1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,282 Posts
All big AF would do with new computers is increase CBT.

Good article.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
In my day, the Navy worked out a deal to get multiple extra years of tech support for Windows XP past the date Microsoft declared the OS obsolete. The rationale was that they needed about 3 additional years to upgrade all of the ships. We were in the yards at the time and were in the first wave to get Windows 7, which was already out of date.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
A computer that can handle AI?? I'd be happy with a computer that could check my email in less than 15 minutes

·
Registered
377 Posts
A computer that can handle AI?? I'd be happy with a computer that could check my email in less than 15 minutes
I dont know what operating system you have on your computer but if you would be using a linux distro installed on it, it would be able to do that in less than 2 minutes at most. MX Linux is what I use and what I recommend.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,864 Posts
Hehe...... I think back to when my ship had an old Lexitron desk computer in the ship's office. I was trained to work on the danged thing, and had the case of spare parts. Then they changed to an HP desk top. I declined being the tech for it, after having bad experiences on that danged Lexitron.
One thing the military needs to concentrate on is protection against hackers, viruses, etc., as well as EMP protection.
The best computers can still be vulnerable.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I dont know what operating system you have on your computer but if you would be using a linux distro installed on it, it would be able to do that in less than 2 minutes at most. MX Linux is what I use and what I recommend.
I actually run Linux on my personal computer. My government computer is the one I have a problem with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts