Winchester Problems with Production M1

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by eclancy, May 9, 2008.

1. eclancy

eclancy Guest

Gentlemen,
    A question for the new guys. Why do you think that US Ordnance had so many problems with the Winchester M1 Garand Orders? Remember, in 1942 Winchester only had 1 shift working, production at Winchester was behind. This problem went on during all of WW2. So what do you think was going on? Thanks for your input.

[​IMG]

A word to the WISE for CONGRESS:
    "You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass." Admiral Yamamoto

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Thanks again for taking the time and effort to read this data. I hope you have learned a little of the history of the M1 Garand.
    Clancy
    ps Could use some hits. I hope to have both sites update in soon. Have fun hope you enjoy and learn.
    NRA Life Endowment
    NRA Training Counselor
    NRA Instructor
    FSS 90% / BW X Speed Div by 1000 = PF

2. My guess would be Union/Management issues with the work force.

3. eclancy

eclancy Guest

littlejoe,
    Problem was that wasa all worked out before Winchester got the go ahead to build the M1 Rifle. However, in early 1942 we being at WAR Winchester only had 1 shift working??
    Thanks again
    Clancy

4. jpwilly

jpwilly Guest

They were busy building other more profitable stuff?

5. Please note . . .

at that time in history a lot of the work was done by highly trained machinists. The Garand was not an easy build in 1942.
    Remember, it was not about automated assembly lines so numerous people were involved in forging, drilling, rifling, rough machining, final machining, quality control inspections, parkerizing, assembling, testing, cleaning/applying protectants for shipping, packaging, and shipping.

It takes time to train new people and set up a smootly running production line and this was especially true in 1942.