Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is strange. I thought I shot a well known make off rifle till I joined this forum. Over here in South Africa you will hardly find a hunting household without them.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Bushkey,Back in the late 40s throughout the 50s,the Mauser was a popular hunting instrument in the United States.Then our commercial manufacturers came back online making American firearms.Milometer verses Caliber also didn't help with Americans being Caliber orientated.The Mauser was often canabalized for it's action by many.Early production Weatherby's used the Mauser action exclusively.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Mauser was often canabalized for it's action by many.Early production Weatherby's used the Mauser action exclusively.
That is one thing I have noticed, and not only on the Weatherby's. I have noticed them on a lot of other makes as well.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
In "My" opinion the 98 action was the best ever made for obveous reasons,even the step-down barrel on the Mauser was pure genius engineering.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In "My" opinion the 98 action was the best ever made for obveous reasons,even the step-down barrel on the Mauser was pure genius engineering.
I have to agree. It is definitely a very strong action. I am not sure how it holds up with the newer type actions when it comes to accuracy. It's release(for lack of a better word) time must be slower than the newer actions. What is your feeling.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Bushkey I've got a 1909...98 Mauser in 7.65 and I'd bet there are 1000's
tucked away in gun cabinets and safes here in the U.S...A.H

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Well, I have a 8MM Mauser Yugo 24/47 that I've used to blast rabbits and squirrels. Does that count? :scool:

I love it, by the way and wouldn't hestitate to use it for larger game, if I ever got around to doing that.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
I have to agree. It is definitely a very strong action. I am not sure how it holds up with the newer type actions when it comes to accuracy. It's release(for lack of a better word) time must be slower than the newer actions. What is your feeling.
I've seen blueprinted Mauser's that would go an par with the best rifles made,that would go for locking time also from trigger to primer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel better now. I did a search a bit earlier to see what members had to say about their Mausers and I was surprised about the small amount of threads and posts regarding them.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The military Mauser action is very flexible making it hard to keep a scope lined up.It works fairly good when glass bedded but still doesnt come close to clones that have more closed surfaces and better heat treating and better metal.The cut in the frame for the stripper clip is one of the big weakness,es plus being too open on top.Altho I used several Mauser actions after heat treating for custom guns in my younger days with fair sucess there are better actions including Mauser,s action that is stronger than the military for about the same money.Most run about $300.to$500.A much better buy than buying a military Mauser and doing what it takes to make it work fairly good.And yes the lock time on a military Mauser is lousey,but with changes can be made to come close to modern actions. samuel.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
samuel,I must agree with you on the late War production lots of Mauser's being soft and flexible.But on pre War Mauser's I've found them rock hard,as hard as any Springfield produced.Actually having to brake the skin before I could drill and tap for mounts.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Thanks joelee for a very informative post.As I recall the prewar K98 Mauser was a prized posession in the old days.I shouldnt have lumped all mausers togather but on the other hand getting ahold of a prewar might be difficult.I wasnt saying they shouldnt be used,I was just sugesting it might be advisable to look at other actions that virtually are ready to go than use old military actions of any type.On the other hand they work pretty good if you are careful about pressure.Argentine Mausers when over pressured have a habbit of sinking the lugs into the lock.I did that with a .22-250.Had I heattreated it and lapped the lock that might have been prevented. samuel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks JoeLee.

I will study this but I am suspecting I may have a clone. I can also be wrong.

My rifle was assembled by a company called Musgrave. I have tried to research them to find out if they copied the Mauser action or if they reused old Mauser actions, but to no avail.

It seems you are very knowledgable regarding these actions. If I post a photo of my action will you have a look at it and tell me what you think it could be.

Bosman Kruger

·
Registered
217 Posts
Goeie dag Bosman,
I beleive that the Musgrave rifles are cloned and not refurbed. Musgrave made some fine rifles. I love them! What caliber is your rifle?
Groete
Maarten Venter

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Thanks JoeLee.

I will study this but I am suspecting I may have a clone. I can also be wrong.

My rifle was assembled by a company called Musgrave. I have tried to research them to find out if they copied the Mauser action or if they reused old Mauser actions, but to no avail.

It seems you are very knowledgable regarding these actions. If I post a photo of my action will you have a look at it and tell me what you think it could be.

Bosman Kruger
Don't count on me,you being a Gunman must find the last piece,of what seems to be an endless puzzle.Enjoy the World of Guns.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
Well, I have a 8MM Mauser Yugo 24/47 that I've used to blast rabbits and squirrels. Does that count? :scool:

I love it, by the way and wouldn't hestitate to use it for larger game, if I ever got around to doing that.
i got one too. took it out over the weekend with my enfield. me and my buddy had a coolness contest. best shot wins a milkshake...i lost and its MY gun:34:

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Yew know years ago when I was young and foolish I really really wanted one of them 7X57 Mausers! Thing is now that I am supposedly older and wiser I still want one! Of course then again I also want me a 30/40 Krag. Just fun stuff to shoot and hunt with nothing fancy I spose!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts