Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what's with me lately, but I keep spending too much money on junk guns because I can't see them parted out or destroyed. First the old Thompson M1911, then the Marlin 336A, then a Mossberg 500, and today a 1966 Winchester Model 94 top-eject.

The barrel is toast as is the mag tube, barrel rings, and stock. The receiver is rusted all over, but everything inside the receiver is in great shape. I actually fired 4 rounds through this thing and everything cycled fine. I didn't hit squat, but that is because some nimrod sawed off the end of the barrel and sanded it at an angle. There is no crown at all. Plus they jury-rigged the mag to barrel brackets and carved grooves in both to make it work (the mag tube is mounted at an angle with the end pressed into the barrel).

First, since I'm not saving the barrel, I need to find out how to get it off the receiver. I don't need a fancy barrel vice for this one. Just tell me how to grip the receiver and how much force I can use. If I have to I'll carve a receiver shaped hole in a 2x4 to use as a wrench

Second, I need sources for the parts I need to fix this one up. Numrich (e-gunparts) strikes out on this one - they barely have any Winchester 94 parts and eBay doesn't have much either. Anyone got a parts gun for sale?

Lastly, someone please explain to me why I keep spending money on these hopeless cases. Sure they work great when I'm done, but I could have bought a new unfired Winchester 94 for $400 and I'll have more than that invested in this thing by the time I'm done

Anyone know a forum like this dedicated to the Winchester 94s???

Thanks all

Mark

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Some guns are just junkers Mark, you have to face that fact ! IF they are something special and rare is one thing you have to look at before you rebuild. Some guns should be disassembled for good parts and forget the rest.
We all hate to see neglected guns, or guns destroyed, but you have to weigh the cost factor Vs. Value of the finished product, Vs investing in a real good one that will appreciate in Value. Most Barrels unscrew so on bad barrels you can use a pipe wrench and cheater as long as you have the meat of the receiver properly blocked and locked ! Gunsmithing books have other methods as well.
There are a lot of Great guns out there that need lesser degrees of TLC that are worthwhile projects and you can be proud of fixing ! The Bubba gun you have sounds like a 2 ...on my scale.
Rich

·
Registered
593 Posts
I restore vintage dirt bikes and get myself into that situation alot. I have to be able to save them from the scrap pile at all cost! I'm sure a shrink could execise that out of me for several thousand $. I usually spend about $500 plus labor more than they're worth, but the sense of accomplishment is really worth it. Thank god guns are cheaper or I'd really be in trouble. Hey, fulfilling hobbies aren't cheap!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts