Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recent picked up a WINCHESTER MODEL 270 22 Rimfire at a Gun show.

I have no manual.
Can any one tell me about what year Winchester made these?
And How can I disassemble for cleaning?

Or where I can get a manual?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any thoughts?

shoving cleaning patches down the barrel toward the action may clean the barrel, but how can I can the action thouroughly.
or do I not worry about it

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Is this the lever action or the pump??

Mic, if you go on ebay under sporting goods, or hunting, there is a store called " Rediscovered Shooting Treasures". Or just type in "winchester model 270". There are several different manuals about dis-assembly/assembly, and repo owners manual for sale. Less than 410 bucks and worth it. I bought one for my model 88 and it's very helpful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
22hustler

Its a pump.

Thanks to the advice.

I really want to take it apart for cleaning...but afraid I may not get it back together.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Get the manuals from the ebay site. Don't be afraid to tear it apart. The manuals should walk you through everything, and if worse comes to worse, you can take it to the gunsmith. I have a 290, semi-auto, and it breaks down into alot of parts. I can take it apart and reassemble with my eyes closed. Just don't take apart the trigger group. Could have problems there, and they usually don't need alot of cleaning. good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Model 270

The 270 was first produced in 1963. It is a sweet tube-feed pump-action 22 that takes shorts, longs and long-rifle cartridges mixed or matched. Do not ever dry-fire as the firing pin could break and thay are very hard (I am told) to replace. You can order a reproduction of the original factory manual from www.rediscovered-shooting-treasures.com/winchester.htm.
If I remember correctly it costs between $5 and $6. I haven't found another source, yet. I only know this because I was doing some research on the rifle. I inherited one from my grandfather.

I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can detail to you how to clean it

Mic,

The rifle was made sometime 1963 to the middle 1970s.
I got mine as a gift by father on 1965 as graduation gift here in the Philippines. Its got history behind this great small bore rifle. I never used a scope. Its open sight till now, 2008. I broke the firing pin/extractor two years ago and handfile a replacement for the above. I couldn't just put it away.
I have cleaned my 270 for years without the benefit of an instruction manual. I will be making you a detailed one on how to do it.
Hopefully this would help you guys who just got this great small bore rifle.
Please let me know because I've just saw your mail.
Best Regards,

Jose Cuachon
[email protected]
Philippines

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mic,

The rifle was made sometime 1963 to the middle 1970s.
I got mine as a gift by father on 1965 as graduation gift here in the Philippines. Its got history behind this great small bore rifle. I never used a scope. Its open sight till now, 2008. I broke the firing pin/extractor two years ago and handfile a replacement for the above. I couldn't just put it away.
I have cleaned my 270 for years without the benefit of an instruction manual. I will be making you a detailed one on how to do it.
Hopefully this would help you guys who just got this great small bore rifle.
Please let me know because I've just saw your mail.
Best Regards,

Jose Cuachon
[email protected]
Philippines
Please...any help would be appreciated:burnout:

·
Registered
1 Posts
waytzel champion

would like to buy winchester model 270 if any one knows someone who has one for sell please let me know my e-mail is waytzelchampion @aol.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
win 270 parts gun

Hi Waytzel,

I have a 270 available. Unfortunately it is only a parts gun. It is missing the following:
* Complete trigger assembly
* Magazine tube plunger
* Rear site (I assume it was removed to mount a scope)
I bought this gun several years ago from a local FFL as a project gun - I fix stuff as an (very) amateur gunsmith. However, I have way too many projects and likely will not get to this one. The condition is a little rough, but it's not something that I could definitely make look new. Also, I have not acquired any of the missing parts since acquiring the gun. Let me know if you are interested.

All the best, dgculbertson

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts