Winchester Model 94 AE XTR in .30-30 , Good for deer hunting?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by nc.hunter, Aug 31, 2008.

1. nc.hunter

nc.hunter G&G Newbie

Hey guys, My 15th birthday is coming up in october, and I was wondering If a winchester model 94 in .30-30 would work for deer hunting, most shots would be under 125 yards. I have pretty good things about those rifles.

2. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

At the ranges you're anticipating, it would be an excellent choice as would be the Marlin 336, which is much easier to scope.

3. sell33

sell33 G&G Newbie

that should definitely do it. i like the Marlins personally tho.

4. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

When I was young Winchester had a long running

advertisement stating more deer had been taken with the 94 in .30-30
    than any other rifle/cartridge combination in history. I absolutely do not doubt this in any way.

So, yes, it is well proven over many decades.

Like any rifle, before the hunting season, practice - practice - practice as this is what will make the critical difference.

5. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

The Winchester Model 94 is the quintessential American brush gun. At ranges under 100 yards it shoots flat to point of aim and gives you a fast second shot if you need it. You might not want to scope it. If your stalking skills or deer-calling skills are good enough, you don't need a scope for one. Just my opinion.

6. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

If you use the Hornady ammo it will be one well of a Deer rifle...But Consider the 35 Remington it's super bad as in a better caliber...A.H

7. MikeZRed

MikeZRed G&G Newbie

I have a 94 in .30-30 that shoots great (though it doesn't fit me all that well). Since I got it, though, I've been eyein' my buddy's Marlin 336.

IF you're interested in a scope, the Winchester requires the scope to be mounted off the side of the receiver, instead of "on top" like a normal rifle. The Marlin, with its side-eject, allows you to put the scope where it belongs.

I really wasn't interested in scoping mine, however - I dig the iron sights and I think there's something sacreligious about scoping a lever action .30-30. (But that's just me.)

The main reason I was eyeing the Marlin is the action. The feed mechanism is much smoother and it doesn't begin until the lever is brought backward - the Winchester begins the feed sequence when the lever is brought all the way forward.

More importantly, when you bring the lever forward on the Winchester, the "entire" bottom of the action opens up, which the Marlin doesn't do. Obviously the 94 has been around forever and it wouldn't have the reputation that it does if this was a huge problem; but there's something chancy, IMNHO, with opening the action like that in heavy brush.

I had a chance to swap my 94 for a used 336, but, despite all my preferences for the Marlin's design, I stuck with my Winchester. I didn't care for the trigger on the Marlin at all (though this could have been because the rifle had been a little neglected).

Take a look at both, and see which you prefer.

I also hardily endorse Hornady's LeveRevolution ammo. I use it in my .30-30 and my .45-70.

8. Kompressor

Kompressor G&G Newbie

I have a Marlin .30-30 myself. -Heard all kinds of stuff from other hunters that it wasn't accurate enough and all, but I tried it and easily put five shots within 2 inches at 140 feet away, uphill behind my garage, standing... I figure it has to do with the trigger, or actually the time it takes for the hammer to come down, as compared to ordinary bolt action pins. It takes time, and a non-trained shooter will easily brace for the recoil, hence getting less than desired accuracy. I started out with handguns, and I think it helps me in many ways on my way to becoming a good rifleman, some day. Just remember to relax and do not brace, you'll do fine with your rifle! I've mounted a 1X red dot Aimpoint on my Marlin. And with the new (here at least) LeveRevolution, the future's looking bright for my use of this swee rifle!

9. Oxford

Oxford Retired Moderator

I've used my Win 94 for deer hunting because: 1, it's available, 1, I enjoy it's looks, 3, In thick trees/brush where I hunt, the short bbl make it easy to maneuver into shooting position, 4, It's lighter than some of my other deer rifles, 5, It's fast to reload, if needed, and 6, because it gets lonely if not used regularly.

10. Cole K

Cole K G&G Newbie

Hi, nc.hunter and an early happy birthday.
    Have you not been reading the gun mags?
    And know that you can’t kill a deer with anything less than the latest and greatest SUPER Mag?
    Just kidding!!!
    Of course you can kill a deer with a 30-30 within 100-125 yards!!!!
    I’ve been doing it for 45+ years. About half of the 100+ deer I’ve killed have been shot with a 30-30 well within that range. Most of the other half of the deer I’ve killed were killed within 200 yards with other calibers.

I get some funny looks sometimes for the younger guys at the deer camp when I pull out one of my 30-30’s.

But don’t be ashamed of the 30-30 it will get the job done within 125+ yards.

11. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

**** straight

everyone needs a winchester 94, the 30-30 rounds, expensive, yea

but its the crap, i love that rifle more than anything (well, except for my sks, but thats a different story)

12. buckhunter92

buckhunter92 G&G Newbie

ya the Winchester 94 30-30 is THE definition of an American brush hunter and has been ever since it came out back then. Makes me mad that Winchester dont make them anymore....but Marlin will do anything the Winchester can. And at 125yrds or less then its perfect

13. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan G&G Enthusiast

My dad had a Win 30-30 and after he died my mom is hanging on to all his guns (including the all matching Russian SKS) waiting for my brother and i to get older (im 22 hes 19) before she splits them up and gives them to us. But there is something about the 30-30 that just makes you want to shoot it, maby its the lever action i dont know lol.

14. brandonj

brandonj G&G Newbie

i hve never took shoot at a deer with my marlin 30-30 but i can vouch for it being a sweet rifle, i love the action, and the iron sights are all you need for 100-140 feet, after a bit of practice of course,

15. packerfan

packerfan G&G Newbie

After hunting in a shotgun only county for many years, they recently opened our county back up to rifles. I picked up a Win model 94AE 30-30 and have loved it every since.

Granted I love the look and nostalgia of a cowboy gun, but I also love hunting with this gun. I love the size and weight. We hunt in some very hilly and brushy terrain. This gun is a breeze to carry on drives, while tracking, or even just hiking in a 5 am.

It's also a very fast gun. With the lever action, I can get off a second shot must faster than any bolt action, and if necessary, can get off 4 shots in the time a bolt might get off 2. I would have had to do a lot of tracking to collect the biggest buck I've every shot if not for this fast action, as my first shot was not ideal, and I needed my second shot to drop it with in 20 yds of where I first hit it. If I had been using a .30-06 or some other bolt action, I would have never gotten off my second shot, and would have had to track the deer for some some time.

The model 94AE (Angle eject) was one of the few modifications made to the original design (the safety being the another). With the slight modification, they made is so the spent casing is ejected at an angle instead of straight up, allowing a scope to mounted directly over the chamber instead of forward (as in the trapper style) or on the side as was required in pre AE models.

I put a Nikon 2-7x shotgun scope on mine as I wanted to keep it relatively small and light. I like scope as it helps with determining rack size and increases the my accuracy with the gun at the 150-200 yd ranges. It also helps insure accurate shot placement. I had tracking deer, and have dropped every deer I've shot with this gun within 25 yds of where I first hit them. I did have to rotate the scope 90 deg counter clockwise, as the Windage adjustment interferring with the cartridge eject, and in some cases bouncing back in the chamber. After rotating in 90 CCW, my Windage is now elevation and my elevation now windage, but on left side (no big deal)

While most of my shots in the in past 5 years have been at 50-90 yd range, I do like the option of reaching out a little further and have switched to the new Hornady LEVERevolution cartridges. Although a little more expensive then regular .30-30 rounds ($18/box), it does increase the reach of the gun. These rounds have a incrediable flat tradjectory out to 150 yds, and only see a small 3" drop at 200 yds While I can't vouch for the 300 yd accuracies that are advertised, I do know that I can easily knock a deer down a 200 with out any real compensation.

Bottom line, while there may be an occasion or two that I wished I had a 400 yd gun, I know that when when hunting in the hills of Wisconsin, I sure enjoy having my .30-30 in hand. I don't know that I will ever switch for deer hunting although if I do get the opportunity to go out Elk and/or Antelope hunting, I might pick up a little longer range rifle.

Happy Birthday and Happy Hunting.

16. bluRAYwhale

bluRAYwhale G&G Newbie

Is The .30-.30 Winchchester Model 94 (AE?) suitable for deer?

:veryhappy: [Clint Eastwood's "The Outlaw Josie Wales", cool]. I wouldn't reccoment it. Buy/use a .30-06 Springfield. With factory loaded ammo. it's more suitable(for deer) at the ranges you're likely to encounter. If you are/can handload there is(reduced), loads similiar to the .30-.30(ex:150gr.@ 2,300fps), in recoil(if that's a concern), and balistics. Depending on what style of rifle you select(bolt/pump/auto), you'll increase you're accuracy greatly over the lever style. Cost is always a factor and currently Remington Model 760,s and 700,s in great condition can be had for around $300. Or possibly a Winchester Model 70, there's alot of them available and with this cartridge if you want to shoot other game/non-game animals(at greater distances), you're set. You can always use the heavier(180gr. and above), bullets that are effective on larger deer species, or use the ligher(100/125gr.), on varmits and nongame/plinking shooting. Versatility is legendary in the .30-06, it's North America's #1 cartridge for a reason-see why. Buy one now at the age you're at and you'll be ahead, eventially you'll get one(or more), anyways, everyone does. Did I mention all the loads in the 150 thru 168gr. no, there's alot. 100 plus years and going strong: Ball cartridge, Caliber .30, Model of 1906 -- .30GOV'T06 -- .30-06 Springfield -- .30-06 -- or just plain 'ole 06!!! :hail:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  17. FortyXDM

FortyXDM Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure that scoping a model 94 makes a whole lot of sense. To the indifferent shooter, they are somewhat of a wonder, as they lack a lot of power nor have great accuracy when compared to many other rifles. Their appeal seems to be the nostalgia and the fact that they are a short, light, handy rifle that is easy to carry. A scope would simply ruin their best features. That said, the 94 is a wonderful rifle when used properly and particularly for those with good eyes and thankfully will be with us as long as there are deer hunters and shooters.

18. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I have to disagree about the scope.A scope can be found that works just as fast and even more accurate than iron sights.But you can't add one and maintain the clean lines and brush free handling of the original ,94.At one time I wouldn't have cared for a scope,now I do little shooting without one except for handgun and shotgun.It's what works for you that counts. ,,,sam.

19. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

peep sight.
    small aperture for target work and open for hunting.
    learn to handload.
    the 30-30 if ackleyed steps the whole program up a notch.
    just shoot the thing you'll learn what it'll do soon enough.
    if you ever take up casting, the winchester will remain a favorite in either type of bullet.

20. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

At the ranges nc described,I don't think a 30-30 mod. 94 ae can be beat, light ,fasthandling plus ammo can be found bout anywhere and not to expensive.low recoil and a great scorecard on deer.