Winchester 1897 shell ejector and extractor

Discussion in 'Winchester' started by COL Sanderz, Apr 14, 2014.

1. COL Sanderz

COL Sanderz G&G Regular

Hello everyone. Sorry I have been m.i.a. for a while but family comes first.

I have a Winchester Model 1897 made sometime in 1900 (at least according to the S#). The gun is in very nice condition but there is an issue with the spent shell ejection. I made some weighted dummy shells to practice loading in my 870 so I tried them in the 1897 and they cycle fine, but when I use spent shells they get hung up in the ejection port. I have looked and I do not think the claw is broke. Could it be a bad spring or might it the ejector and extractor needs to be tuned? I also would like to know how to tune these but according to allot of other forums this is a lost art. Any help would be much appreciated.

Charles

2. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Hey Charles. Have you ever tried actually firing a live round through the gun? First off, you need to have the gun inspected to make sure that it is safe to fire! (I have a nearly new Rem. 700 .22-250 barrel on my desk right now that has an 8"+ long crack starting at the chamber and it supposedly has less than 50 rds. down it.). That said, most of the times, the recoil actually assists the pump action, so a fired round slowly cycled through the action will often hang up, where a fired round being instinctively pumped (as designed) will cycle just fine. FWIW, make sure that the gun is safe for smokeless powder (should be stamped on the barrel) and NEVER shoot anything other than 2 3/4" loads through it. 1897's can get pretty sticky if they aren't cleaned and lubed regularly and that can definitely slow the action down enough to cause a fired hull to hang up.You basically need to visualize the way the action is supposed to work, ie: the shell fires, and the recoil unlocks the action, which, assisted by the operator, slams the bolt to the rear, causing the left side of the shell rim to contact the ejector just before the bolt reaches the end of its' travel. Of course, on an 1897, the action also has to cock the hammer, so you have to work the action pretty aggressively.

3. COL Sanderz

COL Sanderz G&G Regular

Hi Toolman... I had to resist the urge to say Taylor. Yes I have taken the gun to the range a couple of times and fired some rounds through it and about 60% of the time the shells don't kick all the way out. The shotgun is good for smokeless powder and I only run bird/target loads or lighter through it. I also only run lead shot not steel in it. I heavily cleaned it after I bought it and cleaned it after every time I took it out but I might go through it again and see if I can get it a deeper clean and oiling. My 1897 is a take-down model and when I first got it the barrel section and the receiver had a little wobble to it and no matter how much I adjusted the sleeve I couldn't get a tight fit. I purchased the brass barrel shims from brownells and that did the trick for the wobble. I really don't think this has much to do with the ejection issues but then again I am relatively new with this shotgun.

Thank you for your input and reply.

Charles

4. Purdy

Purdy G&G Evangelist

Are you sure it is chambered for 2 3/4 " shells?

5. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I know of a guy who was using a cleaning product gun scrubber that was removing the oil and causing action problems. Id try lubricating the moving parts and a real good look over.