Gun and Game Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I was involved in a traffic accident on April 7, 2020 at 1336 hours. A 4-ton flatbed tow truck lost a wheel from a towed car that leaped across 4 lanes of traffic and slammed into the front of a friend's 2004 Chevrolet Malibu (just inboard of the port headlight). It forced us off the road in into a tree. It was only the grace of God that spared us. I was driving and the inflating airbag tore my left hand's web (at the thumb). 26 1/2 months later I still have slight pains at the base of my left thumb's joint. I haven't fired my larger handguns since then.

Pain hasn't been my friend.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
You can always get a gun with a massively oversized frame. Grandad passed his Uberti Cattleman in .357 to me. Shooting standard factory loaded .38s in that recoils like a .22 mag. I've since wanted to see what the Magnum Research BFR in some of its myriad chamberings is like.

·
<------------<<<-
4,399 Posts
Jerry bought a 32 H an R mag last year and gave good reports. The Professional by Charter holds 7 rounds. If I did not have several similar size Guns in 38 357 that would be high on the list. Just got an add this morning. $432. Good looking gun too, if looks matter. Of course they sell the Ruger SP 101 in 327 Federal that does all that too, and much more. As folks will, recall, those Guns will shoot 32 short, 32 long, 32 H and R mag , 327, and most even shoot 32 acp. What's not to like.
View attachment 175301

About those big blasters, for us reloaders there is an endless number of little loads that work fine for anything from rats to rhinos. I have several Guns that shoot 45 acp, some of them are revolvers, like the Smith and Wesson Governor and the Ruger Flattop Blackhawk with it's 45 acp cylinder. Grand kids love those cowboy Guns. So along comes those aluminum cases with small pistol primers. Lots of old gun guys still think the are not reloadable, just because they have no clue. They are not malleable like brass but perfect for one or two loads. They are wonderful for gallery or garden gun loads. A powder coated round ball, stuffed inside that aluminum case with a few grains of Unique, Green Dot or any like powder. The cost is cheap and they do very well at short ranges, what you normally do with a handgun. A 141 grain round ball at 800 fps does not impress anybody. But that is 200 foot pounds and still 142 foot pounds at 100 yards, but the ball drops 15 inches at that range, so 50-60 yards is the practical limit. Few gardens are that big. No recoil, little noise, cheap, and using cases that have no value. Whats not to like? Mine look like this. View attachment 175302
They probably would not feed thru a 1911 but they sure are a practical round for my uses. And like I say, kids like em in the cowboy Guns.
I do remember that gun. He posts about it quite a bit on the other site. Personally, I'm more into the Ruger Single Seven, but I like single actions. I would also prefer to step up to 327 just to have that capability. That price is very tempting, though...

I am VERY interested in the round ball loads! I never thought about that before. I'm curious about similar loads for 38spl and 44spl, now...

·
Premium Member
4,905 Posts
I prefer big boomers, because they do more damage than little boomers. Better to be sure, than not sure.

Plus, I'm holding a controlled explosion in my hands....it should hurt a little bit lol

Hat Flash photography Cap Gesture Finger

" I LIKE BIG BOOMERS AND I CAN NOT LIE..."

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I do remember that gun. He posts about it quite a bit on the other site. Personally, I'm more into the Ruger Single Seven, but I like single actions. I would also prefer to step up to 327 just to have that capability. That price is very tempting, though...

I am VERY interested in the round ball loads! I never thought about that before. I'm curious about similar loads for 38spl and 44spl, now...
If you want to try some "gallery" loads for the .38 Short and .38 Long Colt cartridges (or .38 Specials) you can find some older Speer or Hornady manuals and load them using #000 buckshot (.36" in diameter) in each cartridge. #0 Buckshot can be loaded in .32 Caliber revolvers and pistol cartridges. It is .32" in diameter and will swage down to .3125" in diameter for these "gallery" (target) level loads.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Brownells has some .430" lead ball slugs for muzzle loaders. I'd be willing to bet that if you weighed one you could obtain some load data to make "gallery" loads for your .44 Russian/Special/Magnum cartridges.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Brownells has some .430" lead ball slugs for muzzle loaders. I'd be willing to bet that if you weighed one you could obtain some load data to make "gallery" loads for your .44 Russian/Special/Magnum cartridges.
Round ball loads have long been a pet of mine. About 30 years ago Remington sold a 2 ball load in 357 for law enforcement only. . I could never find the three ball load so I started loading them myself. A 2 ball load works in 38 special and they are great. A 000 buck is .36 caliber. and weighs 70 grains You just push the first one into the case and the second one just a little more than halfway, so you can crimp forward of the middle. You use the load data for cast bullets of the same total weight.

I have molds for #4 , buck, 0 buck, 00 buck, 000 buck, .433 and .454 caliber. I load the 45 acp gallery load shown above, with the .454 ball. Once loaded I just run it thru the Lee factory crimp die which sizes it down.

My favorite ball load is for the 44 mag. I load two of the .433 round balls in front of 9 grains of Unique. It is a mile load, about 950-1000 fps. The balls weigh 120 grains, so you have the traditional 240 grains of bullet coming out of the gun. The beauty of this load is that back bullet is smashing against the front one so the rear of the first one becomes flat and the front of the rear one becomes flat and the back one loses some of it ballistics, the net effect is the rear ball will strike 7-8 inches low at 25 yards. It is almost impossible to muss those 8 inch steel fall down gongs at 25 yards. The shotgun guys understand that issue so the use buffered shot to prevent, but I like it for my handguns. Gives me an extra bullet headed to the target.

Some of mine are slow gallery loads, some like the 44s are not. I highly recommend loading them, they are fun with Two balls.

Rectangle Wood Font Metal Musical instrument
Rectangle Font Parallel Label Document
Rectangle Yellow Font Metal Packaging and labeling

·
Registered
22,430 Posts
My daily for more than a decade had been a CZ82 in 9x18 Mak, before that it was a .45 Colt, and before that it was 7.62 Tok. I don't have a problem in anyone liking small calibers, or big calibers, or weird calibers, or weird guns.
As a professional I tend to recommend more common guns, and guns with good control and pointability, for beginners; 38 revolvers, large frame 9s, and mid frame .380s. If someone wants a tiny plastic auto or a .45, or some sort of magnum, and has their mind made up, there's no point in me trying to talk them out of it.

If someone wants an archaic mouse gun, heck I accidentally specialize in that by virtue of specializing in historic firearms.

I just don't know why anyone wants to get combative over it. We can all be mature adults, no reason to be childish.

Dick Burg
giggle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i had a friend who liked the bug blasters and reloaded. one day at the range he was complaining that his latest load in his 45 cal single shot was not accurate. would i try it . after shooting it i said that thing hurts my shoulder [its a pistol] and it wont print a group. looked at the target , nice round holes with grey ring every one. i told him that a really hot load ,the bullet is melting on the way to the target.
if we all liked the same gun and load whats left to talk about?

·
Registered
22,430 Posts
i had a friend who liked the bug blasters and reloaded. one day at the range he was complaining that his latest load in his 45 cal single shot was not accurate. would i try it . after shooting it i said that thing hurts my shoulder [its a pistol] and it wont print a group. looked at the target , nice round holes with grey ring every one. i told him that a really hot load ,the bullet is melting on the way to the target.
if we all liked the same gun and load whats left to talk about?
Favorite Buffalo wing flavor?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I am a complete gun fool!
I love mouse killers - Deer slayers - Yeti blasters! I love all calibers, and yeah, some hurt like a mofo, some are puny paper punchers, and all are FUN!
I enjoy the different calibers because of history, military, uniqueness, challenges, and most of all - the skill to shoot each of them accurately. I have a crazy random gun collection, and each one was bought for any one of the reasons mentioned previous. The one thing I hate these days is how the escalating cost of firearms has really scaled back what I can buy. That's life in the Democrat's kingdom.

·
Super Moderator
14,341 Posts
I am not trying to chide anyone, it seems to me that a bit of finesse and lower-powered cartridges can be used for "camp meat" and other farm/camp chores don't require a 9mm, .357 Magnum, .45 ACP, or other high-powered handgun cartridges to accomplish simple rural tasks.
I’m with you brother. I have 32 H&R magnum revolver‘s and a 327 federal rifle. Both will shoot any and all of the lower powered 32s, although my rifle may become a single shot but that is not a problem for me. I am a big fan of the 32s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Surely there must be a place for those of us that can appreciate the lowly .32 S&W. The little round that is used for,

1. Shooting hogs at the base of their skull so that they can quickly be bled out and butchered.
  2. Routing garden pests without tearing up the crops.
  3. Shooting rats in the barn without tearing up the interior planks.
  4. Killing skunks and weasels (as well as other farmyard vermin).
  5. Humanely dispatching sick/terminally ill animals without disturbing the entire compound.
my horse got sick recently the 32 s&w was handy in dispatching her....

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
I’m with you brother. I have 32 H&R magnum revolver‘s and a 327 federal rifle. Both will shoot any and all of the lower powered 32s, although my rifle may become a single shot but that is not a problem for me. I am a big fan of the 32s.
what rifle is chambered in .327?

edit: looks like there are some h&r's and some henry levers. maybe ruger might make one too idk. i kinda think a ruger 77/327 would be neat!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
what rifle is chambered in .327?

edit: looks like there are some h&r's and some henry levers. maybe ruger might make one too idk. i kinda think a ruger 77/327 would be neat!
Only Henry is making any rifles now. There was hope that the Marlin 1894 might be made in it, but that concept died and Henry jumped all in. I think they made 4 different models maybe more. When the Marlin was being discussed they said the 357 guns would be preferred and the smaller gun would just not sell enough. They would be competing against themselves.

So Henry captured the market, and is the only market..

Reactions: neophyte
61 - 79 of 79 Posts