close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wildcating:

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by hooker, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Ever think about wildcating? Lets hear some ideas on this. anything goes no matter how outlandish it sounds. Heres one:, how about a .600 nitro express necked down to a .58 or .54 caliber. Chambered in oh lets say a Ruger #1, or an H+R single shot , and maybe a beefed up version of the Marlin 336. say a 350- 425 grain bullet going oh around 2000-2300 fps. Africa, and Alaska, or elk and moose in North America. Maybe a light load of a 275-300 grain bullet for whitetail or muledeer in the thick stuff.

2. Robert

Robert Member

Ok, how's this?.....

I'll send you my 14" 223 Contender barrel and you can re-chamber it to a 22-600 Nitro. I'd get a kick out of that. (No pun intended)

3. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

How about taking the 50 Cal case and necking it down to oh lets say .243 cal. 170grains of 4895 around 4800fps and fired out of a single shot griz

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I'd like a custom barrel for my BRNO single-shot in a wildcat consisting of a .22 Hornet case blown out to 7mm, with hard cast bullet. Kind of re-engineering the .300 Sherwood Cadet.

5. Robert

Robert Member

Sounds like the 7mmTCU. Case is a little bigger though. Parent case is a .223 Remington. It is one of my favorite barrels for my Contender. Close to the MV of a 30-30 but with better ballistics. My favorite to take out in the woods for a hike or scouting.

6. re: wildcatting

How about a .300 Win. Short Mag necked down to a 6.5 or 6mm??

7. OldSchool

OldSchool G&G Newbie

I'm kinda fond of small bores, and always thought a .22 LR necked to .17 cal would be cool. Guess I'm not the only one cause the new .17 HMR is pretty much .22 mag necked down. I once saw a .50 BMG necked to .17 !! Doubt seriously if any gun exists for it but it was a neat novelty. I would like to see a .25 ACP necked to .12 or .14 cal. in a single shot pistol. And I've often thought of a .177 pellet rifle powered by a .22 blank rather than spring/air. I have "wildcatted" a few empty cases just for fun. I opened up a .22 LR to accept a .25 bullet and a 30-06 to accept .375. I like to leave these bogas cases lying on a vacant bench at the range just to see the reaction of the next guys who show up to shoot.

OldSchool

8. sadiehn

sadiehn G&G Newbie

I have thought of a couple they may even exist 1st one is a 300 win mag necked either 270 or 25 but that would be a barrel burner. 6mm-06 sounds like fun but thats been done how about a 375h+h to 270 or 25 oh why not 22

9. sadiehn

sadiehn G&G Newbie

another one that I had thoughts on was taking a 7mm rem mag cuting it off at the shoulder and sizing it to 44 caliber dont know if you could hold it in your hand but the muzzel velocity would be real high

10. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

I've some pics of .10 cal rounds based on the 25acp and the CCM.

11. What about the old .30 WCF necked down to .22. A longer neck and a heavier bullet, say a 75 gr. boattail spitzer. Would be nice in a single shot would'nt it? I beleive that would be pretty good on average size whitetails. Any thoughts on this?

12. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    Oldschool,
    Agualia is introducing just that round a .22LR necked down to .17.
    Agualia is Remingtons Mexican subsidiary.

Dave375

13. Robert

Robert Member

Old school. I tried the .22 pellet with a power load blank that they use for masonry. It blew the head off the back section of the pellet. Left a little ring of molten lead with a hole through it, the remainder of the pellet Melted along the lenght of the barrel and almost nothing came out the muzzle. I performed this wonderful feat of imagination in front of two co-worker/freinds. They did think it was very amusing. Thank GOD it was a 10-22. It was very easy to replace the barrel.

Hooker.. Cartridges of the World lists a 22/30-30 Ackley Improved. 55 grain bullet at 3755 fps. 45 gr at 3925 Popular in the 1950's.

14. I am trying to come up with a 475 cal cartridge in a mod. 98 mauser action. This limits the case lenght to 2.5". I'm not sure if the 458 Mag case will blow out that straight or not. The 460Weatherby case head is to large for the 98. Any ideas?

15. boneguru

boneguru G&G Newbie

wildcat

how about a 10mm necked to a .355, worked for sig in .40
    or .45-70 to .44, or 223 short

16. jimr

jimr G&G Newbie

ohio
    about 25 years ago i built a 22-30/30 ackly improved on a krag action with a 1" douglas bull barrel single shot. what a shooter . with 52 gr. hpbt sierra bullets the gun will to this day put half inch groups at 100 yds. killed many hogs out over 500+ yards . i keep the velosity just arround 3800 fps. very easy on brass. 25 years ago the rifle cost me $550 to build , complete with walnut and maple lamatied thumbhole stock from bishop , and a 2 in. 12 power uniterl scope ($106) new.

17. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

THE OTHER DAY I SAW A 32 CALIBER CASE WITH A NECKED DOWN 45 CALIBER BULLIT.

18. Re: Wildcatting

Was thinking about a .444 Marlin necked down to .41 or .40, maybe even .357.

19. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

Where would you get reloading dies for these cartridges?

20. jimr

jimr G&G Newbie

ohio
    R C B S made mine for me. i sent them three fireformed cases to go by.