Gun and Game Forum banner

121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
This storm is kind of wimping out in the Southwest corner of Ohio, but the rest of you east of here (all the way to the east coast) might have some stories to pass on to the rest of us.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Most of our power outages were from people crashing into power poles. Have a few emergency supplies like a little food and water, blanket, extra pair of shoes and gloves in your car. Never know, if you are close enough to an accident, you might get stuck in traffic for a while until things get cleared up.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
We sure have had a lot of snow and cold across the US and it's not officially winter for another week. One thing I'm adding to my JIC (Just In Case) stash will be the latest version of the Farmers Almanac. They are more accurate and consistent than the weather people.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
2 January 2014 and the weather was miserable this morning with heavy snow coming down at 5AM in the Dayton, Ohio area. We had to get our son to the airport so he could head back to Hawaii and his military duties. Not a lot of traffic at that time in the morning but there are some who still like to drive too fast. I have a Xterra 4x4 and it sure does great when the roads are bad.

Anyway, for those of you northeast of Dayton, get ready for some more snow. Also, better plan on bitter cold temps that fall below zero through next week. Get your groceries, firewood, or backup heat and power sources ready. Lastly, insulate your plumbing to avoid frozen pipes.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
2 January 2014 and the weather was miserable this morning with heavy snow coming down at 5AM in the Dayton, Ohio area. We had to get our son to the airport so he could head back to Hawaii and his military duties. Not a lot of traffic at that time in the morning but there are some who still like to drive too fast. I have a Xterra 4x4 and it sure does great when the roads are bad.

Anyway, for those of you northeast of Dayton, get ready for some more snow. Also, better plan on bitter cold temps that fall below zero through next week. Get your groceries, firewood, or backup heat and power sources ready. Lastly, insulate your plumbing to avoid frozen pipes.
NOAA says my high for tomorrow is -2.
Otherwise, yep. Got the firewood (going though it fast though, but so has everyone around here), got groceries, camp fuel, and after a frozen pipe incident a few weeks ago, pipes are insulated.
Additional item, fill up water jugs/cans/5gal buckets/bladders.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
We've got another storm scheduled to hit on Sunday 5 Jan, followed by extreme cold M-W in the negative numbers (possibly -17 for one of those days). In typical fashion, its going to hit the Northeast again after it passes through Ohio.
Saturday, I plan on getting those insulated faucet covers, filling the vehicles and gas cans, getting some groceries, water, and a few other things. Electrical demands will be extremely high on the power grid infrastructure and we'll have to see if it can handle it.
Snow blower is ready to go and this time I'll remember to spray the moving parts and chute with silicone spray or Pam non-stick spray to keep the snow from sticking and building up around the auger area.

·
Premium Member
18,722 Posts
Deb and I are chancing it and heading to the farm after work tomorrow for two days of archery deer season. Sunday shouldn't be too bad, below zero and windy, Monday morning should be well below zero, windy as well. If we play our cards right and the hunting God has our back, we should tag out sometime Sunday so we can get home before it gets really cold.

·
Premium Member
20,570 Posts
Went grocery shopping and filled the gas tank up tonite. Got to get gas can filled for the snow blower in the morning. Bring 'er on!

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
Went grocery shopping and filled the gas tank up tonite. Got to get gas can filled for the snow blower in the morning. Bring 'er on!
Hee Hee!! That's the attitude!! :)

Saturday is supposed to be a heat wave for us, with temps up to 27!! Sunday it's going to dip and I just looked and we're supposed to see a high on Monday of -13 and 25mph winds!!

But with the short heatwave tomorrow I can go sight in my newly acquired Mossberg Chuckster!! Whoo Hoo!!! And I found .22 Mag ammo today, too!

·
Premium Member
20,570 Posts
Also. make sure your cell phones are charged up, in case of a power outage.

·
Old man, No tact...
12,354 Posts
Freezers are stocked, ran the generator yesterday, Both vehicles are gassed up, as are two 5 gal gas cans, and it's a 1 minute walk to the town building, and a snow plow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This scenario is just food for thought now that its getting colder.
You have gas central heat but it needs electricity for the fan and ignition circuit. Electric range and electric dryer both won't work. You have a two story house with unfinished basement.
What would you do?

Note: I posted this in the Survival Gear thread because I believe you will need some stuff to get through.
Bumped for seasonal applicability.

OPs description pretty much describes my old house that the ex wife got.
We would get at least one seasonal power outage per winter in the 20 years I was there.
The wife refused to allow stuff like generators, she said I was paranoid for wanting to prep for such things.
We got by by sealing off unused areas. She would bake like mad; I think the outage gave her an excuse to do so. The baking in her gas range would usually heat the downstairs area.

My current house is under 1000 square feet and if the gas boiler were to go out, the wood stove is more than adequate to the task of heating the house. The previous owners heated solely with wood until they had to install the boiler to sell the house.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
All I can say is we have a Honda generator and cans of gas for it in the garage. We would probably be good as long as we could fill the tank.

·
The outer edge of civilization
13,827 Posts
Woodstove, gas grill that's under cover, closed off unused rooms, thermal lined drapes on the windows, thermal lined drapes to cover case openings into the dining room and den after we move the birds into the living room. I think I've got it pretty well covered. :)

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
I went out and bought a 5000 watt generator for our RV, but I'm going to have a tap installed so we can plug into the house and run our gas furnace and our 120 volt lights and appliances. Now I just need about 4 more 5 gallon gas tanks in case we need to hunker down for a few days.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Hey everyone, it's New Years Eve - tomorrow will be 2017 and I decided to read this entire thread again and I must admit I have enjoyed all the wisdom, good ideas, suggestions, lessons learned, and future improvements people are planning on doing. Thanks for your posts, it was a great reminder on some of the things I wanted to do but didn't get around to doing them as yet. :oops:
Take care everyone and have a very safe and Happy New Year 2017.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Went through this for 10 days a while back during the big ice storm. Our little Vermont Castings wood stove in the basement kept our home at 60 degrees or higher. I haven't been able to get the generator started this year so I need to work on that. We've got plenty of wood, candles, water, and food so we'll be OK, even if I can't get the generator running. Do need to pick up more batteries though. JR

121 - 140 of 154 Posts