 are my favorite handguns; not much customizing to do. I've got nite sites on both & Hogue rubber grips on the 220 & both are plenty accurate

13. NRAJOE

cuz Sigs ain't all that? lol :smash:

14. dhaze

dhaze Guest

SIG-SAUER makes a quality pistol , but I think alot has to do
    with the individual and what that person is most comfortable
    shooting. I believe that the p226 in 9mm is one of the top five
    semi auto handguns in the world.have put many thousands of
    rounds through mine no malfunctions and no parts breakage.
    I'm not bias towards sig,but you only get what you pay for!!!

15. dhaze

dhaze Guest

I thought someone might follow up on this sig forum with some
    replies or comments.I know there are alot of sig owners out thier!!!!!

16. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Like I said, aint much to gripe (can't use the B word) about with the Sig pistols. The rifles look pretty neat too, though never actually saw one of their assault rifles in real life.

17. FEG

FEG Guest

Many SIG Owners?

"There are a lot of SIG owners..."

Are there? I'm not trying to be a jerk at all, but I live in a relatively poor area in SW IN. I only know one person who owns a SIG. When I go to some of the "good ol' boy" gun clubs out in the country, the only expensive pistols that I see are Glocks and various 1911s. Most people shooting Glocks are under 40 years of age, but I do see folks of ages shooting 1911s of all ages. I live in a city of @100,000, but we only have two indoor ranges (not inclunding the police). I have seen a few people shooting SIGs there.

SIGs are nice pistols, but I am not a big fan. They are too expensive in today's handgun market. Once upon a time, a SIG was one of a very few serious 9mm service pistols available. The competition has gotten a lot better. The CZ 75/85 series was "inspired" by the SIG, to put it kindly (appropriating the slide-inside-frame design). I own several new production CZs that are roughly half the cost of their comparable SIG 200 series model. The SIGs may be slightly better made than the CZs (although I would like to take the Pepsi Challenge on that one), but I seriously doubt that anyone really thinks that they are twice as "good" (twice as accurate, twice a well-finished, etc.).

On another forum, we were discussing the M-1911A1, M-9, and M-11 pistols. The conclusion was that the armed forces initially ordered something like 300,000 Berettas and then later about 30,000 SIGs for non-standard issue. I would guess that the numbers in civilian hands are very similar: one SIG owner (any model) for every ten Beretta 92 owners. If you counted Taurus clones, the disparity would get pretty large indeed.

There is no doubt that SIGs are generally excellent guns with few problems reported. Posts on the old Gun and Game used to focus mainly on things like "how do I get my X to do Y after Century did Z to it?"

18. NRAJOE

You hit the nail right on the head...Sig's are good but there are pistols just as good if not better for alot less, even if i won the lotto i doubt i'd have a Sig in the safe.

19. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Good quality 1911s and even the Berettas are just as expensive as the Sigs, if not more so. I do not understand this griping about the price of Sigs. Have you actually compared the prices of Kimber and Springfield Armory 1911s? If you know of any source of new, good quality 1911s for much less than the $650 I paid for my P226, please tell me about it. There are many guns cheaper than the Sigs, but the Berretta M9 amd 1911A1 certainly are not among them.

20. NRAJOE

But 1911's are the rule to live by Klaus, don't you know that? We've been brainwashed by Col. Jeff Cooper!