Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking on-line a bit, and I've seen conflicting information about this shotgun. One camp says that regarding ammunition, you can't shoot 2 3/4" shells in this gun because the receiver isn't long enough, and too much pressure is built up. The other says that this is true for the Model 1893 shotgun, which was made to shoot black powder loads and the Model 1897 is ok to shoot 2 3/4" shells. Most of the ammo I've seen online here is 2 3/4". Can anyone clear this up for me. I tried posting in the other thread, but it kept auto-merging with my last post, and not showing up in New Posts. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
You may be in a bind as many moons ago some shotgun stuff was all loaded in 2 1/2 " shells as I recall...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would go along with the 2 5/8" because from what I read, it goes by the length of the un-crimped spent shell. I'm confused:34:

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Hey Buddy,
The Model 1897 was the first Winchester shotgun chambered for 2-3/4 " Smokeless Shells....Just before Producing the 1897, The Model 1893 was for Black powder in 2-5/8" and my book says that mechanical weaknesses occurred when people shot the New Smokeless cartridges, so Winchester Offered them a brand new shotgun of choice when they returned the 1893...
Note to that a few 1897's were produced with Damascus Barrels and are very Rare.
Rich

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rich, that eases my mind a lot. You don't happen to know what markings on the barrel tell if it's a Damascus barrel, by any chance?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Rich. After I get down to the metal when I clean it, I'll let you know if It is a Damascus barrel. I guess I am being a little sarcastic.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
When I was a teenager they had just come out with 3" mags.My cousin had a model 97 win.and somehow got a 3" mag in it and fired it.He said it kicked hard but it didnt blow up.He had to take the barrel off to get the casing out but otherwise it was okay.We often shot 2 3/4" mags in it.I believe mooseman is right about one that didnt have the barrel that could be taken off easily.I cant remember but there was one that noone wanted.I also remember getting my fingers pinched several times. samuel.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was made in 1905, according to the serial #. I plan on taking it to a gunsmith anyway. It literally sat for years, possibly decades in my father-in-law's friend's house, until he passed away. I wish I could say that it sat in a safe, or cabinet, but by the looks of it, wherever it was kept, it wasn't very moisture free. My father-in-law got the gun, and knew I wanted one, so he gave it to me.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
It was made in 1905, according to the serial #. I plan on taking it to a gunsmith anyway. It literally sat for years, possibly decades in my father-in-law's friend's house, until he passed away. I wish I could say that it sat in a safe, or cabinet, but by the looks of it, wherever it was kept, it wasn't very moisture free. My father-in-law got the gun, and knew I wanted one, so he gave it to me.
1897-1905 "same same" take it to a Smith not us experts.Eyes are worth more then all the guns in the World!!

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I almost got one that was in terrible shape, rusted like it layed on a beach for a year, but the guy wouldn't sell it to me for 50 bucks, but I would have rebuilt it over the next few years as a "Tough Project" challenge had I acquired it... They are fine shooters , and I don't know what the concern is about shooting them, if the Bore is clean and the barrel to action is tight, there is No reason for alarm with an 1897, they are tough as heck and battle proven...Parts are Hard to come by as far as Originals, and re-assembling the breech block and Hammer spring and Hammer is a real Pain in the butt, so don't take it apart if you can help it, I have the Manual and it is a real booger still. You don't have a Damascus if yours is that late made so Have fun shooting it !
Rich

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Normally, I would just clean her up and head on down to the range. However, this one is a little different, given the age, and general condition of this particular gun, and the fact that this is my first shotgun, believe it or not. I don't really have the confidence I usually would in my ability.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts