Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm feeling my way here for the first time. I have a .22 1903 Winchester,made in 1909. The barrel is blued, but the receiver appears to be natural steel or slightly browned( not rusted). Were any of these made this way? or is the bluing just worn off. Is it advisable to get the receiver reblued? If so, what will it cost? Thank You JKC

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Do Not Re-Blue that Winchester ! Reblueing will Drop the value on that rifle, and even in 90% that rifle Books for 1000.00 and going up !!! It is impossible for me to tell without examining the rifle or pictures, but It may be the natural case colors. Does your Rifle Have a Safety ??? If not it is considered an Early Model, and only 126,000 total 1903's were made from 1903-1932.
IT is a Collectors piece !!!DO NOT SHOOT IT , it is .22 Winchester, NOT LONG RIFLE ....
Rich

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Rich. It does have a safety at the trigger guard. The serial#is 835xx(someone told me not to write the whole number.??) The metal nose at the front of the stock is also a wery light brown. I appreciate you help. JKC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts