Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21,264 Posts
I found several of these using French and German search engines, but I can't find anything in English. It appears these were made in the late 1880s with most dated to 1888 and 1889.

All the ones I could find were in similar configuration to yours, and all were in 4mm, which was mostly a target caliber.

As for Wilhelm Eblem himself, he was a well-known Stuttgart master gunsmith. He is especially well known for his drilling and double barrel hunting rifles. He is also well-known as being a bit of a mentor to several other well-known gunmakers.

Later in life, Eblem, as many gunsmiths around the world still do, often outsourced his work, and then stamped his name on it. Towards the end he was mostly a gun seller, rather than a smith. Some of these outsourced makers made names for themselves as well.

His most famous protege was a gentleman by the name of Edgar Strempal, who is often considered one of the finest firearms engravers of his generation, and who also made masterful hunting and target rifles. He never received a formal apprenticeship, and despite being a "master" of his craft, he was not legally a Master, as he was not recognized by the guild.

Eblem, however, saw his skill and hired him on for many projects. He is generally considered the successor to Eblem.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
4mm is like 20 caliber.
i believe PHD meant 40 caliber, which was a popular target shooting caliber.
easy enough to tell, look at the muzzle if a pencil won't come close to fitting it's a 4 mm, if your little finger will poke in there it's most likely a 40.

you have what would be called a scheutzen rifle.
where targets are shot free standing [standing up] usually at 200 yds.

·
Registered
21,264 Posts
4mm is like 20 caliber.
i believe PHD meant 40 caliber, which was a popular target shooting caliber.
easy enough to tell, look at the muzzle if a pencil won't come close to fitting it's a 4 mm, if your little finger will poke in there it's most likely a 40.

you have what would be called a scheutzen rifle.
where targets are shot free standing [standing up] usually at 200 yds.
Nope, 4mm is what the rifles are listed as being in numerous auctions. Technically it was 4mm Lange

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
i knew about the 4mm Lange, and that there are a couple of other 4mm rounds out there too.
but figured we should clarify.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts