close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

why can't prisoners work while incarcerated ?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, May 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I know some of y'all know...:fuss: :nod:

2. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

They do around here

They use Inmate labor at the DOT and for roadside cleanups. I have also seen them in SC picking up trash.

Of course these are the less violent criminals. They ought to make thier priveleges based on their work effort.

3. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

They escape all the time around here I doubt the State Prisoner's know what work is. Of course one of our state prisons is across the river from the local trap club I thought about proposing an idea of setting up a rifle range (long Distance) with the Recreation yard for the Prisoners as a backstop -- for some reason nobody likes the idea it could save tax payers and provide a challenging facility.

4. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

In Florida they have the PRIDE program (Prison Indrustries)...they make furniture....prison uniforms and refurbish veichels for sale overseas....there is some federal law that the inmates can not compete with privet owned companies...in Florida the inmates are paid like .25 or .75 cents per hour so they could underbid people who have to pay real wages for labor. Theses PRIDE programs are in prisons through out Florida...mainly medium and maxim prisons...the inmate we use on road crews are in a work camp program...low risk of escape...almost released ect....its a steping stone to a "Work Release" program. In work release the inmates go to regular jobs ...usaly dish washers or construction....are driven and picked up by inmate drivers useing a DOC van...there $$ goes towards restatution and child support...some goes into a trust fund for when they get out.
    I worked as a substance abuse counselor in the prison system...max security life or longer sentence inmates and also a work release program so thats how I learned all this stuff.

The only problem I see with useing inmate labor is that it would be hard for real companies to compete with free labor or sub minamum wage labor...

But on a final note there are 2 million Adults in American prisons...jails...probation, parol and juvinels are not part of that number....do the math it cost around $50,000 per year to keep someone in prison........the cost goes up for inmates with expensive medical conditions..Aids..cancer..elderly ect....(They get some realy good medical care due to law suits) how long can we afford to keep theses inmates and the ever growing # locked up? Soner or later its going to bankrupt us.....(Ok before someone says death row most inmates die of natural causes on death row due to appeals and stays),

5. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Shawshank redemption

TYhis was an underlying theme in shawshank redemption Doglips

6. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

EVERYTHING THEY MAKE SHOULD GO TOWARDS RESTITUTION, EVERY CRIME COSTS SOMEONE SOMETHING!

7. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I think they ought to pay the prison's overhead before they get ambitious about restitution...

8. If we really want to get something out of these scum bags, Privatize the prisons, let them set up some sort of manufacturing and let the prison keep all the $ to pay for houseing medical care and reedgucation of the inmates, for each hour the inmate works a small portion goes tword restitution.
    If they refuse to work and payback thier dept to society or at least thier own room and board they get shot. sounds simple enough to me.
    I rather buy something that said made in adica than made in japan.

9. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

The prisoners in my state who work are jail inmates not prison inmates...Community service & work release type stuff. an awful lot of roadgangs.

10. EZ1

EZ1 G&G Newbie

You cant force them to work, against their Civil Rights, Probably didnt work before they got there, also it is CRUEL AND UNUSUAL punishment,

11. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I have to work at least 40 hours a week...nothing cruel & unusual about that.

12. Ask The democrats In Congress

The twenty six thousand acre Parchman State Penitentiary, in Mississippi, used to be largest farm in the entire world. The inmates produced cotton as a cash crop while growing and processing all the vegetables and meat that was used by the prison population as well as several state owned hospitals. The prison was not only self supporting, but paid money into the state treasury.
    One day some bleading heart, liberal democrats decided that it is cruel to make the prisoners work. As the result of their efforts the prison farm was closed down and the people of the State of Mississippi began to pick up the tab for housing and caring for the prisoners, as well as paying more to operate the state hospitals.
    The reason for the action of the liberals is obvious. After all, who votes democrat?
    Parchman once had the reputation of not having comebacks. Once a man did time at Parchman he didn't want to repeat it, so he avoided breaking the law in the State of Mississippi. Now the prisoners say they have it better in jail than out and don't mind comming back at all.

Last edited: May 30, 2002
  13. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

sounds like a good idea

14. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Here in Florida, the PRIDE program DL spoke of is a major supplier of materiel to the State agencies. Much of our office supplies, even desks, chairs and bookcases, are made by PRIDE.
    We were moving a PRIDE-manufactured bookcase during our move last year - one floor to another. Got the danged thing up to the new digs - then - with a loud clash and clatter - it literally fell apart! The danged Cons had stapled the boards together!! :insane:
    Yep, those contracts always go to the lowest bidder - quality be-!!!!ed.

15. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Someones bored....:eek:

16. whirlwind

whirlwind G&G Enthusiast

if the state programs arent mandatory they should be! what ever happened to "hard labor"? heck if the prison their in doesnt have manufacturing,let the little criminal bastages make lil ones outa big ones for the complete time their there! just think what a boom that would be to the music industry! the blues would make a comeback! maybe thats why the blues as a style hasnt grown since the 60's? they had no motivation...no frame of referance! :guitar:

17. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Involuntary servitude (slavery) is prohibited by the 13th Amendment "EXCEPT AS PUNISHMENT FOR A CRIME FOR WHICH THE ACCUSED HATH BEEN DULY CONVICTED."

Since prisons are by nature run by the government, inmates work should be used to defray our taxes that we otherwise pay for their incarceration.

18. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Amen BRG3 ! :right:

19. stangman

stangman G&G Newbie

Hi again Logansdad, as you could tell from the previous posts most inmates in most states do indeed work, either as "trustee's, work camps, road crews and such. Most of the inmates that do earn money, do indeed have to use a portion of their pay for restitution and of course fees,fines & costs. Most of these are paid though after release to Community Corrections, Work Release, Parole or what-ever the case may be. As for "cruel & unusual punishment" to make inmates work, well, the Supreme Court has upheld the use of inmate labor, in a humane usage. Even the U.S. Constitution states that the usage of inmates for labor. The 16th Admendment- abolition of slavery- that persons of the US can not be used, or sold as slaves except those sentenced for felonious crimes. Of course we can't and won't treat inmates as slaves because of how abhorent it is to Americans and stands against the very ideals of our nation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.