Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a variety of searches, I found this on Gunbroker. Winchester 1905, Semi-automatic, 35 Winchester.

Looks like it feeds from a detachable box mag. Looking up the cartridge specs, it looks like a decent cartridge.
http://www.reloadbench.com/cartspec.html

Anyone know anything about this model or round?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes indeed. Win. produced some 29,000 Model 1905's. in both .32 Win, and .35 Win. They are fairly rare in good original condition. The .35 was an excellent round but probably too powerful for the rather fragile action. It was discontinued in 1920. The Reminton Model 8 was it's main competitor and was available in .25, 30, .32 & .35 Rem. calibers with a few in .300 Savage. Some 60,000 Model 8's were made up until 1936. The safety on the Mod 8 may have been the forerunner of the one on the AK47.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Winchester 1905 was one of the first semi auto centerfire rifles made. There were a series of these rifles made. The most common was the 07 which superseeded the 1905 and was chambered in .351 Win SL (self loading). The most powerful was the 1910 which was chambered in .401 Win SL. These rifles are all very nicely manufactured and like all early autos were positioned as top of the line models.
One interesting thing about the 07 is that it was used for air to air combat in WW1 before mg were mounted on aircraft. I believe 20 round mags were also made for this gun. (I'd imagine it would win hands down over a Luger)...
All of this series of winchester autos were straight blowback without and sort of action locking. This is why they were chambered for the relatively underpowered straight wall cartridges...
As for brass, bullets, and ammo. .351 was loaded by winchester through at least the 80's and brass and bullets should be avaliable fairly easily; I'd start with a Midway catalog....
.401 is also sometimes avaliable, I believe I have seen this brass in Midway also. The others, (.32 and .35) you will have a fun time locating.
Last thing, as these are blowbacks, they will sling that brass...

·
Registered
115 Posts
BTW, the Remington 8 was never chambered for the .300 Savage, the model that superseeded it, the 81, was and anecdotally, the actions stretch in this chambering. I think the 81 as built until the early 50's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts