Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taught my wife to shoot my mossburg 500 12g, but she don't have that much fun with it because it starts to hurt her pretty quick (yeah, a semi auto would be easier on her, but she doesn't seem interested enough to justify buying one right now). I bought an xd 9mm, which she shoots very well, but she still struggles with the slice. No, not the slice...the slide....anyway, I had her try out THE 38 special, but being a s&w airweight, the recoil really smacks her hand and after about 25 rounds she is complaining.

Ok, soooo I have been looking at buying myself a new gun for a while, with a 357mag 8-shot at the top of my list! I had her with me today when I stopped in the store to ogle some more, and it occured to me, "what if there were a nice 9mm that she could shoot well, and fit her hand well like the xd, but ALSO was a bit easier for her to pull back the slide?" The guy showed us a few that were a little easier, but one REALLY stood out. The fnp-9 was super easy for her. I had him throw a snap cap in there so i could see how well she can eject a misfire, and she pulled it back nicely, out flew the dummy round. The da/sa adds a bit to my confidence in her not having an accidental discharge, and she doesnt mind the long trigger pull on the first shot the way she does on a d/a revolver. Its a super smooth trigger in the double action pull, not very heavy at all. I asked him to switch out the backstrap for the small one, and the wife loved the fit in her hand. I suspect the makers of this gun had their wives in mind.

Yeah, we did paperwork on it...but I had her take the dumb test and put it her name. From now on she isn't going out and shooting my guns, she will finally have her very own... one that she is very comfortable with. Bear in mind that this is a girl who hated me buying the 38, and even after that night when i put down an intruder, it was like pulling teeth to get her to go to the range with me.

I can't even say how proud I am of her to overcome her super girlie side and get to this point where she can protect herself and our son when I'm not there. I'm so excited, can't wait to pick it up. She finally has a gun that she can operate well, fix ftf malfunctions, and will enjoy enough to practice a whole bunch...so just in case someone gets past the new outdoor gaurd dogs, the aligator moat, and the new indoor gaurd dogs...they won't find an easy victim.

Here's to everyone who REFUSES to be a victim...CHEERS! (or slainte for you'se celtic types)

·
Registered
702 Posts
You are right to be proud. For what it is worth I am too, because you didn't just grab up the first snubbie revolver or .380 that crossed your path but took a logical step by step path to something she likes and can use to boot!

You crossed the finish line before the race even started and I tip my hat to you both for what you've done.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Good for her!
My Mrs. is still "on the fence" when it comes to shooting and has only been with me a few times even though I invite her every time I go.
The couple times she went she did very well and has tried to claim 2 of my .22s as her own.I told her if she wanted them she had to USE them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good for her!
My Mrs. is still "on the fence" when it comes to shooting and has only been with me a few times even though I invite her every time I go.
The couple times she went she did very well and has tried to claim 2 of my .22s as her own.I told her if she wanted them she had to USE them.
I have a ruger 22/45 that I use for cheap practice. She likes it, but she told me she prefers the 9 mil. I guess I lucked out there. My wife hasn't gone with me nearly as much as I wish, but now that she has her own gun that she likes so much, I think she will be going more. She doesn't have any of the usual complaints with this gun. I'm sure she still won't shoot as much as I do, but this is a big improvement.

It is a pretty discouraging thing to see your wife so reluctant to practice self defense, eh? I hope you find something that inspires her a little. Since she likes the 22, maybe a 22 mag would spark some interest?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right to be proud. For what it is worth I am too, because you didn't just grab up the first snubbie revolver or .380 that crossed your path but took a logical step by step path to something she likes and can use to boot!

You crossed the finish line before the race even started and I tip my hat to you both for what you've done.
Thank you. I must admit, we did look at a 380 first, but the guy told me that the recoil was actually worse because the gun is so small. More for concealed carry than for a "girls gun". I thought I had the right gun for her when I got the xd9 because she shoots it well, but if she can't rack it, I have to leave one in the chamber for her which I dont like doing. Not only can she rack the fnp very easily, but I would also feel good about leaving it in the safe with one in the pipe because the first pull is d/a...so much travel that she wouldnt cook one off while she grabs it in a panic.

Thank you for your encouraging words.

·
God, Guns, Glory
34,760 Posts
Howdy,
Congrats on the purchase.
Glad she likes the feel, of the firearm.
After picking it up, with a few boxes of ammo.
Get that new gun & your girl down to the range.
And practice, practice, practice!
:handgun:

Also might want to take the shot gun, with LIGHT loads! ;)

·
Premium Member
24,593 Posts
F/P here is a link that JetGirl shared with us.Cornered Cat - Rack the Slide

This thread linked below might be of interest to you. Women, youths, small statured men, etc are almost all capable of racking the slide on most commonly available semi-auto pistols with just some simple instruction on the proper technique. Another observation I'll make; most husbands, boyfriends, brothers, fathers, etc do a dismal job of "choosing" firearms for a lady and do an equally poor job of teaching technique to that lady. The used gun market is running over with firearms choices people have made for someone else. JMHO

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/fi...ers-set-sights-female-buyers.html#post1456203

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought my Wife an AK-47, which she shoots very well, she shot 200 rnds before she actually started complaining about her shoulder, but she was only able to take 10 shots with my Mauser 98k.

My Wife also likes shooting my S&W M&P .40, but I'd like her to have her own Pistol, every gun magazine I get and she looks through it she points out .45's

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
F/P here is a link that JetGirl shared with us.Cornered Cat - Rack the Slide

This thread linked below might be of interest to you. Women, youths, small statured men, etc are almost all capable of racking the slide on most commonly available semi-auto pistols with just some simple instruction on the proper technique. Another observation I'll make; most husbands, boyfriends, brothers, fathers, etc do a dismal job of "choosing" firearms for a lady and do an equally poor job of teaching technique to that lady. The used gun market is running over with firearms choices people have made for someone else. JMHO

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/fi...ers-set-sights-female-buyers.html#post1456203
I agree, which is why I let her choose it.

I just looked at that link with her, and that is the way she racks it(slingshot works best for her). It is still a bit of a struggle, and although she can rack it to load it, she can't always pull it back quickly enough for a misfired round to eject (i practice failure drills by sneaking in a snap cap). She likes that fnp9 better, and she can handle a malfunction much more easily with it.

I also looked at that article about guns made for girls. The little snubbies in pink and purple are what many women gravitate toward, not realizing that they are going to kick much harder because they are small. My wife thought she would like my airweight, but she found out she hates how it feels.

I helped out at a class where the local range introduces women to all the different kinds of guns, and I found that they end up liking, and doing best with, a gun they would not have expected to like. I've seen a very petite girl handle a 45 better than I can, her first time shooting. Most Prefer a full size to a little tiny gun once they have tried it.

No one can make the perfect choice for a girl except her...after she has had the chance to try them all. Also, i did have a female firearms instructor teach her...and you are right...she did a better job teaching her than I had.

Great feedback, thank you!

·
Premium Member
24,593 Posts
F/P, if your wife is using that technique and has average strength she will in a very short time get much more proficient at doing it. In fact as she devolps the muscle memory she will very soon be wondering why she had struggled with it before. As with many other drills and tasks, along with proper technique, repetition strengthens and confirms.

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
Thank you. I must admit, we did look at a 380 first, but the guy told me that the recoil was actually worse because the gun is so small. More for concealed carry than for a "girls gun". I thought I had the right gun for her when I got the xd9 because she shoots it well, but if she can't rack it, I have to leave one in the chamber for her which I dont like doing. Not only can she rack the fnp very easily, but I would also feel good about leaving it in the safe with one in the pipe because the first pull is d/a...so much travel that she wouldnt cook one off while she grabs it in a panic.

Thank you for your encouraging words.
That is one of the reasons my wife claimed my Para. She was shooting a Davis 380 and didn't like the recoil plus some serious slide bite. So she shot my 45 and claims it as hers

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
have her give a pair of these a try. a good pair of shooting gloves helps not only reduce felt recoil but on grips or slides that don't bother a mans rougher hands they make racking a lot easier.

my daughter loves hers.i think past no longer is in business but they are great too

GripSwell Ergonomic Shooting Gloves

1 - 13 of 13 Posts