Gun and Game Forum banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
We run gas heating in the house.But in my shed i built my own pot belly from truck brake drums and a few other bits.The door hinges are spring compressors,the lower section is a old 4x4 rim with a door cut for air control.The flue has a large washer for exhaust control butterfly. I cut the doors out of the truck drums with a hacksaw.Took many hours.The top is a merc truck disc brake rotor.It makes the shed toasty warm on winter days when its below freezing.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
This scenario is just food for thought now that its getting colder.
You have gas central heat but it needs electricity for the fan and ignition circuit. Electric range and electric dryer both won't work. You have a two story house with unfinished basement.
What would you do?

Note: I posted this in the Survival Gear thread because I believe you will need some stuff to get through.
Drive down the road about a mile to the Days Inn.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
We run gas heating in the house.But in my shed i built my own pot belly from truck brake drums and a few other bits.The door hinges are spring compressors,the lower section is a old 4x4 rim with a door cut for air control.The flue has a large washer for exhaust control butterfly. I cut the doors out of the truck drums with a hacksaw.Took many hours.The top is a merc truck disc brake rotor.It makes the shed toasty warm on winter days when its below freezing.

Is that pipe wrapped with chain also? looks it from my view.

·
Premium Member
30,667 Posts
turn the water on a trickle to save the plumbing
put on my heavy winter gear
and if i need to cook
go outside and make a fire/use gas grill

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'm thinking that most heating problems would arise from Loss of Electricity which you need for Oil Furnaces and Electric heat.

Gas is underground and even though you might lose electric power for ignition you can still use a match to light a burner for cooking. Have plenty of matches available.

A good snow can also interrupt oil deliveries. Make sure you have plenty of oil in your tank. I ran out one year in upstate NY and the Oil truck couldn't get through so we ended up with 167 broken copper fittings in our hot water radiator system.

If you have a well and lose electric your well pump won't run so you will not be able to have your water drip to prevent freezing the pipes. If you have no electric power you can also forget all your power tools to build a wood stove at that point. Plan ahead!

We had a frost line of 48" in the winter of '77-78 and the pipes were only 3' deep. We had a warmup in early January, the snow melted and then we got a deep freeze. We had a guy with a truck mounted welder come over and hook one lead on the fire hydrant and the other lead on the input valve of the house. After a few minutes of juice the water started to flow. He then went from house to house, down the street at 50$ a pop to get the water running again.

Generators can take a lot of fuel when you go past a few days you'll find it disappears fast.

If you have a garden tractor or motorcycle you can remove the battery and hook it up to a 3-outlet cigarette lighter adaptor and power phone chargers, radios and countless other electronic goodies. An inexpensive Solar panel for charging batteries would keep it going forever.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
And if they don't have any power, then what?
Well, if the whole town is out, I guess I'd have to drive a few more miles to the Holiday Inn.

We've had exactly one regional power failure (except for my town, oddly) in the 23 years that I've lived in Ohio. All the others were very local and very short.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I'm wondering how far a person can drive if the roads have not been plowed during or after a large snowfall. I too live in Ohio and have used my generator on three occasions after high wind storm events knocked out power for 4.5 days, 2.5 days, and 1.5 days (never during winter though) which I take as a blessing. I know it's just a matter of time before a storm passes through that will cripple most of us until things get cleared up. I plan on being able to weather the storm and encourage all of you to make/take appropriate steps to do the same. Deep13, I wish you the best of luck if you find yourself in a situation that warrants you having to "bug out."

·
Premium Member
30,667 Posts
If I got snowed in and had to resort to the unspeakable act of cannibalism
I would hold out until the last second before I would slaughter a member of the group
in other words
at least an hour after the power went out...

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Today is Friday the 6th of December and we're enjoying snow from that big storm that stretches from Ohio to Arkansas with snow. So far it has not been anything near what the weather folks were predicting but it's only 5PM and we still have a long while before it ends since I live near Dayton, Ohio.
For all the rest of you either in the storm path or going through it right now, hang in there. Oh yes, we did stock up on some groceries this past week just so we would be prepared in case it really got bad.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
Well, if the whole town is out, I guess I'd have to drive a few more miles to the Holiday Inn.

We've had exactly one regional power failure (except for my town, oddly) in the 23 years that I've lived in Ohio. All the others were very local and very short.
That may not be the case in the future, the way the gubmint has let the power grid infrastructure go to hell.

We are looking at the distinct possibility of nationwide power outages at any time.

If you are going to prepare for winter, prepare for being without electric power for at least a week.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
I'm wondering how far a person can drive if the roads have not been plowed during or after a large snowfall.....
It depends on three factors: 1) the depth of the snow fall, 2) the vehicle and it's accessories, and 3) the experience of the driver.

On the road is the LAST place I want to be if all the power in the area is out.

Been there, done that.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Another winter storm heading North East. Indiana followed by Ohio is next. None of the forecasters seem to be on the same page regarding the wet stuff. I think it will turn more East North East after Ohio and encounter colder air making it miserable for all of you in its path. Make your plans accordingly, some groceries, gas tank full, and a means to heat/eat if utilities get disrupted.

·
Premium Member
20,570 Posts
ust got back from weekly shopping trip, filled gas tank, everything ready including back up battery for computer to be on G&G.

101 - 120 of 154 Posts