Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While perusing the used shotgun rack at my favorite pawn shop / gun store, I checked out a couple of semiauto shotguns. I liked the look and feel of the Winchester Model 1400 best. After some yukerin', I got it for $260.00. I was Christmas shoppin' for my sons. (but I really like the way it shoulders and points <G>)

Then I saw the post about one of these being troublesome! 20201020_151402.jpg

Guess I'll have to take it out and bust a box of clay targets with it just to be sure it works well. Bein' a good dad, I sure wouldn't wan'na give my sons a troublesome shotgun y'a understand.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
35,659 Posts
I still have my late father's Win 1400. He bought it when I was a kid. Later I had a local 'smith install a Polychoke. I used this shotgun more than Dad did, as he preferred his Rem 870 pump. I liked the softer recoil of the 1400.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Premium Member
23,326 Posts
Good on you Nick. Many years ago I had a Sears & Roebuck Co. Ted Williams Model 300 which is a rebranded Winchester 1400. Of course I got hard up for cash and sold that rascal a long time ago. It fit me perfectly and I didn't waste nearly as many shells with it as I do with some other brands. Two of my younger brothers learned to shotgun with the firearm too, and it never gave any problems. With the occasional cleaning and light lubrication it was always ready. Of course there could be some changes with the MKII that wouldn't have applied to my firearm since I bought it in 1964 or 1965...

And here is the choke like mine had...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine has the regular type screw in choke. It's marked full.

My son just messaged me asking if I wan'na bust some clay targets tomorrow mornin'. I'll let y'all know how it shoots. Should be a fun mornin shootin' with my sons.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Looks pretty nice and the walnut stock is certainly a plus. Wonder when yours was made? I still have a 1300 pump Upland model bought back in 99 for around $325. Has a satin stain on the walnut that really has some nice figure to it. Best of luck with yours for clays. $260 sounds like a good price these days.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1st letter of the serial # is N. That should be a clue as to the date it was made, though I haven't looked it up yet.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I went with my sons today to bust some clay targets. Took several different shotguns. We set up and I went 1st with my model 1400. BANG. Shell didn't eject. Gun Jammed. Cleared the hull and, BANG. Shell didn't eject. Cleared the last round and looked the gun over. NO EJECTOR.

I'll have to go back and check it out with Butler's. They are good people, and should make it right.

Anyway, we busted about three boxes of clays, and then switched to handguns for a while. Got home about 4 this afternoon and cleaned guns till about 8:00. Had a good time shootin' with my boys.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took the model 1400 MK II back to Butlers this morning and was offered: A full refund, OR, they would get it repaired for me, OR, I could swap it in on another shotgun/rifle/handgun for full value. Good, honest people to deal with. I took the cash back option.

I'll probably be back several times before Christmas, nosin' around the same rack, for guns for my sons. I'm pretty sure they will wind up with the cash I got back soon. <G>

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Good to hear they are reliable in that regard. I own an Rem 1100 which I have had since 80. They are a solid reliable gun with steel receiver. The older 870 Wingmasters are another good choice. Sure you will find something the sons will enjoy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts