Gun and Game Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
To find a low recoil load for the granddaughter could use in her 38 snub. Of course, she could use light-loaded 38 specials, but that is boring. These were 'special' for her training only. They would not be confused with the many other 38 loads in her house.
Yes, brother. Those lads aren't only great for training but can also be useful. Boring? No. Fun? Heck, yeah! Hunting skunks, weasels ground hogs, marmots, close-range prairie dogs, etc.

As Dean Martin sang, "Aint that a kick in the head!"

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Freud might wish to analyze you for signs of masochistic tendencies. You're in for a few years of deep psychoanalytical analysis. There are phrases that cover it (but this is a "family-friendly" forum).
Yeah, and maybe you should consider whether it is considered polite or not to suggest someone requires therapy based off of one statement.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
745 Posts
I probably have more "guns" (antiques, so not technically firearms by ATF standards) in 32 S&W, and 38 S&W than anything. Model 2 Smiths, Iver Johnsons, H&Rs, old police guns of various types (It seems 38 S&W was real popular with Alabama cops, alongside 32-20, until after WWII), all sorts of British and Belgian top-breaks. They are fun, but the cartridge is not particularly well adapted to most scenarios.
As a "get them off me gun" 32 might work.
I really like the period between 1875 and 1899, and it seems the models of revolvers with largest number of innovations and unique ideas (outside of early Autos) were made in those cartridges or in .500 Belgian.

I will share this story as half-remembered from a book I have on weird true stories of the Old West:

There was a marshal who carried a pair of Smith Model 2 (not to be confused with the Model 2 Army) revolvers in 32 S&W. Even by the standards of the late 1870s, the .32 was considered weak. The story goes that this marshal had really poor vision, and liked the smaller guns because they could be concealed until he could get close to his quarry, identify them, and guarantee that he could hit them. He pulled one of his pistols on a criminal in a bar in (I think) Nevada, and the guy supposedly looked at it and laughed at the little gun in the weak cartridge. The bad guy was still making fun of that gun when he pulled his own .45. That's when the marshal fired.
The little .32 entered the guy's heart, ricocheted off a rib, and exited the man's body via his butt-hole before lodging in the floor. This book, published in the early '60s, had a picture where the bar had preserved that chunk of floor, and was still in business at that time.
Damn...bet that hurt going down!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yeah, and maybe you should consider whether it is considered polite or not to suggest someone requires therapy based off of one statement.
You made the remark, not me. Most people rely on results achieved instead of pain. The statement sounded like someone that I knew with ink all over their body. It doesn't take a genius to understand the psychology behind it.

Be careful of what you say, as any Speech Communication major will tell you, "the perception is the reality".

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
You made the remark, not me. Most people rely on results achieved instead of pain. The statement sounded like someone that I knew with ink all over their body. It doesn't take a genius to understand the psychology behind it.

Be careful of what you say, as any Speech Communication major will tell you, "the perception is the reality".
Ok. Let's take it further. Ever been in a sport? Ever exercised regularly? Ever worked on a car? Ever been in a fight? Ever had to defend your life, or someone else's?

All of those things usually end with some kind of pain. But people do it. Do you know why? Because it is something that needs to happen for a desired outcome. My desired outcome when firing a gun is to have the most likely chance of destroying the target as possible. Big boomers do that better than small boomers, if it comes with a little pain then so be it.

Maybe stop spreading your insecurities about discomfort to those around you, in an attempt to feel better about yourself. Life is pain, it's going to be there whether you want it or not. So cowboy (or girl) up, and push through it.

Reactions: SaigaAK74

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I served in the military as a Jet Mechanic 4 1/2 decades ago and have buried four children and a wife. I understand pain... rather well. What's your point?
edited, because it was argumentative and unhelpful

All my points were made in my previous post. Maybe re-read it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I served in the military as a Jet Mechanic 4 1/2 decades ago and have buried four children and a wife. I understand pain... rather well. What's your point?

I have buried my entire nuclear family and I am the sole remaining member (extant).
Oh no. You understand pain? Sounds like you have an interesting relationship with it. Maybe even some masochism. I'd recommend therapy.

Irritating when folks become judgemental, isn't it?
You sound as if you have your own set of problems. Acting belligerent must be a marvelous achievement.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
You sound as if you have your own set of problems. Acting belligerent must be a marvelous achievement.

Good luck!
Almost as much of an achievement as belittling strangers over the internet, because they don't shy away from pain.

Be honest. You're like 14 yrs old, right? Trolling forums for fun. I mean, you've only been here a month. Sounds like a troll to me.

I'll be blocking you now. Have fun trolling the others.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Almost as much of an achievement as belittling strangers over the internet, because they don't shy away from pain.

Be honest. You're like 14 yrs old, right? Trolling forums for fun. I mean, you've only been here a month. Sounds like a troll to me.

I'll be blocking you now. Have fun trolling the others.
I'm sorry for you, I prefer using brains to reveling in machismo (exemplified by enduring needless, unnecessary pain) in order to prove that you can endure. We're all impressed!

Have a great evening.

·
<------------<<<-
4,399 Posts
I’ve been watching this for a few days now… Captain, why do you put others down over varying preferences? Variety is the spice of life. You like mouse calibers, many of us like the big guns. Hell, I love touching off hot 44 mag loads. The whole experience is awesome. You cock the hammer, aim, brace, and then you’re overcome by the concussion wave while wondering how the gun got way up above your head. Mouse fart 44spl’s are a blast in that gun, too. They all have a place.

What doesn’t have a place is the ‘my way or the highway’ attitude you’ve shown. I’ve seen many new members over the years come in with that, and they’ve never lasted long. This has always been called the friendliest place in the internet. Let’s keep it that way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I’ve been watching this for a few days now… Captain, why do you put others down over varying preferences? Variety is the spice of life. You like mouse calibers, many of us like the big guns. Hell, I love touching off hot 44 mag loads. The whole experience is awesome. You cock the hammer, aim, brace, and then you’re overcome by the concussion wave while wondering how the gun got way up above your head. Mouse fart 44spl’s are a blast in that gun, too. They all have a place.

What doesn’t have a place is the ‘my way or the highway’ attitude you’ve shown. I’ve seen many new members over the years come in with that, and they’ve never lasted long. This has always been called the friendliest place on the internet. Let’s keep it that way.
I agree. The big bores have their place. Their applications are limited. You don't hunt small game with something that will turn it into a red blotch on the landscape. I have .41 Magnums (a S&W Model 657 and a S&W Model 58). These have their purpose. I don't want to beat them to death with maximum loads until the cylinder end-shake requires rebuilding the revolver.

I don't understand how shooting 100 rounds in quick succession from a 500 S&W Magnum proves how manly one is. In my humble opinion, (and it is humble as well as my own) that tolerating excessive recoil to the point of damaging your body proves very little. The damage done can be irreparable. Self-abuse to prove how tough you are doesn't seem very bright. Fun is fun, but there's a limit to that kind of 'fun'. Tough guys usually either burn out or break something (often harming themselves). Not good!

"Moderation in all things" - St. Paul the Apostle.

I like most firearms. They are "purpose-oriented" tools. Each has a niche to fill and that's the way it has been since the Chinese invented black powder many centuries ago.

I'll try to keep it freindly.

·
<------------<<<-
4,399 Posts
I don't understand how shooting 100 rounds in quick succession from a 500 S&W Magnum proves how manly one is. In my humble opinion, (and it is humble as well as my own) that tolerating excessive recoil to the point of damaging your body proves very little. The damage done can be irreparable. Self-abuse to prove how tough you are doesn't seem very bright. Fun is fun, but there's a limit to that kind of 'fun'. Tough guys usually either burn out or break something (often harming themselves). Not good!
I agree with the 500 comment, though I don’t remember anyone bringing that up. Everyone else stated that they prefer to trade comfort for power for a side arm.

That being said, many have a agreed that your 32 is well suited to its role. I agree, too. I just wish I could justify buying one, but today’s market has me keeping to my 22’s and 38’s for yard work.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I agree with the 500 comment, though I don’t remember anyone bringing that up. Everyone else stated that they prefer to trade comfort for power for a side arm.

That being said, many have a agreed that your 32 is well suited to its role. I agree, too. I just wish I could justify buying one, but today’s market has me keeping to my 22’s and 38’s for yard work.
Jerry bought a 32 H an R mag last year and gave good reports. The Professional by Charter holds 7 rounds. If I did not have several similar size Guns in 38 357 that would be high on the list. Just got an add this morning. $432. Good looking gun too, if looks matter. Of course they sell the Ruger SP 101 in 327 Federal that does all that too, and much more. As folks will, recall, those Guns will shoot 32 short, 32 long, 32 H and R mag , 327, and most even shoot 32 acp. What's not to like.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

About those big blasters, for us reloaders there is an endless number of little loads that work fine for anything from rats to rhinos. I have several Guns that shoot 45 acp, some of them are revolvers, like the Smith and Wesson Governor and the Ruger Flattop Blackhawk with it's 45 acp cylinder. Grand kids love those cowboy Guns. So along comes those aluminum cases with small pistol primers. Lots of old gun guys still think the are not reloadable, just because they have no clue. They are not malleable like brass but perfect for one or two loads. They are wonderful for gallery or garden gun loads. A powder coated round ball, stuffed inside that aluminum case with a few grains of Unique, Green Dot or any like powder. The cost is cheap and they do very well at short ranges, what you normally do with a handgun. A 141 grain round ball at 800 fps does not impress anybody. But that is 200 foot pounds and still 142 foot pounds at 100 yards, but the ball drops 15 inches at that range, so 50-60 yards is the practical limit. Few gardens are that big. No recoil, little noise, cheap, and using cases that have no value. Whats not to like? Mine look like this.
Gas Tints and shades Magenta Font Electric blue

They probably would not feed thru a 1911 but they sure are a practical round for my uses. And like I say, kids like em in the cowboy Guns.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
I dunno about other folks, but I like my SP101, 4.2", in 327 Federal Magnum. Naturally, it will shoot the 32 H&R, and the 32 S&W as well. There might be one ofr2 others that will fit in the cylinder but those would be rare to find around here. but the bullets are easy to find and it doesn't take a lot of powder to reload them.
i have other choices too. I cut my handgunning teeth on a 357 magnum and have probably fired as many rounds of those as I have 22LR and 45ACP.
The 44 mags are comforting to carry up north but are a bit heavy for casual carry around home.

That little SP101 is easy to carry and does what I want it to do. I have 2 basic loads for that, 98gr HBWCs in 32S&W cases and 90 gr JSPs in 32 Fed mag cases.
Still, If I had concerns of cranky cattle, or wild hogs, or bears around home, I would carry a 38 caliber or larger. Just personal preference.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Surely there must be a place for those of us that can appreciate the lowly .32 S&W. The little round that is used for,

1. Shooting hogs at the base of their skull so that they can quickly be bled out and butchered.
  2. Routing garden pests without tearing up the crops.
  3. Shooting rats in the barn without tearing up the interior planks.
  4. Killing skunks and weasels (as well as other farmyard vermin).
  5. Humanely dispatching sick/terminally ill animals without disturbing the entire compound.
My 22 RF does all that as good, if not better, than ANY center fire! ;)

Reactions: neophyte
41 - 60 of 79 Posts