Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winchester has a picture of their target model Wildcat up on their site.

It has a bull barrel, drilled and tapped for scope rings and an adjustable trigger. MSRP is $265.

Wildcat Target/Varmint

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have the TOZ-78-01 and love it. From what I hear, these are a direct copy of the TOZ-78-04 or TOZ-78-05 with better bluing and an "americanized" stock. They are even being made in the Tula factory if all I have read is correct. Should be a great shooter but I am cheap and was happy to get mine NIB for $115 out the door. But I would be happy to shoot that one if you have an extra you would like to donate to a 21 year old with a wife and baby on the way! HAHA!

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,459 Posts
I've seen the Russian original too - a range friend has one. He's very pleased with it! If that shooting quality now has better looks - "WOOHOO!" :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Here is the link to the Tula website for the original Toz-78. Tulsky Oruzheiny Zavod
The bottom one in the picture there is the equivalent to the target model of the wildcat with the bull barrel and no iron sights. The 78-01's come with an 8.5 mm scope rail. I just need to find some mounts that will fit the rail then I will be in business! Although the iron sights are pretty good too, and definitely unique with the paddle wheel style rear sight.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I got mine at J&G. I don't think they have them any more however. I don't know if I can post a link to another forum or not so I won't, but if you PM me I will send you a link to a forum with a TON of info on them. I believe a lot of guys are getting theirs from Centerfire Systems now. .22LR "WHISPER"<br>Bolt Action Rifle<br>Part #WHISPER22

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Dan22, I'm just new here...and looking at one of these Wildcats ($559nz)...Have you bought one...or just looking...an unfortunate thing about web shopping is not being able to pick the thing up and get a feel of it...anyone here know what the machining and that is like...does the bolt have a tight action...and how would it compare to the standard setting CZ452/3

Wildcat Target/Varmint, Bolt Action 22 Rifle -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Product Model

Do we potentially have another version of the model 52 of its day...allbeit for a sports market...certainly seems to look the business.

I might have to make the 200 mile trip for a closer inspection

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,459 Posts
I now have the Russian TOZ78 myself. While the Winchester has a far better stock and overall finish, the Russian model has the adjustable trigger that the Winny lacks.
While a good shooter, it'll never threaten the WInchester 52, or even the 75T for accuracy and quality. My 75T makes the Russky pale by comparison.
Still, I like it.
A very nice sporter indeed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts