Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hi Brad, and welcome to G&G. I think the title of your post was probably meant to be "Where do you buy primers" instead of "Why." And the answer is the same as a hunter when responding to the question where do you find deer: you find them where you find them. Not trying to be snarky, but that's the reality nowadays, you just find them when/where you're lucky enough to chance upon them. A couple years ago bricks of primers were ubiquitous and reasonably priced in pretty much every retail store where guns and ammo were sold. No longer. Due to the so-called "ammo shortage" (there's a lot of online debate about that) primers have literally disappeared from store shelves. Mainly because the nation's two manufacturers of primers have redirected almost all their production to supporting their own ammunition since that's where their profits are, and frankly they could care less about reloaders. What little gets in the hands of retailers is very limited (both in terms of selection and quantity which can be purchased by a single person) and extremely over-priced. I chanced upon a brick of small rifle primers selling for over $130 at my local big-box outdoor store a couple weeks ago; at least 4 times higher in cost than what it was at start of 2020. Making matters worse, networks of very bad people (gun people, unfortunately) gang together when primers (and ammo) make it to store shelves and then ensure that their group buys all that is available, after which they immediately sell it for huge profits online. I call them "very bad people" because they are purposefully trying to screw their fellow gun folk, and then decry any criticism as anti-American and anti-capitalism. I call 'em dishonorable scum. I want those f-ers to die young for screwing their own gun buddies that way. It's tough enough that gun owners have to constantly fight for gun rights and 2A protections, but then on top of that we have to contend with those scum bags trying to screw their fellows. All I can say is good luck to you finding any primers.

And that's my 2-cents worth...

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
i get them at the sporting goods store.
in 2019 they had them on sale for 22.00 a brick,, so i bought them all.
suckily i've given away at least a full sleeve of various primers in the last few months,,, probably never recoup those again.

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
BPI sells about 95% shot shell primers.
they get cheddite brand in about every two months or so, and they might last 30hrs. on a good week.
[cheddite doesn't make nor sell anything but shot shell primers]

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
I get mine from my shelf.
I don't buy them anywhere any more. 😢
Long time ago, a gun store owner ( Tony Cleaver, he's not that popular in the local industry because he was apt to buy container loads of guns and sit on them, he's also outsold a few distributors in his day ) said to me: Matey, stock up on primers.... Why Tone? Eh, I just would... So I did.

They were inexpensive, every time I went to the shop hey and a box of primers chief.. I have Brazilians of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts