Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Winchester Model 94 this week for $300. I was told it was an original model made before 1964. I'll have to find a way to remove some rust on the exterior and give it a thorough cleaning and lubrication. Got any suggestions for removing rust?

Also, it's walnut stock is in excellent condition...but it needs to be refinished. It hasn't been shot for many years. I plan to take it to a gunsmith for evaluation before firing it, if everything's ok.

Serial Number 40960XX

What can anyone tell me about this rifle? I've been reading some interesting history of the gun. This gun will fit in my collection just fine.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.
Ox :right:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hi Ox, If the rust isn't to bad steel wool works well, a bit hard on blueing but leaves a nice smooth finish without taking any metal away.

Cheers and happy hunting

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wirehunt, etc...That 30-30 ought to be sufficient to take down a white tail deer. Have you shot the Winchester 94?

Also, since posting post #1 of this thread I've looked in Winchester's on-line data for dating their guns according to serial number. This rifle was made in 1974...not pre 1964 as I was told by the person I bought the gun from. In addition, from what I've read, in the manufacturing of these guns after 1964 some of the internal parts are made by a different process than those made pre '64. Seems that some internal parts are made from "folded steel" rather than from castings or forged parts as a method to reduce production costs, but probably not causing any reduction in quality...just authenticity of the original 1894 rifle.

I had hoped to have the pre 1964 rifle...but still...I "think" the price I paid was still in the ball park for what they're worth, depending upon their condition.

Now I'm wondering if a 3X scope would be a worthwhile installation for the deer hunt?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts