Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Witness (Tanfoglio) P Compact .45 ACP, I really like the gun but I would really like a full size gun. Also, in AL we have to have a 4" barrel min. to use in the woods hunting. My witness only has a 3.6" barrel which I like for CCW. I have found a Ruger either a P-85 or a P-89 also in .45 ACP, that meets the other requirements. I can't afford to buy the Ruger, but I can trade the Witness for it. Thus my delimma. The Ruger is not so great for CCW but great for a hunting backup. The Witness is great for CCW but illegal for hunting. I know that both ae excellent guns, and as for home protection either will do nicely. WHAT SHOULD I DO???
:feedback:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Keep the witness for CCW. When was the last time you needed the .45 while you were hunting? The only time I would see a use for a back-up .45acp while hunting would be hunting with a bow or primitive weapon - unfortunately, it is illegal in both of those situations. If you are holding a center-fire rifle or shotgun, you really don't need a pistol for backup - just carry more ammo for your long gun. Just my 2 cents - remember you ask!

Or, you could take the scope off the revolver in your avatar and use it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Where I hunt, a backup is necessary. Lots of mountain lions. A hunter just made the front page of our newspaper the other day that was attacked by a mountain lion. If it hadn't been for his pistol, he wouldn't of lived to tell the story. I wouldn't carry anything less than a .45 caliber as backup. The problem with mountain lions, is that they see you long before you see them...and they usually pounce on your back...not the easiest angle to shoot a rifle with any accuracy!!! LOL...I just pictured that in my mind.

Don, the Ruger P-series is a great line of pistols. I own a P-89 (which is a 9mm model) and it has never so much as jammed, and I've put somewhere around 1000 rounds through it. It's a solid gun, but bulky. I would recommend the Springfield XD .45ACP if you're wanting something that meets the 4" barrel minimum and can still be concealed. You can get it in a full frame size or medium, and they come in different barrel lengths. I have one, and it weighs a lot less that my P-89, is considerably more slim, and is a better shooter, PLUS, it has a tactical rail that I have an XD light attached to. I have six pistols all together, and it's the first one I would grab in a bad situation. Here's a pic of it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts