Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys hopefully know me well enough to stop asking "WHY?" when I have some bizarre technical question most likely related to an even more bizarre idea. So here it is...

We have the Winchester 1300. Rotary bolt, aluminum alloy receiver, pump action shotgun. Available in all the expected configurations for hunting, home defense, and police use. Like the Mossberg 500 and unlike the Remington 870, it has multiple magazine tube lengths offered, and different barrels for each length. Like the Rem 870 and unlike the Moss 500, it has a cap that screws onto the open end of a magazine. So a couple ideas have appeared...

a.) Could a magazine extension be added to the extended tube version of the Win 1300? That could expand 8 rounds to 10 or more.
b.) Could a sporting barrel made for the shorter magazine be used on a version with the longer magazine, with a pipe or something as a spacer between the ring under the barrel and the magazine cap?

One selling point of the Win 1300 is that it will cycle Aguila mini shells without a problem, which could fit quite a few in an extended tube. Now that the ban is dead, imagine the capacity possibilities for a doubly extended tube magazine...

This has nothing to do with practicality. The chances of me actually doing such a crazy thing are pretty low. My only question is would it work?
Additionally, I'm looking to be able to use the same shotgun for hunting and home defense simply with a barrel change. I'm probably going to get a Remington 870, for many good reasons, but before I do I want the whole scoupe on the Winchester.

Here's what I'm talking about. Winchester has a 5 shot and 8 shot version of the 1300. Assuming the bolt lockups are interchangeable, wouldn't the tube length be the only thing keeping the barrels from being interchangeable? And wouldn't it make sense that shorter tube barrels would work with the longer tubes if a long spacer was used between the ring on the barrel and the magazine end cap?

Noticing also that Winchester makes their Defender model in 20ga, suppose the same would be possible there as well?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the links! Anyone know if I'd be right that the barrels for the short tubed models would fit the long tubed ones if a spacer was used that made up the difference in length?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
BattleRifleG3 said:
You guys hopefully know me well enough to stop asking "WHY?" when I have some bizarre technical question most likely related to an even more bizarre idea. So here it is...

We have the Winchester 1300. Rotary bolt, aluminum alloy receiver, pump action shotgun. Available in all the expected configurations for hunting, home defense, and police use. Like the Mossberg 500 and unlike the Remington 870, it has multiple magazine tube lengths offered, and different barrels for each length. Like the Rem 870 and unlike the Moss 500, it has a cap that screws onto the open end of a magazine. So a couple ideas have appeared...

a.) Could a magazine extension be added to the extended tube version of the Win 1300? That could expand 8 rounds to 10 or more.
b.) Could a sporting barrel made for the shorter magazine be used on a version with the longer magazine, with a pipe or something as a spacer between the ring under the barrel and the magazine cap?

One selling point of the Win 1300 is that it will cycle Aguila mini shells without a problem, which could fit quite a few in an extended tube. Now that the ban is dead, imagine the capacity possibilities for a doubly extended tube magazine...

This has nothing to do with practicality. The chances of me actually doing such a crazy thing are pretty low. My only question is would it work?
Additionally, I'm looking to be able to use the same shotgun for hunting and home defense simply with a barrel change. I'm probably going to get a Remington 870, for many good reasons, but before I do I want the whole scoupe on the Winchester.

Here's what I'm talking about. Winchester has a 5 shot and 8 shot version of the 1300. Assuming the bolt lockups are interchangeable, wouldn't the tube length be the only thing keeping the barrels from being interchangeable? And wouldn't it make sense that shorter tube barrels would work with the longer tubes if a long spacer was used between the ring on the barrel and the magazine end cap?

Noticing also that Winchester makes their Defender model in 20ga, suppose the same would be possible there as well?

You said in part."........to an even more bizarre idea." Looks like you want something that holds 100 rounds of fire power, weights under 6 lbs, can operate under water, floats when released(in water), can be used as a flair gun, serves as a putter if needed, when taken apart,can be re-assembled as a
Mini-Cooper car, and best of all it`s invisible. Now that`s bizarre.
I`m just having a little fun with your "bizarre" idea. Not ment to ruffle any feathers. Life is good

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

·
Registered
992 Posts
The barrels will interchange with a spacer, at least with my model 1200 defender they would, I don't think the short shells will feed, I loved my 1200 defender, it was great, I especially liked being able to load and unload it while in the lock mound without cycling the slide.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've read that the Win 1300 is the only shotgun that will feed the short shells without difficulty. Any confirmation on this?

G

·
BattleRifleG3 said:
I've read that the Win 1300 is the only shotgun that will feed the short shells without difficulty. Any confirmation on this?
my Remington doesn't like them...never had a problem with the Winchester..what's up with that ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts