Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,353 Posts
Yep, any bullet will kill any small animal, within reason and assuming good placement.
Try various loads to see which your gun prefers.
I generally find that the bolt-actions prefer the lead bullets with larger hollow-point, while semi-autos often do better with plated bullets having a more rounded nose.
This has to do more with reliable feeding than for accuracy or 'knock-down power'.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
What Big dog said... :)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
please clean your barrel and chamber good after shooting those, something bout those wax tips will dirty up something fierce, they almost render the p22 walther of ours useless aftet about 100 rounds, i dont use them any more

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have never seen that and those are the only bullets I use in my Ruger 10/22 and my dad does in his semi-auto and we have never had a problem with those

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
they sure dont work well at all in a walther p22 the leading or what ever it is they put on them does something in this gun, maybe not all but man i never saw nothing like it, someone else on a different thread of the remington thunderbolt bullets had the same comment after shooting them in his walther

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Either will work fine for small game. As suggested above buy some of each and use what shoots best in your gun.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've never noticed wax on a thunderbolt but two-70 is right about the wax though. I've used CCI Mini-Mag HP's and when flip the case over to look at all the points of the bullets you can clearly tell they have wax on them cause some of the holes will be capped over. And with repeated use of them in my 10/22 25 round mag I've noticed build up at the lips of the magazine. Also one of the Winchester rounds seemed to have a coating on it too.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
it sure could be lube. as a matter of fact most lead bullets for the little 22 rimfires have a wax coating on them.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
That wax and the copper coating is what keeps your barrel from leading up and ruining the barrel.It,s called a buffer. sam.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Sorry since you were asking about a particular brand of 22lr I assumed you hadnt had a lot of experince. had I known you had been hunting for a while now I would have assumed that you would have known that they are very typical in having a 40 grain bullet with simmilar ballistics to most other 22lr. and as such if you have been shooting federals or winchesters or what ever as long as they cycle in your gun well there is so little play in the ballistics if you like the pretty box go for it

Ammo Roundup: .22 Long Rifle

I suggested head shots because if your eating them because if you rupture the stomach you wont want to. and a 22 goes through the light body of a rabbit like a knife in butter (especially with a round nose like the thunderbolt, bullet wont expand) unless you hit something important they just jump around a lot requiring multiple shots.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts