Gun and Game Forum banner

Winchester Model 94 30-30 loose trigger

38K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  rich3030 
#1 ·
I recently aquired a Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 cal. The trigger is very loose both when the gun is both cocked or uncocked. It is as if a spring is missing to keep the trigger from 'flopping around' back and forth. Is there a relatively easy fix or repair for this problem? According to the serial number, it was manufactured in 1974. Any information or advice is appreciated.

#3 ·
First off, Let me say welcome to G&G. With that said, someone may have an exact answer for you. Give it time. In the mean time, I'll check mine for you when I get the chance. It is much newer though, I'm figuring made in 2006, the last year they made them.

I'd also suggest, if you are that concerned about this, and to error on the side of caution, take it to a qualified reputable gunsmith and have it checked out...

#6 ·
Thanks to all who have responded. It sounds like the loose play in the trigger on these 94's is common. There is about 15mm of loose travel in the trigger from it's forward-most position, to where it stops before pressure must be applied to drop the hammer. I can see a small amout of travel would be OK, but 15mm seems like quite a bit. Do you other model 94 owners see the same amout of loose travel? Thanks again for your responses.

#7 ·
Thanks to all who have responded. It sounds like the loose play in the trigger on these 94's is common. There is about 15mm of loose travel in the trigger from it's forward-most position, to where it stops before pressure must be applied to drop the hammer. I can see a small amout of travel would be OK, but 15mm seems like quite a bit. Do you other model 94 owners see the same amout of loose travel? Thanks again for your responses.

Yes I do. I think it's normal.

#9 ·
That's just the way they are. One of these days, I plan to figure out how to fix it, or come up with a "match" trigger. You've gotta remember, though, one of the reasons '94's don't fail is BECAUSE of the slop built it in. Just like the AK, Mini-14, or any other gun you can think of that's known for it's reliability, a certain amount of slop allows it to run clean or dirty, in any temperatures or conditions.

#13 ·
this thread got me wondeering, so i checked my 1980's 94ae in .45lc. it has 6mm of travel and there's obviously a spring in there to hold the trigger forward. i can hear it creak when i take up the trigger. never even thought about it before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.