Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds like a stupid question, and it may very well be, but I have a Remington 12ga with a Rem-choke barrel stamped 2 3/4 shells, it has all kinds of relief and a 3" shell drops right in and has plenty o room before the step to the bore, so why is it stamped 2 3/4?

Will it fire 3" shells too, safely that is?

Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know this sounds like a stupid question, and it may very well be, but I have a Remington 12ga with a Rem-choke barrel stamped 2 3/4 shells, it has all kinds of relief and a 3" shell drops right in and has plenty o room before the step to the bore, so why is it stamped 2 3/4?

Will it fire 3" shells too, safely that is?

Thanks
I'm taking a guess, so I might be wrong, but I believe the extra "room before the step to the bore" is to allow the hull to unfold/uncrimp upon firing. You will notice that a fired/empty hull is longer than a loaded shell.

But there is absolutely no guessing on this point, if the gun is marked 2 3/4, then don't shoot 3 inch shells. You'll probably create a huge pressure spike if the hull unfolds/uncrimps into the stepped up portion of the barrel creating a constriction when the load tries to exit the hull. Why risk getting maimed or killed? If you want to shoot 3" shells, then get a gun that's made for them (or 3.5 inchers for that matter).

ClayMan

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
my shotgun is a copy of a remington 870 (i got a century 87) but it will take either 5 2 3/4 shells or 4 3 inch shells

1 - 5 of 5 Posts