close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wish I had a scanner...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Calvin, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

...to show you guys what happened Friday at the range. Took one of my carbines out shooting and had a round not chamber completely. Not realizing this, I squeezed the trigger and the extractor went flying into the stratosphere, the ejector bent, and the base plate on the mag blew out. I haven't taken the carbine apart yet, but will tonight. I have never had this happen before with any firearm, but have seen it done. I recovered the suspect case, and the case blew apart at the base and you can see the web of the brass. It really made me mad, as I had just had it reworked with new parts. The headspace was correct, as I did check it with my gauges. I did notice a small crack on the bolt at the lug. I'm having it magnafluxed as soon as I can get it cleaned up, and will also have the receiver checked for any stress cracks.
    I know it didn't seat fully into the chamber, because of the way the brass is. Anyone have this happen to them before?

2. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Bummer

You need a Digital camera not a scanner. I go mine on ubid.com for $50 :)

3. Your lucky you were not seriosly hurt or killed. If I were you, I would shitcan the Carbine and take as many working parts off of it.

4. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I plan on keeping this one, unless, of course, the receiver is screwed up. I'm having it rebarreled and am gonna use an M2 bolt this time. I was wearing glasses and now they are pretty scratched up, although I'm not sure if it was from the blast or me throwing them across the firing line after I figured out what happened.
    Armorer, I have a digital camera but no scanner to download the pictures online. Am woking on getting one soon, though.

5. Armorer

Armorer Guest

If you have a digital camera, the pics are ready to go from the camera to the net.

If you need softare to interface between the camera and the PC, there are lots of those programs about.

The only reason you would need a scanner is to make your paper picture a data file.

6. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Was this a flat type 1 bolt?

7. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Yeah, it was. I originally had an M2 bolt in it, but it was pretty well used up. I just figured I'd buy a new M1 bolt for it, which I did, but I guess it didn't help. It's really bothering me that this happened. I've always loved them, but now I'm a little leery of them.
    I don't have the software to download the pictures, but will get it sometime this week.

8. I would take it to a competent gunsmith to have it all checked out. It may cost you some bucks, but you will get piece of mind

9. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I'm sending it to the guy I bought it from years ago to have it checked out before I do anything else to it. He's an ex-Army armorer who used to work on them in Korea, so he knows what to look for and how to fix it.

10. That is a serious problem that occurred- I hope that the reciever isnt compromised.

11. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Yeah Calvin,I think for a shooter I'd use a round bolt. They had a reason to upgrade them 'cause the flat bolts were causing some problems. Just glad you are alright,and I hope the rifle isn't seriously damaged.

12. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Thanks for the concern, guys. I'm really glad nothing more serious happened myself:)
    I just got back from Columbus. I had the receiver x-rayed and the x-ray showed no signs of stressing, which is great news. I also had the bolt checked, and even though it was new, there was a defect in the metal that no one could have seen with the naked eye. It was a section about .0023 behind the lug, running across the width of the bolt. There was another about .00410 running parallel with the firing pin hole, on the upper right side, just under the surface. The guy told my Dad and I that it was most likely ground over in an attempt to hide it. He said he thinks what happened was that the case was just a small fraction out of the chamber and the ignition caused the bolt to expand at the crack by the firing pin, allowing the extractor to blow like it did and then the crack behind the lug opened enough to prevent the bolt from going rearward when it should have. I didn't notice it until today, but there is a serious scuff on the inside of the slide, as if the slide were trying to go rearward but the bolt prevented its movement and held it in place.
    Wes, you are right, and I have learned 3 things from this experience. One is to ALWAYS wear safety glasses. Second is to realize how serious these situations are. And, third, I'm going to have ALL new parts checked before I have them installed. The bolt was sold as a new bolt from a gun store I have been going to for years. The owner of the gun store said he will replace it at no charge to me, if I'd like him to.
    I guess all's well that ends well..........

13. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Good to hear it's alright,and thanks for passing on the info about the bolt. Those early type 1 bolts did have a problem of cracking at the lug.

14. Tell the owner to stick the bolt up his a ss! He should replace the rifle with somthing comprable. He is lucky you dont sue him. He could be held liable for that.

15. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Nah, everything has worked out okay so far. The main thing is I wasn't hurt, and the next is that my carbine is still serviceable. The owner said he was extremely sorry and he had no way of knowing if the bolt was bad or not. I looked it over and was satisfied with the overall appearence of it. He has offered to help pay (50%) to have it fixed, and that's more than I can say for some other gun shop owners.
    I'm also thankful my Dad works in the steel buisness. He was the one who set it up for the bolt and receiver to be x-rayed. He told one of his customers, who builds parts for the military, what happened and told Dad to bring it to his shop ASAP. It's a very expensive procedure, about $500 just for the bolt alone. He did both the bolt and receiver and only charged me $25, so I'm pretty happy.
    And, I don't have any hard feelings toward the gun shop owner. He couldn't have seen this coming. He had just got the carbine parts in from another gun shop who I have dealt with before and had a bad experience with. He hadn't even had time to inventory the shipment when I came in looking for a bolt because UPS had just dropped it off. And, he stepped up to the plate when I told him what happened, offering to pay for the repair when he really didn't have to.

16. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Calvin,did you learn a lesson here? Like,don't get your knickers in a twist when buying carbine stuff? hehe.

17. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Yeah, something to that effect, I'd suppose. :)

18. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Sorry about your M1 carbine and I'm glad you didn't get hurt or cause injury to anyone else(you know how lawsuit happy everyone is these days). I've never had one or shot one. I think they'd be a neat behind the seat gun and I'll have to get one sometime.

19. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Joe, you would like the carbine,light,fast handling,decent range and accuracy,and you can hold and shoot it with one hand. Can't hit much,but you can do it.

20. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I was doing really well with mine 'til it went south on me. I was ringing a gong at 200 yards really easily.
    Joe, there was one other guy there and he was 50 feet away. He was having so much fun with my SKS he didn't even hear it when it happened. I am grateful that no one else got hurt, too.
    Take it from me, if you do get one, be careful about the parts you buy. I am from here on out. They are GREAT little weapons, and Wes is right about shooting them with one hand. Use them for their intended purpose and they are hard to beat.