Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Cabelas today to pick up some ammo for an upcoming range visit. Was looking for some .223 or 5.56 and found this Win USA Ready stuff, it seemed pretty cool and was a great price at 8.99/20, thats the same as most m193/m855 type stuff they had. I like that it is .62 gr, a good weight for my 1/9 twist at longer ranges and the open tip should be more accurate. Velocity also is a little over m855 I think.

i cant find much about it online as far as reviews so it must be pretty new ( these boxes are stamped LOT 1) so i thought i'd post it and get some discussion started. I got 3 boxes so I'll be able to provide a report in about a week or two.

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Rifle/USA-Ready-/RED223

·
Premium Member
10,355 Posts
I use the 62 grain in my Henry single shot 223. I have a few different brands though. It is also a 1 in 9 twist. I may try to find them locally and try them

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well guys I had a chance to test them out, ill be honest it was a very unscientific, however a very real-world test.

I went to this awesome range up in the mountain plains which has various steel targets from 200-600 yards. it was soo much fun! now I was shooting my ar which is bascially an m4 clone, govt profile barrel and all. so its not designed to be a long range tack driver. also i use a 3x burris ar332 optic. for the price its about as good as it gets IMO. i love it. I did try out a 2-7 mostrum tactical scope(cheapo) and even with the 7x i liked the burris better.

so anyways to the ammo.. I did most of the shooting at 2-400 yards with the Burris 332. at 200 it didn't matter what ammo i shot i was hitting the target( largish steel pigs) with ease. At 300 and 400 esp ammo made a much bigger difference in drop and wind effects. what i found was that at 3-400 i was able be on target more consistently and with greater ease when shooting....... M193. yep good ole 5.56 55 gr m193. the Win 62 grain stuff wasnt bad i hit most of the time, but it definitely had more drop and seemed to have a larger spread. i did rotate from one to the other, so its not like I shot a bunch of m193 and heated up the barrel to then shoot the 62 gr winnie stuff. i shot some other stuff too privi m855 was actually pretty consistent.

Ive noticed, the "budget" priced ammo that is supposed to be better than regular fmj really isnt. ive tried it now from hornady(frontier) and winchster (usa ready). big surprise huh ??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.