Winchester Model 70 .270

Discussion in 'Range Visits' started by mouser868, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Bought a Winchester Model 70 in 270 Win a couple years ago and finally got time to play with it today. I bought it used, and it came with a Redfield 3X9 wideview scope on it. The trigger on the rifle is nice, has very little noticeable creep and very little overtravel.

As far as the scope goes I'm not a fan. I don't particularly care for the wide view, the windage and elevation adjustments are smooth with no clicks, and that took some getting use to.

Today I was shooting Winchester 130gr factory ammo and I got it close enough to shoot some test loads I've got worked up. I'll probably shoot those tomorrow or later this week. Funny thing is, as I was carrying stuff in the house, a deer came out to investigate. It was a doe, but eating size. IMG_20200919_184445.jpg

austinjoe13, cjleete, TXplt and 6 others like this.
  2. Keeper! What glass are you using?

TXplt likes this.

3. Redfield 3X9 wideview

TXplt and Ron The Legend like this.
  4. Ron The Legend

Ron The Legend G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    My favorite 130 gr load is 60 gr. H4831Sc. Years ago tried IMR 4831 but the H4831SC meters better and is faster at upper ends. 5 thousands off lands and pretty accurate. Is it a push feed or claw? Wood stock or synthetic? Want to sell the scope?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    mouser868, TXplt and noelekal like this.
  5. Unfortunately it is a push feed, with a synthetic stock. I wish it was a pre 64 with a walnut stock and controlled round feed. The featherlight one would be even better.

As far as the scope goes, I'm not sure yet, I wanna play with it a bit more, but at this point I'm less than pleased. With the Varget loads I adjusted it so the next higher load would have hit higher than it did with the first load and it put the 3 shots mixed with the first group when I shot the next group. After that I raised it again and it was a grain more powder and it was off the paper. Of which at most it should have been 4 inches higher.

The rifle seemed to like Reloader 22 best with 130gr HNDY spire point bullets. It also is showing signs of bedding issues. A group of the old 4831 showed a decently round group, but nothing to brag about.

Pics of the targets tomorrow

TXplt and Ron The Legend like this.
  6. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I had a Redfield scope fixed 4x on my Savage 110 which came with it as a package. It was not a bad scope though. I have a very pretty Winchester 70 Featherweight XTR in 270 with Walnut stock. It is one of my favorite all around rifles from varmint to deer size game. Mine had a Simmons on it I installed when I bought it back in the late 70's. I was using it also for long range mountain hunting. I thought it deserved a better scope and especially for the long range I was taking deer. I replaced it with a Léopold Vari X II in 3x9x40. Big difference. I did unbelievable shots with that scope and rifle. I have always trusted it in taking game with accurate and fast kill shots. I am a true believer in the 270 as I took Boar with it and even a couple turkeys.

7. Ron The Legend

Colorado
    Nothing wrong with a push feed. My Win. Xtr 30.06 is a push feed and shoots better than my old .270 pre 64. Both have been glass bedded and the .270 was cut and crowned, barrel rechambered with threads cut back. Hang in there and don't give up on the .270.

8. Not going to give up on it, may contact Boyds and get a piece of walnut to put on it. I like wood a lot better than synthetics.

IMG_20200920_154357.jpg IMG_20200922_095233.jpg

Ron The Legend likes this.
  9. Ron The Legend

Colorado
    looking pretty good. I agree with the wood stock.

mouser868 and rando like this.
  10. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    A few months back I saw one site bought up a large inventory of original Winchester M70 Black Walnut stocks. They were selling these fine stocks rather cheap. May have been Sarco or Gun Parts Corp.

Ron The Legend, K75RT and mouser868 like this.
  11. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Nice.

Big fan of the .270.

Ron The Legend, K75RT and mouser868 like this.
  12. Took the Redfield scope off the rifle this evening to swap it out to see if the issues I was having was scope related. Found that the rear base wiggled and the screws in the front base were only finger tight. Removed the bases and found a lot of gooey stuff under the front base and the bottom of the base was quite rough. The rear base didn't have as much gooey stuff under it and wasn't as rough on the bottom. I took some solvent and got the gooey stuff cleaned off both the bases and the rifle, then used steel wool to smooth out the roughness, then wiped them good with a silicon gun cloth. I then put some blue loctite on the screws and tightened them up the way the should be. Now I get to get it back on paper with factory ammo, then reload the test loads and try it all over again.

What's weird about it is when I got the rifle it had see thru mounts on it which I see no use for on a rifle that has no open sights. So I took those off and put a set of low Léopold rings on it and the bases didn't seem loose then. Guess that'll teach me to go ahead and loctite them while I have it apart the first time.

Ron The Legend and cjleete like this.
  13. Went to the bowling alley earlier today and bought a box of Hornady American Whitetail ammo for the 270. Got it on paper with the last 3 Winchester factory loads and then switched to the Hornady. Think I have the scope figured out, still needs to come up 3/4 of an inch and right about a half inch, but over all I'm happy. I can now retest the reloads. Seems the gun wants to shoot, might do better if I wasn't mowing in between groups. IMG_20200924_180853.jpg

Ron The Legend, TXplt and ChaZam like this.
  14. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Not too bad for some factory loads...

15. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

I have a post 64 model 70 in 30-06. First stock broke and I replaced with a factory walnut stock. Checked and the barrel will slide a dollar bill the full length of the barrel. That gun will shoot .5 moa with factory ammo, Win Silvertips. Yours should do the same. I reload but cannot beat that. Highly recommend you try a box. They are designed for Winchester rifles with a 22 inch barrel as I recall. Do not own one but feel the 270 is perhaps the best caliber for deer of about any made. I hunt with 257 WBY but not a nickel difference at 300 yards. FWIW