Gun and Game Forum banner

Winchester Model 190 .22 rimfire

146K views 88 replies 38 participants last post by  .22hustler 
#1 ·
I inherited this rifle, and I 've been trying to find literature (manuals, how old is it, etc)
The Winchester site is no help.

It seemes to be a good little rifle, so why isn't there info available?

Any help would be appreciated.

#5 ·
Go on ebay, hunting, and type in owners manuals, disassembly,or assembly, etc. This should enable you to view all the manuals for your gun. I bought one for my M-88 .308.I don't need a manual for my 290 as I've had that gun down to a zillion parts a zillion times. Very famaliar with it. Easy to break down and clean.:)

#8 ·
I have Winchester Model 290, having problems with FEED, jamms all the time...

Now I suspect that axle hole on that lever that rises the bullet to the barrel mouth is expanded and looking rather like a pill than circle...

before I got it it was my uncle's, and his uncle lost the tube magazine insert with spring, so they made a replacement, my gunsmith told me that problem with feed is in that magazine insert but I think the problem is that "reciever" or how should I call it... can any one help me?

And owner's manual will be more than good =)

Thank you all and excuse me If there are spelling errors, english is my second language =)

Attachments

#9 ·
I have Winchester Model 290, having problems with FEED, jamms all the time...

Now I suspect that axle hole on that lever that rises the bullet to the barrel mouth is expanded and looking rather like a pill than circle...

before I got it it was my uncle's, and his uncle lost the tube magazine insert with spring, so they made a replacement, my gunsmith told me that problem with feed is in that magazine insert but I think the problem is that "reciever" or how should I call it... can any one help me?

And owner's manual will be more than good =)

Thank you all and excuse me If there are spelling errors, english is my second language =)
I would side with your gunsmith on this one. I have a 290, and the only time it ever jammed was when I fed it Remington Thunderbolts.I use CCI mini-mags and have zero problems. Make sure that the gun is clean also.

#12 ·
model 290

I have a Model 290 Wichester rifle. I took it apart to clean. I removed the bolt and spring, but I am unable to get the spring back in the hole. Does anyone have any sugestions on how to do this. I also do not have a manual for the rifle. I've looked all over the internet including e-bay to no avail. With as many as were made why no manuals?

Any help on these two things would be appreciated

#13 ·
I have a Model 290 Wichester rifle. I took it apart to clean. I removed the bolt and spring, but I am unable to get the spring back in the hole. Does anyone have any sugestions on how to do this. I also do not have a manual for the rifle. I've looked all over the internet including e-bay to no avail. With as many as were made why no manuals?

Any help on these two things would be appreciated
Using your finger nail, push the return spring into the hole alittle at a time. You'll also have to have the return spring guide in the spring while you do it.It's tricky but you can do it. You will need two hands or more as that spring is under alot of tension.. It just takes a little time.You can also take the stock off as that spring goes into the stock, but I always manage to get the spring in without doing that. As far as the manual, you can use a 190 manual. There are the same. There are several manuals on ebay right now. Under sporting goods, type in 190, or 290.

#15 ·
Thanks for the reply. How do you take the stock off?
Remove the butt-plate unscrewing the two screws. Be careful if your .22 has the white spacer. Mine did, and I broke it while taking it off. I was refinishing it so it had to come off. If it breaks, you can make a new one with .060 inch white styrene plastic available at a hobby shop in sheet form.. After you remove the butt-plate, you'll see a large hole, and deep down inside that there is a 1/2 inch nut. Stick a 1/2 inch socket on a 6 inch extension and unscrew it.. That's all there is to it. While you have it apart, why don't you refinish it?? I can walk you through that also.

#18 ·
fun gun

Remove the butt-plate unscrewing the two screws. Be careful if your .22 has the white spacer. Mine did, and I broke it while taking it off. I was refinishing it so it had to come off. If it breaks, you can make a new one with .060 inch white styrene plastic available at a hobby shop in sheet form.. After you remove the butt-plate, you'll see a large hole, and deep down inside that there is a 1/2 inch nut. Stick a 1/2 inch socket on a 6 inch extension and unscrew it.. That's all there is to it. While you have it apart, why don't you refinish it?? I can walk you through that also.
Hi 22hustler, I have been cleaning up my old model 290, this was my 1st rifle, and had the same problem with the bolt spring. I tried removing the stock, as you suggested, but I couldnt get a 1/2 inch socket to seat on the nut (I even tried 7/16 and 9/16 sockets) also was wondering how to remove the foregrip.

#19 ·
The nut that was on mine was a 1/2inch. Maybe someone changed your's? To remove the forearm, make sure the gun is unloaded. At the end of the muzzle, under the sight, there's a small pin, holding the magazine tube on the barrel.. First remove the magazine feed tube, then drive that pin out. Don't lose it.. When that pin is out, just pull the magazine tube out. When you get the magazine tube off, just pull down on the forearm. It's being held on the barrel by a white plastic thingy.You'll have to pull a little hard to remove the mag tube as it's a tight fit, but it will come off.

#25 ·
found it on ebay undertitle..Winchester Model 190 Gunsmith Schematic Repair Guide in sporting goods , manuals. It has 8 pages of common problems and fixes with schematic and parts list.
There you go dude... Glad to have helped.. I've been putzing around with my buddy's 290 and can't get it to fire or cycle more than 1 round at a time.. But I think I have it worried now.. Gonna try again tomorrow but I'm sure I have it fixed now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.