close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winchester M1 info

Discussion in 'Winchester' started by Buzzy, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Buzzy

Buzzy G&G Newbie

Recently bought a M1 Carbine marked Winchester serial # 115XXXX. Unlike my Garand I can't find a date on the bbl or many of the ord and mfg marks on various parts. The stock appears original and has seen plenty of action but isn't cracked or broken. What is the best place to start searching for a build date, and locations of various parts markings for this gun. BTW this gun was (according to customs paperwork) shipped intact from Israel on LEO forms. Out of 5 rifles we got 2 Winchesters, 2 Inlands and a Rockola, all in good mechanical shape. Any info would be appreaciated. Buzzy

2. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

The markings for the barrel would be on the top of the barrel. If there are none, it's most likely an aftermarket. The bolt should be marked on the lug where it meets the slide. The other markings should be in an inconspicuous place, where you can see them clearly without much hunting. There were parts that were manufactured that were never marked. No one is really sure who made these parts, or where they came from.
    You just have to take the carbine apart and search the parts over. It would take too much space to tell you all of the places that were marked. PM me sometime, and I'll try to help you.

3. winchester

winchester G&G Newbie

is that you in the picture, calvin?

4. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

What of it????

5. ROB

ROB G&G Newbie

CARBINE INFO

BUZZY, I JUST PICKED UP A BOOK CALLED 'M1 CARBINES WARTIME PRODUCTION BY CRAIG RIESCH'. IT GIVES A BREAKDOWN OF EVERY PART ( AND ALL THE VARIATIONS) IN THE CARBINE AND WHAT VARIATIONS WERE USED IN CERTAIN SERIAL NUMBER RANGES. I HIGHLY RECOMMED IT. YOU WILL THEN KNOW WHAT PARTS YOUR CARBINE HAS AND WHAT PARTS YOU WILL NEED IF YOU WHAT TO TRY TO RESTORE IT. GOOD LUCK WITH NEW CARBINE.